The origins of southern singing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    No photos found.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• HOKAHEYGUY
    Whats the true story of Southern and Northern Singing
    by HOKAHEYGUY
    Dose anyone know the true story of how northern and southern singing came along like why northern singers sing high and why southern sing low?
    05-13-2004, 07:05 PM
  • Niwiwan2005
    Traditional VS. Contemporary
    by Niwiwan2005
    Over the last 25 years, there has been quite a bit of innovation among the Northern style of singing. In your opinion, what types of innovations have occurred among the southern style of singing. I realize that southern style is steeped in a rich tradition from the various tribes of the southern plains,...
    04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
  • Kiwehnzii
    Northern singing southern
    by Kiwehnzii
    What do you all think of a northern drum (not naming names) singing primarily southern tunes?
    I don't like it but my opinion don't matter.
    I'd like to hear specifically from singers from the southwest or Northern singers.

I should add that this group is Ojibwe.

06-26-2001, 08:54 PM
  • LSS
    different sides of singing
    by LSS
    How often are you called upon sing a northern style song?

How often do you this happen?

When this happens, do southern groups have their own songs or do they pull something from the "Top 40"?
    06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
  • WhoMe
    Traditional vs. Contemporary Southern
    by WhoMe
    Southern singing has certainly evolved in my lifetime. I've seen major changes in traditional tribal powwow singing. Some of these changes include:

1. Tone. The range of singing has now reached so high that you could shake hands with a jet pilot! Sing it. Don't scream it!
    2. S...
    04-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X