Eat my shorts......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat my shorts......

Man whats up with Southern Singers and Shorts??? I've been noticing that Southern groups are starting to wear shorts...?? These are Oklahoma, Who know better, Drum groups??? What happend to tryna look your best....? You know good and well that they wouldn't pull a silly stunt like that back home... and if they did they wouldn't be aloud to sing, and get an ear full from dem old women???

Whats really going on????
    Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

it's cuz nobody is gonna say anything to them..because they are the authority being from oklahoma...(so they think)
    bucwild2012

Comment

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
      it's cuz nobody is gonna say anything to them..because they are the authority being from oklahoma...(so they think)
      and even if anyone said anything most of those drum groups wouldn't care.....the're to ignorant and dont care about how things are done back home and wont care till they are back home....

they just wanna be cool and live the life of a rockstar!

It's the Truth!!!
      "Most of you dont like me, All of you dont have to. But from the bottom of my heart, Thanks for noticing me!"-Nashoba Simmons

Comment

aint it tho...who can look tha prettiest?
        bucwild2012

Comment

Some years ago....

I learned that 1st hand....We co-hosted with a Saaathurn group (we were Naaathern) Well....I come cruising by some Grandmas Friday night bout ready to set up and of course I was wearing shorts....BAAAA! Not good! The looks I got....GAAAAWD! Needless to say by Sunday I was wearing my bros tight azz pants...(see I had none...) Just figured out of respect....If it's seen that way or observed that way....I'll tell ya though singing in OK i've observed that protocol....Remember being in Shawnee and we just headed over to check out Gourd dancing...It was Early! Grand entry wasn't until 7pm....Those dancers looked sharpe....So we headed back and changed....We didn't look like bums, but we felt it was appropriate....Several noted singers have visted with me and shared that observation....I understand....and respect it....
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Earlier this month at the Western Heights powwow (OKC) the MC basically called a few guys out inbetween giveaways. It wasn't just for wearing shorts, either. She added hats and short sleeve shirts to the list. You could hear the snickers in the crowd and a few of the young fellas, in the center, reached up and snatched their hats off (real sly)in the middle of all of this. She made her point, that was for sure.
            "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

I'd say to knock....

A singer for wearing a hat is pushing it.....Now if it was a dingy rugged smelly hat, maybe, but c'mon....?
              "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

I know it's a southern thread but just adding some info.

The older fellas I learned to sing from would talk about the ol' man they learned from. (Ndn folks, especially up north will understand the "ol' man" status of a knowledgeable elder.)

He made it a point to teach them that singers, respected for their role in the community, knowledge of numerous family songs, and participation in ceremonies as well as social song/dance, were expected to carry themselves in a respectful manner around the drum. Long sleeve shirts, long pants, and a hat, not baseball cap, as long as it was taken off when it was time to sing. Clothes were to be well kempt and clean.

Interesting. I hadn't heard mention of this practice since the older fellas had mentioned it to me and my brother when we were younger.

And, as a confession, I'm guilty of wearing shorts at the big drum, too, and no they weren't daisy dukes! 'Round here, a reference to shorts would be considered your chonies, cut-offs are short pants....okay, continue

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

Is it any worse than seeing drummers dressed like black gangsters. I would rather see a big rolly drummer in some skin covering shorts, due to the extreme heat, than another wanta-B gangster sitting at a drum. OK, now I have a little bile in my throat....J/K

Comment

Hey, I only wear big clothes cuz they're hand me downs!

That, and I gotta skinny legs and a fat belly!

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

yep ball caps sideways, are a no!short sleeve polos are ok to me if its summer, but either way i say they must be tucked. even if your boat hangs over...lol....gotta be at that point in your life where you have to decide wether or not your gonna still wear your pants under or over that tubeLOL!!!

but yea i was there at western hieghts, that mc was tuff!
                      "Most of you dont like me, All of you dont have to. But from the bottom of my heart, Thanks for noticing me!"-Nashoba Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by cakewalk View Post
                        but yea i was there at western hieghts, that mc was tuff!
                        Gwah..... This is Oklahoma now.... these singers know better.... good to hear ppl being regulated on.....!!! Who was da M.C..... sounds like a Kiowa guy....???? I make sure I'm Stright when I sing esp. when my kiowa fam r head singers.... cuz I don't wanna hear it from my dem...... I' make sure I'm "So Fresh and So Clean, Clean!!!", or I'm "Fresh ta Death!!" cuz "Pimpin ain't eazy!!" cuz "It's Hard out here for a Pimp!!!" I don't care if 107 outside.... I be a sweaty long sleve having pimp!!!
                        Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TacO5000 View Post
                          Gwah..... This is Oklahoma now.... these singers know better.... good to hear ppl being regulated on.....!!! Who was da M.C..... sounds like a Kiowa guy....???? I make sure I'm Stright when I sing esp. when my kiowa fam r head singers.... cuz I don't wanna hear it from my dem...... I' make sure I'm "So Fresh and So Clean, Clean!!!", or I'm "Fresh ta Death!!" cuz "Pimpin ain't eazy!!" cuz "It's Hard out here for a Pimp!!!" I don't care if 107 outside.... I be a sweaty long sleve having pimp!!!
                          The MC was a Kiowa woman. lol Martha Koomsa Perez.
                          "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

There is this Southern Group I sing with (only if they dont tease the hell out of me). They do the same thing, wear hats and short cuts. I was taught that Pow Wows are like ceremonies, and you dont wear those kind of clothes at a function like that. But of course you get one or two people that complain that its hot, and wearing clothes like that are more comfertable.

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

I guess this goes to show that not everyone has the same beliefs...I was taught that at a dance/powwow..they were never meant to be ceremonies..they're all about having fun, having a good time, singing and dancing just coming together to celebrate life and well being, participating in dances social and meaningful..That dosen't mean you can show up looking and acting disrespectful...when you go to your grandma's house...you pull up your pants, turn your hat around and clean up your language, do you not? Same goes for the powwow...somebody else's grandma is there, even if yours isn't...coming out there lookin someway kinda ruins it for them...
                              bucwild2012

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.