Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic

Originally posted by Metasonya120691 View Post
    a lot of drums out here just don't care.

but im proud to say we[[Walking Bear Singers]] do A LOT of research on songs before we sing them.

some drums butcher songs just to say they sing them, and make them, i hate to say, STUPID, in the way to make them 'fun'. but its total b.s. i think a lot of drums need to learn respect, and learn the actual song before singing it in public.
    Hey Metasonya! I have to ask as it's really buggin' me. I'm gettin old and my eyes sometimes play tricks on me. But in your avitar, what is that sittin on the person in red's head? It looks like there's a wolf's head or something up there. Is it a tree in the background? The other trees don't look that tall. Unfortunately, I can't make the picture any larger. Serious question.

Thanks!
    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

K, I have nothing profound to add, but it just reminded me of something my Grandpa Tommy Roughface said to me one time. When I decided to start singing and went out to the drum he told me there were three kinds of singers out there....

the singers....

the drummers.....

and the hummers.....

aye! I was cracking up.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

haha ... and you forgot the other subgroup ... the "milli vanilli's" .. sittin there with their sticks at the drum wit their mouth open at the correct times LMFAO
        Watch your broken dreams...
        Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff View Post
          haha ... and you forgot the other subgroup ... the "milli vanilli's" .. sittin there with their sticks at the drum wit their mouth open at the correct times LMFAO

lol aka the drummers!!! THOSE SGUYSSS be the ones tryna look tha keenest 2 ennit...makin up for not singin haha..then go brag bout jammin wit tha boyz 2 tha babes!!! rugget wuns 2!! lol
          bucwild2012

Comment

Originally posted by Metasonya120691 View Post
            a lot of drums out here just don't care.

but im proud to say we[[Walking Bear Singers]] do A LOT of research on songs before we sing them.

some drums butcher songs just to say they sing them, and make them, i hate to say, STUPID, in the way to make them 'fun'. but its total b.s. i think a lot of drums need to learn respect, and learn the actual song before singing it in public.
            Hey why don't you put a clip up on here or a link to a clip of ya'll singing.... then we'll see how researched and correct ya'll sang ok?!!?!?! Upload it So we can check ya'll out!! DO IT DO IT!!!
            Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SingerMD View Post
              East of the Mississippi there are several groups that simply butcher songs, but think they are all that. What’s your take on groups that can’t or don’t know how to sing songs correctly? Has anyone confronted these so called "good" drums, or do you just let them be and not waste your time?
              well, songs change, thats the powwow world, but people need to ask permission and sing songs right,ect. I know wat your talking about and I've seen it, duh, I live in Florida, but I've had the priveldge of singing with people who know wat they're doing, so I think they should have some guidance.
              Last edited by crazytraddancer; 03-28-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytraddancer View Post
                well, songs change, thats the powwow world, but people need to ask permission and sing songs right,ect. I know wat your talking about and I've seen it, duh, I live in Florida, but I've had the priveldge of singing with people who know wat they're doing, so I think they should have some guidance.

Who in florida knows what they're talking about...NOT SAYING THERE ISN'T anyone..but just would like to know specifically who you're referring to.
                bucwild2012

Comment

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
                  Who in florida knows what they're talking about...NOT SAYING THERE ISN'T anyone..but just would like to know specifically who you're referring to.
                  well, people from out of state of course, like Billy Evans Horse, the Kiowa tribal chairman or something like that. He's from oklahoma, pretty much everyone in Oklahoma knows him, and kinda got powwows started in Florida. When he comes to sing people come outta the woodwork, like one powwow the year before had 8 or 10 people there, the next year, he sang there and there was about 1000 or so.

I was just putting it in that if you are looking for Hokey and wanna see some rules broken, come to some of the morons over here. There are some good ones, and people who know the right way, but there are a lot of morons around. And like you said Ive seen some poor excuses for drums. Now there are a lot of good peple who know what theyre doing, but i can definately feel your pain.
                  Last edited by crazytraddancer; 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Good Drums Bad Drums

Originally posted by SingerMD View Post
                    East of the Mississippi there are several groups that simply butcher songs, but think they are all that. What’s your take on groups that can’t or don’t know how to sing songs correctly? Has anyone confronted these so called "good" drums, or do you just let them be and not waste your time?
                    I have been singing about 15 years. I am slightly distressed about this good drum bad drum thing. I think it more depends on your attitude and actions. There is no such thing as a perfect song, or drum. Songs of our ancestors were not exact. They had inflection for language. How many times have we said we are different?
                    Sing and take the joy form that. When I hear a drum that I feel is not good or in not acting right, or is not trying to represent the song, I leave.

Comment

Again and Again

Originally posted by crazytraddancer View Post
                      I don't disagree I think that all that etiquette should be followed. We Do. But there is a lot more to it than asking permission. When we sing and a drum sets up and doesn't respect the host we get upset. We have found over the years that if we get too upset, all the idiots come out of the woodwork. They think they are entitled to sing because they listened to a CD. Thats on them.

All I can say is judge what you see and hear. If you think you can be constructive and can help DO that. IF not just wait until a drum you can dance/liisten to comes on.

Can you imagine if the OLD Grandfathers heard some of the songs that they sung way back The way WE do them today , how they would react? All the old guys I know help me anytime I ask. Also I sang in OKI, with prominent drums that I won't name drop, and although it was a bit different it wasn't all that different They didn't criticize me and I have been asked back? Don't count us out just because we are from the northeast.

Comment

Whats this "we" stuff. If I sing a song..I know where it comes from. Or I don't sing it..And ma Cohn is from Ok, not FL, but I noticed when he comes and sings, the people that sit in, when he's not around try to act CHIEF because they sat next to him. It's ridiculous. I'm sick of Florida cept for a few that are ok, but the rest pshh im good.
                        bucwild2012

Comment

getting more depressed.

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
                          Whats this "we" stuff. If I sing a song..I know where it comes from. Or I don't sing it..And ma Cohn is from Ok, not FL, but I noticed when he comes and sings, the people that sit in, when he's not around try to act CHIEF because they sat next to him. It's ridiculous. I'm sick of Florida cept for a few that are ok, but the rest pshh im good.
                          I say "WE" cause I listen to a lot of stuff with the older guys and when I ask an elder about a song they relate to me the many ways they have sung, and do sing, the song. If they are with different lead singers. I don't mean young either. Are they wrong?

You don't have to be from OK. or FLA, or the REZ, or whatever sing the song I will appreciate that song if you are singing with your heart and your head straight Now I have heard songs BUTCHERED, by many Drums, I have commented, and they think that I am giving them a hard time.

You know the idiots, are we really talking about them here?

For example I know an elder that changed his Family song, because he no longer wanted it in the public. I like both songs. We have permission to use both songs out of respect We don't use the song that was pulled back.

There is also not I in DRUM. so I use "WE".

1 more thing you are very fortunate to know the spirits that created the songs If you know where they come from you must be very old.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasthawk View Post
                            1 more thing you are very fortunate to know the spirits that created the songs If you know where they come from you must be very old.

Fast,

For some reason, southern drums are getting away from singing old songs. The exception would be at community powwows in Oklahoma. Each year new songs are composed by young singers. With this information, it is hard to tell who composed ALL songs.

There is really no magic or spirits associated with new compositions. Some composer was probably driving down the road, a catchy tune comes to mind and he grabs a recorder. When he gets home, he listens to the song and refines it. Next he teaches it to his buddies and Poof* a song is born!!!
                            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                              Fast,

For some reason, southern drums are getting away from singing old songs. The exception would be at community powwows in Oklahoma.
                              So I gotta ask, Why? Why do you think singers are moving away from the old songs? Do you think its always been that way, with each generation moving away from the old songs and the "good" songs from that generation become the old songs of a couple of generations down the road?

Just curious to what people think about this.

Thanks!
                              "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

This is just a question.....

Unless a special song is requested, isn't the choice of song completely at the discression of the person who starts it? Especially intertribals and straight contest songs.

I know some drum guys who are always trying to make new songs. And they have some good "catchy" (for lack of a better word) older songs, but they don't sing them any more. I wish they would.

I think that is why I like Southern singing because there are those songs that you hear at least once at every powwow. And it feels good to hear them.

I hope that's not too far off topic....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.