Looking for seasoned Oklahoma (Mid-west) Southern Singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for seasoned Oklahoma (Mid-west) Southern Singers

Any of you fit this description? I'm looking for someone I can ask questions about Ponca, Otoe, Osage, Pawnee, Apache, etc. songs. Any help?

LSS

Throw your questions out. There are a lot of good singers on this board.

CEM

Comment

I've forgotten my original frame of thought. But I am a bit curious as to what various songs like the Ponca Flag Song (sung by Jimmy Kemble and the gang back in the day) mean. Also, what are some pretty common Guord Songs requested at Pow Wows?

LSS

ps - sorry about the spelling, I never was all that great

Comment

Hey I sent you PM. I hope it helps...
        ***Edited for explicit content***

Comment

Gourd Dancing

Just a note - I don't know what info you have already recieved. So please excuse me if I am repeating what you have already gotten.

Gourd Dancing is a seperate activity from Pow-Wows. I can see the confusion since most of the time around here at least, Gourd Dancing happens before Grand Entry at the Pow-Wow.

Actually there are formal Gourd Dances, like there are formal War Dances, if you are more familiar with Ponca Traditions? These dances are put on by Gourd Dance Societys or Associations, such as a Veterans Association, or sometimes by families. Gourd Dancers are Veterans. I don't know what may be happening in all parts of this country, but I am pretty sure that you have to be a Veteran in order to Gourd Dance. (edit 1/19/05 - this is not required)

As for the dance and songs - Credit is given to the KCA Tribes of OK - As in Kiowa, Commanche, Apache. They do Gourd Dance - have been for years. (1/19/2005 edit) *deleted* There are many gourd dance songs - some with words, some without. Some can be sung either way - one particular song, when sung with the words, is the only known Veterans Gourd Dance Song. Most Gourd Dance word songs that I know of are in Kiowa.

Gourd Dancing is somewhat structured - (1/19/2005 edit The order depends on the tradidtions the singers were taught) there is an order that the songs are sung in. For example, There is a starting song, and an ending song - each is sung once. How we were taught is The first four should be - Starting Song, Chief White Bear, Barking Song, Johnny Reed Song. (There is another song that can be sung instead of Johhny Reed, but I dont't remember the name right now. Some of the older singers may sing that, and it is still correct)

If someone inadvertantly sings the ending song during the gourd Dance, then the dance is over. In reality, if it was a legitimate mistake, the dance could continue or you could start again. But that is up to the drum chief / head singer and the head Gourd Dancer, who run the Gourd Dance. I say this because it has happened to our drum - another singer came up and helped us with the Gourd Dance session, and he helped us end it early. We started over.

Since there is such strict history and traditions behind Gourd Dances, you should not ever here a Gourd Dance song as part of the "Intertribal Dancing" at a Pow-Wow. Besides, the songs don't work well for regular dancing.

As for requests, most of the time there aren't really any since there is a set order to what songs are sung and when. Any requests are usually filtered through the head Gourd Dancer - who then makes the request of the drum for the song. There are family songs, that belong to certain families, such as the Zotigh Family. Usually any requests are from a certain family to hear their families Gourd Dance Song.

At times the head gourd dancer will call someone to be recognized, during the dance - simply in recognition of a dancer or VIP- then usually the drum sings whatever song is next in the order.

I hope that I have answered some questions - Thanks.

Jordan
          Last edited by Dawg Stylez; 01-19-2005, 12:48 PM.
          J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
          In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

Ending song?

What ending song are you talking about? Buffalo dance songs?

A lot of people think of the gourd dance song "Charlie Brown" (a.ka. Komalty Song) as a "closing song." However, since gourd dance songs usually build in intensity as the dance goes on, the last gourd dance song usually is "Charlie Brown" because it's one of the fastest and is, many times, expected to be sung at gourd dances. Officially, the buffalo dance is used to close out gourd dance sessions, but there are some singers who don't sing the buffalo dance songs at the everyday-style gourd dances. Could be because they save them for the 4th of July ceremonials. Can't answer that one exactly.

I've also been at gourd dances (Kiowa Tia Piah annual) where a Kiowa elder requested "Charlie Brown" for her special. I heard her say specifically "Charlie Brown," and that was the song that was sung. I also saw the same thing at a gourd dance in Comanche country there in Lawton. The gourd dance wasn't "started over" because that song was sung.

Just my two cents, and until I got paid yesterday, it was all the aulhaungya I had. Just kau aun, enit?

T.O.
            Buh!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg Stylez
              Gourd Dancing is a seperate activity from Pow-Wows. I can see the confusion since most of the time around here at least, Gourd Dancing happens before Grand Entry at the Pow-Wow.

Gourd Dancers are Veterans. I don't know what may be happening in all parts of this country, but I am pretty sure that you have to be a Veteran in order to Gourd Dance.

As for the dance and songs - Credit is given to the KCA Tribes of OK - As in Kiowa, Commanche, Apache. They do Gourd Dance - have been for years. These tribes were given the dance by the red wolf - hence the "howl" at the end of each song.

If someone inadvertantly sings the ending song during the gourd Dance, then the dance is over. If it was a legitimate mistake, you could start again, from the begining- but that is up to the drum chief and the head Gourd Dancer, who run the Gourd Dance.

As for requests, there aren't really any since there is a set order to what songs are sung and when. Any requests are usually filtered through the head Gourd Dancer - who then makes the request of the drum for the song. There are family songs, that belong to certain families, such as the Zotigh Family.

I hope that I have answered some questions - Thanks.

Jordan
              __

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. . .

Where did you get all your information?

All I can say at this point is: Buhhhhhhh? Whaaayyyy! GAAWWWW! Yikes! Damn! and Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

You're not serious are you?
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

"Charlie Brown" is not a quiting song just as there is no such thing as a Supper Song.

If I remember correctly there was a reason "Charlie Brown" got that name. If I remember correctly an elder told me a long time ago that that song was also givin to one Major Charles MacKenzie Brown, US Army sometime around the late 1800's or very early 1900's. But I'm not exactly sure, so I'll have to ask about that again. (I know someone asked about that somewhere in a post.)

And also the Gourd Dance is not for just Veteran's. The Kiowa Veteran's Society is the Black Leggings. I've belonged to the Tiah-Piah Society since I was 14 years old. When I came home fromt the Navy, then I was inducted to the Kiowa Black Leggings.
                Last edited by bqueton; 07-01-2004, 11:48 PM.
                If life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life; let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!

Comment

Sorry folks....we're talking about approx. two years since I posted this thread....I've matured since then and, as you can see....I've changed my name.

But again, I can't remember what my goal was here. I am familiar w/ the Starting Song, "Charlie Brown", and the Buffaloe Dance. Now, forgive my ignorance here, I can't remember all the names of the last few dances b/c most of the time I get to sing Gourd is maybe two or three times a year and it's merely an exihibition before the pow wow as you have mentioned. The Starting Song is the Starting Song, no matter what language...LOL...and seems as if I recognize the next three or four songs no matter what (well, at least depending on who is singing and within that set up, whose sitting where...lol). Now, at the end, I don't remember what order I've heard it, but if I had to put money on it (which, btw, I don't have any due to these damn high gas prices...lol), I would say I've heard "Charlie Brown" and then the Buffaloe Dance(s).....

Am I thinking correct here more than likely folks?

Also, is there more than one Buffaloe Dance people normally sing? Give me another year or two at the rate I'm going and I'll probably have the beginning and endings down pretty snug.

LSS
                  To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

well im told that there are no ending songs tridishionally. ending songs indicate that the dance and all of its values are over. these societies have values and morals that keep on gion after they have "paused" in the dancing portion. so really there are no ending songs. charlie brown can be sung during the gourd dance as a song or for the family it belongs to. even the ponca ending song or as it is called is jus a veteran song. so remember there is no ending songs cuz the society doesnt end it pauses the dance portion.

Comment

I've been told and heard from various peoples that "charlie brown" was a old bar song that was sung at last call, thats just what i heard, dont mean to ruffle feathers. Ole by the way poncas have several songs they close with.

Comment

Originally posted by LSS
                        Is there more than one Buffaloe Dance people normally sing? Give me another year or two at the rate I'm going and I'll probably have the beginning and endings down pretty snug. LSS
                        there are lots and lots of buffalo songs. And most of the gourd dance songs belong to certain families or individuals and lots of them songs have words. like other ppl have said on here there is no set order.

When ya'll sing gourd dance songs do you keep the gourd dance beat? who taught you gourd dance songs, just wondering?
                        Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Somethings Don't Change....

Originally posted by WhoMe
                          __

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. . .

Where did you get all your information?

All I can say at this point is: Buhhhhhhh? Whaaayyyy! GAAWWWW! Yikes! Damn! and Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

You're not serious are you?
                          I made my original post here two years ago. What part of what I posted are asking about? At this point, I have been singing for several years, and so far haven't found anything that was much different than what I posted, unless it was a bunch of people who had no clue.
                          In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg Stylez
                            I made my original post here two years ago. What part of what I posted are asking about? At this point, I have been singing for several years, and so far haven't found anything that was much different than what I posted, unless it was a bunch of people who had no clue.
                            __

Dawg,

If you look at your original post two years ago, you posted several inaccuracies. People who are wanting to learn about the gourd dance actually come to powwows.com for information. Sometimes this information that is posted on pws.com (both accurate and inaccurate) is passed on by individuals who read these threads.

I made my original quote on post #7. There are five sentences that are inaccurate and are highlighted in gray.
                            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

My apologies - for some reason I do not see the highlighted text. It may be my browser settings.

I re read my original post, and clarified / corrected some items. It may not agree with what you were taught, however it does not make the information wrong.

In no way should these posts / threads be considered the final authority on anything. As with anything, traditions can be changed, rules can be bent. In no way should any of our views be taken as THE way to do something. Reading something on a web site does not make one an expert on anything. Unfortunately, too many people think it does.
                              Last edited by Dawg Stylez; 01-19-2005, 12:54 PM.
                              In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X