Drum Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Sticks

Just wondering what everybody use to make their drum sticks out of?

I need to know too!

I was talkin to my friend the other night and he said to use guaze... the kind of guaze you use to wrap up boo boo's... but then another one of my friends said to use the bandaging tape too... on fiberglass sticks with buck skin ofcourse... but does it matter what kind of hide you should use depending on the hide of the drum???

Comment

Drum Sticks

I found that over many years fiberglass drums sticks work great.

As for the stick I use rubber foam for the core and then cover that with hide. Practically any hide will work. Depending on whether you want a hard, medium, or soft head you can use various amounts of fur in your core also.

I have discoverd that Icelandic Sheep or Angora works fantastic. I cover the core with the fur side out. Then I use the stick and trim the amount of fur off until I get just the right hardness I need. It is wise to have sticks of diffrent hardness depending on the Drum head material. It is also wise to have several sticks too.

As for decorating the stick, thread wrapping is the best way to go. It takes time but it looks great and actually adds to the strength of the stick.

Comment

Re: We covered this....

Originally posted by straightdancerinaz
        We talked about this way back in the "ancient" days here at Powwows.com....check out the Singing archives.

Come to think of it....

I handed out nearly ten drumsticks (I still owe some out) back then, in a challenge of sorts, to some people here.
        I'm curious, how are they holding up?
        I made this claim that my sticks would hold up pretty well under the most rigorous of uses, and that the heads won't come flying off. Heck, I've got sticks I made ten years ago, and they're still in use.....heavy use in the summer months.
        Anyhoo.... updates from those of you that got sticks would be most appreciated.
        wish i could tell ya, but still haven't seen it:Chatter not sweating it though. tough times all around.

Comment

hey SDAZ did you get that email i sent you last week or so?

Comment

sounds dirty but my boyfriend uses. Kotex pads!! (unused of course, for all u sick ppl out there!)
            "Deep Thoughts" By Jack Handy

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

"I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!, I'd have all my money back."

Comment

My man uses duct tape and yarn, I'm not an expert but it seems to do the trick.

Comment

TUM TUM BEATERS

NOW LETS SEE HERE~ IVE BEEN MAKING STICKS FOR AWHILE..AND IVE MADE QUITE A FEW...GOT THE NEEDLE TRACKS ON MY FINGER TIPS TO PROVE IT.LOL. BUT I DONT LIKE YARN~SIMPLY AFTER USING THE STICK FOR AWHILE IT SEEMS TO START GETTING LOSE AND THEN THE LEATHER IS ALL LOOSE AND THEN YOU GOT A LOOSE STICK,NOW WHO WANTS A LOOSE. HERES A STORY:I WAS OUT IN MT PLEASANT MICH AND THIS DRUM GROUP NEXT TO US WAS REALLY SHOWING ME THIER STICKS. ASKIGN IF I WANTED TO BUY ONE..THESE THINGS WERE HURT LOOKING..LIKE WAKING UP NEXT TO A BABE AFTER THE 9 IS OVER...THAT HURT LOOKING. BUT I LIKE TO USE DUCT TAPE~FIBER GLASS RODS~SUEDE LEATHER~AND A FEW OTHER SECRETS I CANT LET OUT..........BUT A STICK IS A STICK, I PERFER A NICE STICK THAT IS MADE WITH PERCISION AND TIME. YOU DONT WANNA SING WITH AN UGLY STICK..JUST AS LONG AS ITS NICE LOOKING AND KEENLY MADE. AND SOME KINDA COLOR CORDINATION.~~AH TO DA HO!!
                :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Originally posted by TradDancer04
                  Just wondering what everybody use to make their drum sticks out of?
                  4 INCH ELASTIC AND ADHISIVE SPRAY

Comment

Birthday Present....

I am making a southern style drum stick for my li' brother in law..lol..he'll be 25...anywayz....I ordered the kit from Crazy Crow for economical reasons...but it comes with:
                    fiberglass drum stick rod
                    padding
                    leather for head and handles
                    glovers needles
                    bobbin
                    beeswax
                    instructions

I guess my question is this..should I change out the padding they send and replace it with some or one of the suggestions listed above and what can I do to really make his stick look cool..like the thread wrapping or something along that line...if I do the thread wrapping what kind of thread and how do I attach it...etc, etc....never made a drum stick before so this will be a first time attempt but he is learning to sing and I thought this would be a neat present for him.....
                    OrangePridendnds1
                    "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                    Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                    ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                    Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Originally posted by orangepridendns1
                      I guess my question is this..should I change out the padding they send and replace it with some or one of the suggestions listed above and what can I do to really make his stick look cool?......
                      __

orangeP1:

Uhhhh?

Use the suggestion MaggieB's boyfriend uses.

Except....

put it on the outside.

*LOL

j/k

*really

j/k
                      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

i thought this was a thread about turkey...

Comment

Forget the fur....

You gotta think about the drum they're gonna be used on a little, but a good stick will translate to a good sound on just about any drum.

My secrets are simple and no secret. Scrap cloth (you can buy it for 2 bucks a yard at wal-mart or even cheaper) and duct tape. A little glue. Fiberglass bicycle poles and good quality leather.

The great part about using scrap cloth (cloth like bed sheets) is you can use one piece and wrap it as tight or loose as you need to in order to get the sound you want out of it. The duct tape seals everything together and you can adjust the weight by how much you use.

Some leather and some good sewing skills to cover it all up.

Cheap and easy to find materials and simplicity do the trick for me and the sticks I make seem to take some rough beatings and keep coming back....

The only real secret I have is what I do to keep the stick head from getting loose or flying off the stick. ;)
                          Underneath all this genius I'm just a human being.....but I'm working on that.....

Comment

Hey all, have a look in the gallery and check out some sets of sticks I've made, they're durable, last, and the heads and handles hold together really well, so I've been told (I know the sticks we use are going on there fouth summer, some there fifth)......I use all kinds of tape to decorate the sticks (as u can see from the gallery pics), from flashy to conservative......For the heads, I use neither gauze, bandages, or yarn, I do use fibre-glass rods, and do use various colours of quality leather..............oh, and I do sell them............if ur interested lemme know.......I have many satisfied drum groups, they include Starblanket Jr's, Redstone Ojibway, Eastern Eagle, Redhorse, etc, etc, etc......
                            Last edited by aye_how_er_007; 12-23-2004, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Noodlz & Aye for the information...I think that will help me some...Have you ever used boaters tape? Kinda like duct tape to wrap the rod in? I saw a thread wrapped one at Two Pony's Trading Post the other day and really liked it..may do that..

Thanks Who Me!! I needed a little laugh this am. .all tryna be serious and learn something to pass on j/k So you think the Kotex is the way to go - but only on the outside..just skip the hide huh?? He can tell everybody. .WhoMe said to do it this way... j/k

The options listed on here for the core are:
                              foam rubber
                              guaze
                              fur
                              unused Kotex pads
                              duct tape
                              yarn
                              elastic
                              scrap fabric

Not sure what kind of "padding" material Crazy Crow sends but I'll check it out and then decide which option is the best...Thanks again!
                              Last edited by orangepridendns1; 12-23-2004, 12:58 PM. Reason: wrong character posted from smilie list - didn't post what it showed....
                              OrangePridendnds1
                              "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                              Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                              ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                              Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X