Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fancy Maiden
    replied
    what makes me mad is when there is a good singer on a drum and he gets mad at the head singer and decides that he is goin to sit at the drum with his mouth shut and drum off beat. And I hear the other guys on the drum saying that he is just trouble, and he is! Thats my two!

Leave a comment:

• ScarFace
    replied
    Sorry web master But Horse Dungg!!!!!!!!!

Don't let insiders say the wrong title!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ScarFace
    replied
    Horse dung!!!!!!!

I think Singing bad *** Is full of horse dung!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry only kidding!!!!!!!
    NOT REALLY!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• durty-kawdayz49
    replied
    Originally posted by travelingmocs
    Singing is a powerfull thing, and I see alot of people, white and indian just get out there and beat the hell out of the drum and try to sing. Now I am no expert on singing. But there is alot being lost out there at the drum. I do not think it shoud matter as to what your skin color is but how hard you work to sing the right way.

Now some indians will yell at me for what i say, and thats fine they have that right. But I hear veteran songs being used for contest and all types of stuff going on around a drum that should not happen. As BH said singings need to learn about being humble and respectfull to the drum, and learn to be a servant to the dancer
    Veteran songs as contest songs?? you must started those contest songs? Depending on certain songs the way you sing it, makes it either a war dance song or veterans song. Take my family song for instant when you sing it stright(No Words) it is a song that can be used for intertribal or contest. If you throw the words in it then it becomes a veteran song....
    When it comes to beating the drum there are drummers and there are singers. I have been told to sing as hard as I hit the drum. Thas what I do. After a weekend of singing I can hardly talk thas how I do it ya know!

Durty

Leave a comment:

• Vision_Dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by ndn_ave
    go help them out .................................AYE!

I agree with you , if they can't sing help them out, everything happens for a reason, so obvisioly they're there to learn, Creator knows what's best he will ultimatly let you know what to do...

Leave a comment:

• bl@ckfoothoney
    Guest replied
    expert huh......LMao

Leave a comment:

• travelingmocs
    replied
    Being Humble

Singing is a powerfull thing, and I see alot of people, white and indian just get out there and beat the hell out of the drum and try to sing. Now I am no expert on singing. But there is alot being lost out there at the drum. I do not think it shoud matter as to what your skin color is but how hard you work to sing the right way.

Now some indians will yell at me for what i say, and thats fine they have that right. But I hear veteran songs being used for contest and all types of stuff going on around a drum that should not happen. As BH said singings need to learn about being humble and respectfull to the drum, and learn to be a servant to the dancer
    Last edited by travelingmocs; 05-27-2004, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• western_wishes
    replied
    all i gots to say is that
    Drew Armstrong
    Bo Limbaugh
    Marvin ? (from Texas)
    can sing with the best of them no matter what!!! they got the teachings, the respect, and the humbleness(is that a word) and thats all you need!!!

Leave a comment:

• kiowa captive
    replied
    DUUUUhhh! the white guy at the drum is always White no Sh** t dumb A**

You must be from OK, I am white as they Get and I can sing Indian with any of them, BH won't reply. but I will if you see me you will know Me, 6'5, 290, Red hair and proud to be a Kiowa Captive if you see me at a pow wow come and say Hi.

If you have Problem come up after the dance and see me, will talk.. No problem.

Dan,

come see Me say hi tough Guy!

Leave a comment:

• billyjoejimbob
    replied
    NDNTACO - I agree, I can always pics out white guys singing from Indian. NDN singers have that certain sound.

BROWNHORNET - I also agree with you about the being humble and all the other points you brought. A lot of this is overlooked nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• TacO5000
    replied
    I've noticed that when you have a white guy or black guy it doesn't sound the samn as when its all NDN around the drum.
    And the younger NDN singers of today don't sound like the old heads? Myself I enjoy sitting at a drum looking around and seeing all skins.... Always gives me a good feeling!

Leave a comment:

• kiowa captive
    replied
    what the ehll!

BH,

You sound just like some one I know!

but, I think that if you can sing you can sing if you can't everyone knows the second a sound comes out of your mouth, I only know of a hand full of non Indian singers that can sing and most of them are truely nice guys that would help you out in'a second. and love singing!

Wheres the love!

Leave a comment:

• medicineboisingincuz
    replied
    here ya go

ok im overhere on the eastcoast and thats all there is in ga is hobbiest. nevertheless this is also where berky monoessy lives.so whats the problem with hobbiest powwwos? everything is what you make of it. a name is a name. thats all it is. a powwow is a powwow. u r the one that creates the good feeling and good healing atmosphere. no me i've been singin around a buncha cominatches ma hole life and i'd consider myself comanche before cherokee. but.... the way i was taught was u open that drum to anyone who will respect it, sing on it, serve it, and treat it right. jus cuz a guy got skillz dont mean u cut him down. u give him constructive critiscism. give him a designated spot to sing on if need be(i hate when its offbeat too). its all about singin the right song for them dancers to tell their stories. so u give em songs to dance to and if someone wants to sit in you let them help u serve them dancers. thas jus wut ive been taught.(victor tachiweika,berky and neil mo, kahoo burgess, rc mowatt. im out yall il be in lawton july 4th then its off too cortez. lata

Leave a comment:

• SBZ4life
    replied
    well....If a "non" native sits at the drum, if he wants to learn then he has the right to sit there, you gotta have a want to and you also have to have a gift of singing, I believe.

And about people splattering names all on the internet or on this powwows.com deal. I said NO names to start with....

Leave a comment:

• BrownHornet
    replied
    I agree with singing-badass...Too many names posted here. Believe it or not some people dont like to see their names splattered all over cyberspace.

BH

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X