Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does Your Drum Sing for Non-Southern Categories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheyenneDaddy View Post
    Hi WhoMe!
    Yes, I went all over with my Uncle Jack from the mid eighties on up. It was really awesome!

Hi Southern Waterbird
    Then I bet we know each other.

I sang with the 2LiveKrewofGreyHorseat Morley and Calgary Stampede among others.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
      I sang with ma cohn (Ducky) once, I was supposed to go to canada with them last nov, but couldnt make the trip.
      Originally Posted by CheyenneDaddy
      Hi WhoMe!
      Yes, I went all over with my Uncle Jack from the mid eighties on up. It was really awesome

i miss the times when all my uncles and aunties traveled and sang together. now so many of them are gone and just a few left. i still love to hear and see them sing.
      "They say women's dance is graceful; well, i don't like the word graceful walk because we're dancing hard as we can. You get out of breath, you get tired. When i get in the area, get ready, there's only good thoughts. By any means, you get out there to say i want people to look at me, i'm out here, i'm dancing, you know you just feel so great. You took alot of care into dressing."~Mary Ann Anquoe

Comment

Hey Who.... ya'll got a song for duck n dive??? I dig the fact that yall compose yer own songs for all catagories. I like that side step song yall had one of yalls first album.... I'd like to learn other songs for various catagories....... I remember I was in oregon at a powwow and youngbird was there... they were called up on for a grassdance song... and they just sang a slow intertribal..... wasn't a good song for grass dancers.

also yall are one of my fav drum groups.... be having all dem navajos.. and pueblo ndns singing in kiowa... now thats just keen.....!
        Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Well....

Since we are from the upper great lakes area, we often run across the call for a non-southern contest song. We do one of two things: We use a "golden-oldie" northern straight song and do it in the southern style, or we compose southern songs to meet the need for the northern catagories.

Either way, we are usually ready to meet the challenge..dont want to be passed-over in the drum rotation you know.

Comment

Same Era!

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
            Then I bet we know each other.

I sang with the 2LiveKrewofGreyHorseat Morley and Calgary Stampede among others.
            Wow I bet we do know each other Who! 2LiveKrew!!!!! Those guys were nuts (I mean are) Aye!! That was a year before me cause I remember those stories. I begged to go on thaT TRIP BUT i GOT THE CHOPS!! I believe Duffield was the other powwow if Im not mistaken right?? Was there more?
            CDaddy

Comment

"From the what's going down episode of That's My Momma!"

Originally posted by TacO5000 View Post
              Hey Who.... ya'll got a song for duck n dive??? I dig the fact that yall compose yer own songs for all catagories. I like that side step song yall had one of yalls first album.... I'd like to learn other songs for various catagories....... I remember I was in oregon at a powwow and youngbird was there... they were called up on for a grassdance song... and they just sang a slow intertribal..... wasn't a good song for grass dancers.

also yall are one of my fav drum groups.... be having all dem navajos.. and pueblo ndns singing in kiowa... now thats just keen.....!

A-Ho Taco! Thanks for the comments and hope you are having a great year so far too!!!
              Randy Watson LOL thats my fav movie!

Comment

Originally posted by CheyenneDaddy View Post
                Wow I bet we do know each other Who! 2LiveKrew!!!!! Those guys were nuts (I mean are) Aye!! That was a year before me cause I remember those stories. I begged to go on thaT TRIP BUT i GOT THE CHOPS!! I believe Duffield was the other powwow if Im not mistaken right?? Was there more?
                CDaddy

CD,

Yeah Duffield, Onion Lake and Peguis were the other ones.

It was a memorable summer. We made some lasting friendships in Canada. We only travelled with enough singers that could fit in your uncle Jack's van. I learned it is hard travelling in such close quarters for more than a month.
                Last edited by WhoMe; 02-16-2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TacO5000 View Post

TacO,

Yeah I composed one. But, since then I talked to a Nez Perce historian and now I wouldn't want to use it. Thank goodness we have never been asked to render one!

We have been asked to sing a chicken dance, in drum rotation for round bustle dancers in Omak, Washington. I made a sweet chicken dance song and got to use it there.

Comment

CD,

Yeah Duffield, Onion Lake and Peguis were the other ones.

It was a memorable summer. We made some lasting friendships in Canada. We only travelled with enough singers that could fit in your uncle Jack's van. I learned it is hard travelling in such close quarters for more than a month.

I remember you guys from Morley Powwow. I like your fancy dance songs

Comment

TacO,

Yeah I composed one. But, since then I talked to a Nez Perce historian and now I wouldn't want to use it. Thank goodness we have never been asked to render one!

We have been asked to sing a chicken dance, in drum rotation for round bustle dancers in Omak, Washington. I made a sweet chicken dance song and got to use it there.
                      Dang... the good old Omak Stampede... Home of the World famous Suicide Race...

Went there once... man WhoMe.. where are you from?
                      I became a singer because I love to sing... and to feed my addiction to cough drops!

Comment

Originally posted by RedShield View Post
                        Dang... the good old Omak Stampede... Home of the World famous Suicide Race...

Went there once... man WhoMe.. where are you from?

RedS,

I used to jump in with different drum groups so I could travel, hit new powwows and meet new people. GrayHorse was one of these drum groups that I was a "pick up."

The actual drum group that I am a member of was a host drum for the Marchand Family Memorial Powwow at the new Omak longhouse.
                        Last edited by WhoMe; 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X