Ponca Prayer Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponca Prayer Song

For a few months now, I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a correct phonetic spelling for this Ponca Prayer song. The song that I speak of is on the Millard Clark and Southern Singers cd from the National Veterans Powwow in 1998. I have a somewhat correct translation written down, but was warned by the person who told me that it was not entirely correct.

If you have any information about this song as well, it would be great to know. It it such a reverent and beautiful song, that neglecting the proper way to sing it and its history would be disrespecting the song greatly.

I remember seeing on the cd saying that He Is Coming, and from a rough translation that I have received, I remember the person telling me that the song speaks of a savior coming, since a very reverent man, Old Man Yellow Bear, wrote it.

Anything any of you can do to help out would be great.

Thanks.
    Last edited by akkdancer185; 07-21-2006, 11:42 AM.

I do believe I know of the song you are referring to...at least I'm thinking of two. In either regard the composer, if I am not mistaken, has passed on. You'll want to speak directly with a "Ponca Singer" with years to his credit. If it is in fact a "legit" song, as deemed credible by the Ponca people, they'll be more than happy to share with you about the song. If not, you may get the perverbial "cold shoulder". I know for a fact you could get some good, honest information from guys like Jimmy Kemble and Kinsel Lieb.

I don't mean any harm in this (as I have done the same thing too, only to get very little, if any, response back) but the correct way to go about obtaining songs like this is through one on one. Hell, to be perfectly honest with you, if you know of the individual and he is "computer savvy", it probably wouldn't hurt communicating through email or IM.

Coming out in your third post and throwing it around is not the way to do it. More power to you if you get someone to throw you a "bone" right away...just as a word of caution, "Do you think you can really trust that information?"

LSS
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Nevermind, I've have recieved information on it.

Thanks anyways everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by LSS
        I know for a fact you could get some good, honest information from guys like Jimmy Kemble and Kinsel Lieb.
        AKK,

I agree with LSS.

If you want information for this particular song, ask a Ponca singer.....

It IS their song!
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.