• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamama
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suthernwaterbird
    replied
    I agree with everyone so far in most aspects. I was told the same about the omaha to ohoma. Listen to those old tapes man, those old men could SKY. Even into the 70's and 80's...Uncle Neil..shoot. There wasn't too many that could catch him. Till Ronald. But as far as a date of origination, how would you designate a year for the birth of southern singing. Would you consider the omaha as the originators, and how would you date it, from their first ceremony? Or would you give accreditation to Kiowas or Comanches in "re-mixing" it into what it is today. I believe the question is What is the history of TODAY'S southern singing? If so you could point out that it's the oldest style singing(date unknown) correct me if im wrong* that it has evolved tremendously since its origination from the Omaha's...or something along those lines. Just some input...

Leave a comment:

• LSS
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Contemp,

To answer your question...

All tribes migrated, some by their own will, others by force. Singing styles began before the word southern and northern were invented.

The Kiowa were originally a Northern tribe with oral history accounts of migration through what is now Alberta, Canada.
    What a good topic to pull back up.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
    Some of the prominent tribes who sing "Southern," at least war dance style, were Northern tribes in the pre-rez days....

Contemp,

To answer your question...

All tribes migrated, some by their own will, others by force. Singing styles began before the word southern and northern were invented.

The Kiowa were originally a Northern tribe with oral history accounts of migration through what is now Alberta, Canada.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gledanh Zhinga
    replied
    Some of the prominent tribes who sing "Southern," at least war dance style, were Northern tribes in the pre-rez days. For example, the Kiowa had a Crow tribal connection, which still survives today. The Comanche had the Shoshone connection in the area of Wyoming. The Ponca and Pawnee were removed to the south from the northern Nebraska/South Dakota area. That the northerners sing high and the southerners sing low may be a matter of happenstance and slow evolution after the reservation period, as Contemptradish suggested, above. This is theory; it's difficult to nail this down with hard facts.

Leave a comment:

• TacO5000
    replied
    ok. well far as I know the southern sing came from the omaha tribe. and was given to the cheynne then was given to the kiowa who call it o-ho-ma and had there own logde. which was a misspronation of the omaha. the gourd dance was part of the kiowa sun dance. it was stopped because when the kiowa would get together around the fourth of july because of the summer solest was haulted because the us would send troops to kill the kiowa because it was the time when all kiowa band would get together. it was revived during the fiftys.
    the drum that is used today in pow wows came from the sioux which was given to the omaha and so on and so forth. southering singing is original and northern sing has just came around not too long ago. two different styles but both the licks!!
    round dance came from the southwestern tribes giving to the kiowa.

Leave a comment:

• Sahnish
    replied
    First let me say that I am not attacking you or anything like that. I am however very interested in history, that sounds like something that was written in a book, mind sharing the title of that book. I guess I am wondering how putting Indians on rez's would make them change styles? How did they decide whether to sing northern or sourthern, I mean they sing sourthern style in WI?

Leave a comment:

• contemptradish
    replied
    it is generally accepted that the two distinct styles of song and dance (northern and southern) developed in the 1850s and 60s, as reservation boundaries were being established. it forced a general shift of indian groups to both the north and the south, and, though based on the same warrior society dances, the two separate styles began to emerge.

Leave a comment:

• Sahnish
    replied
    Anyone?

Any good guesses as to when it started??

Leave a comment:

• Sahnish
    replied
    Sourthern and Northern are different in other ways than who sings the highest. The cut beats are different, in different places, different number, the starting singing soft and ending loud, having women as such a big part of the singing, etc etc. In my mind that is what makes sourthern and northern different. Where did that start??

Leave a comment:

• travelingmocs
    replied
    fffff
    Last edited by travelingmocs; 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The_Ultimate_Warrior
    replied
    Southern Boyz is a little to high. Thats why they never win first too much. They kick it too high and not all of them can get up there. Just my bro kelly and his dad and anthony and ronald. The others are just faking. If they did sing lower they would be hard to beat. That is my opinion, and it doesn't mean its true though.

So if records is reading don't try and explain the whole singing concept to every one again.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyInDn
    replied
    You probly have'nt heard the Southern Boys than!!!!!
    Talk about taking it HIGH!!!!

Leave a comment:

• southernsky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• contemptradish
    replied
    IRA

ahhh, now i get it! the indian reorganization act was really just to send all the indians who couldn't sing high to oklahoma!
    haha.:)

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X