The origins of southern singing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
    Some of the prominent tribes who sing "Southern," at least war dance style, were Northern tribes in the pre-rez days....

Contemp,

To answer your question...

All tribes migrated, some by their own will, others by force. Singing styles began before the word southern and northern were invented.

The Kiowa were originally a Northern tribe with oral history accounts of migration through what is now Alberta, Canada.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
      Contemp,

To answer your question...

All tribes migrated, some by their own will, others by force. Singing styles began before the word southern and northern were invented.

The Kiowa were originally a Northern tribe with oral history accounts of migration through what is now Alberta, Canada.
      What a good topic to pull back up.
      To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

I agree with everyone so far in most aspects. I was told the same about the omaha to ohoma. Listen to those old tapes man, those old men could SKY. Even into the 70's and 80's...Uncle Neil..shoot. There wasn't too many that could catch him. Till Ronald. But as far as a date of origination, how would you designate a year for the birth of southern singing. Would you consider the omaha as the originators, and how would you date it, from their first ceremony? Or would you give accreditation to Kiowas or Comanches in "re-mixing" it into what it is today. I believe the question is What is the history of TODAY'S southern singing? If so you could point out that it's the oldest style singing(date unknown) correct me if im wrong* that it has evolved tremendously since its origination from the Omaha's...or something along those lines. Just some input...
        bucwild2012

Comment

Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.