Does anyone know this song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know this song?

I think it's a southern song, but I'm not sure. I haven't heard it in a couple of years, but the chorus sounds something like this:

anura honga washusay alinga nepe daoea

It's probably spelled completely wrong, I just spelled it as it sounds. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what it's called.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by tmifancyshawl View Post
    I think it's a southern song, but I'm not sure. I haven't heard it in a couple of years, but the chorus sounds something like this:

anura honga washusay alinga nepe daoea

It's probably spelled completely wrong, I just spelled it as it sounds. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what it's called.
    Thanks!

*L

Yeah, I know it.

Its a Ponca song about their main man the "NuDon' Honga."
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Yeah that's one of the songs my husband sings with the Plainsmen. I hae to hear it all the time.
      The look on a baby's face the first time they hear the drum is priceless.......

Comment

nudaN hoNga washushe uthina tiba de oN he the the

The leader has come to look for a brave and courageous warrior. nudaN honga is the leader. washushe is brave. Uthina tibedoN; he came looking.
        Sylvester Warrior's comments, 1966, from a Tyrone Stewart tape. Remasterd & thanks to Michael Emling.

In the second part, it names the man. MoNchu ZhiNga (Little Bear), the man's name.

It is a Ponca "war dance" song. The 'th' sound sounds nearly like an English 'l'. Capital 'N' is a nazalized 'n'.

Comment

Thanks...

While I know this song and its meaning...I feel it is more appropriate for others to share.

Great GZ!

LSS
          To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X