• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peekaboo
    Junior Dancer
    • Jan 2003

Question For You Southern Singers

FOR ALL YOU SINGERS I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

ME AND SOME FRIENDS WERE OUT AT FORT TOT AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS WANTED TO GO SING BACK UP BEHIND ONE OF THE DRUMS. THERE WERE NO OTHER BACK UP SINGERS BEHIND THEM AND SHE REALLY WANTED TO SING BUT WAS AFRAID THAT SHE WOULD GET A LOOK OF "WHO'S THIS GIRL?"
    SO LEAD SINGERS OR SINGERS IN GENERAL, DO YOU MIND IF UNFAMILIAR WOMEN COME SING BACK UP AS LONG AS THEY KNOW THE SONGS OR WOULD YOU RATHER THAT YOU KNOW THEM? SHE DOES SING VERY VERY GOOD I HAVE TO ADD.
    "Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
  • WhoMe
    PauWau Coordinator
    • Jul 2003

I sing. My drum puts out tapes and we travel coast-2-coast as host and invited drum.

It is an honor when women who we are not familiar with, come to our drum and sing our tunes. The more the merrier. It makes us feel good and enhances the songs we sing.

Its is a win-win situation.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• loves southern singn'

Well said "WhoMe"!

I love having back up singers! They do indeed add a lot of character to songs. I just wish more people would take part in things like singing!

Comment

• bosshogg49n'
        Pow Wow Visitor
        • Jul 2002

as long as you know the song sing away

Comment

• powwowbum49
          Arena Director
          • Sep 2000

come on up!!!

As long as it aint a song the group is being judged on during singing contest then I have never had a problem with it. WhoMe summed up my views rather well.
          PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

• theepowwowchic49
            Senior Dancer
            • Jul 2003

I Do

Peekaboo I just go in and sing.
            Like the men mentioned above, they like having women back up singers.
            And I am always more than happy to please the men gender. :Angel: Some times I am the only back up singer, but I don't mind; I like it. Some times other women's voices get me off key, majority of them sing good too.

So tell your friend to "KICK IT UP A FEW NOTCHES" and make them songs even prettier with a tune of a woman.
            Then sneak away so them men will be; "WOW who was that beautiful back up singer" aye. :Chatter :Chatter
            Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

• UrbanNdn79
              Tiny Tot Dancer
              • Aug 2002

I enjoys the women singing!!! Just as long as they know the song and can jam! Especially the beautiful ones!!!;) Aye!!!
              $outhern $tyle

Comment

• Red Blanket
                Junior Dancer
                • Jan 2002

it is a GOOD feeling when i hear women come & sing behind us. :Chatter
                Will
                (Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.