X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powwowjudge
    replied
    southern druming

There is no drum war. This is the way each one of you should have spoken before. You just finally did it.

Leave a comment:

• singingboy
    replied
    I think that if a song like this was written in the old days, and if it moved people-be it with english lyrics or not- then the old timers would have sung it. For the simple fact almost every one knows what it means and everyone that hears it knows what it pays tribute to, The proud Native people of this country. And the respect that it gives to the veterans who fought and gave their lives for our right to pow wow and teach our grandchildren what our grandparents have tought us. How to be proud native people.

Leave a comment:

• tradish 4 you
    replied
    first off not once did i ever say you all sucked and never would i either

as far as the drum war thing that powwow judge is atempting to do i am not gonna play into that either

questioning the way a person or group does something is a humbling experience and if you can take the questions without exploding you can become more respected

as far as me if something was posted about the drum i sing with on here good or bad i would not say anything either way. people have opinions and the right to say what they want thats what makes this country wonderful
    but anyways nope you guys don't suck at all i am a northern boy so thats what i know and thats the bases of how i ask my questions so if its excepted to sing a flag song with english words in it in the southern traditions cool more power to you.

its been said so many times before but think of it this way over 500 recognized tribes in this country and each and everyone of them vary in one way or another either slightly or complete opposites there are lord knows how many unrecognized tribes so basically no ones right however the human nature is to say i am right your wrong so the argueing will naturally continue

hey all enjoy the cold weather!:)
    try not to get sick
    and toksa ake
    dave

Leave a comment:

• Kiwehnzii
    replied
    No, I am not ashamed. I often question the people from Pennsylvania and Ohio on whether they are Indian or not. Most that I run into are not.

Leave a comment:

• Vision_Dreamer
    replied
    Dave...why don't you just tell us we suck....lol...jeese

Leave a comment:

• powwowjudge
    replied
    Singing boy you started out rocky, but came through with dignity for this Grandpa Sid and Veteran Curt. Kiwehnzii, you should be ashamed of yourself for questioning blood quatum--our medicine wheel has ALL colors on it. Tradish4you, I have heard and seen this Drum sing at many Eastern and southern powwows. When this song is sang the colorguard cries, and so do many other veterans. I haven't seen this from the drum you sing on yet.
    Maybe you will someday get warm and fuzzy.
    By the way if it is needed I will write my card number for you.

Leave a comment:

• tradish 4 you
    replied
    sorry just not buying it

Leave a comment:

• singingboy
    replied
    Well said vision dreamer,
    I sing with the red birds then I can and am close to all of them. I know the story behind that flag song and truly believe that it came thru to Grandpa Sid for a good reason from "THE GREAT MYSTERY". I also believe that as my head singer Curt, is a veteran, I think that he is the one who has the final say so in whether or not we should sing a veterans song with english lyrics. People that are or have been in the service fought for the right to let us sing the songs that we choose. And besides that there is a big difference in a 49 song and a flag song. They should not be put in the same boat. English or not both songs are sung with different intentions and feelings. There is no joking with a flag song or a veterans song and any singer should know that. They are very serious and a great honor for a drum to be picked to sing them. They should be sung seriously.
    Last edited by singingboy; 01-10-2004, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tradish 4 you
    replied
    that was interesting

well as far as i go myself i am not to warm and fuzzy about songs with english words in them at all even if it was just an intertribal

but as far as flag songs they deserve a lil better i think

anyhow there is a huge diffrence between flag songs and 49 songs so comparing the two is like water and oil

if your gonna joke around and be like i went to see my baby across the river and drowned(placed to an indian tune and beat) sure why not its fun and funny

perhaps likewise the same would be thought of as a flag song with english words?

just trying to help you see all sides

later

Leave a comment:

• Kiwehnzii
    replied
    Wow, VD!! You really told us. I'm speechless.

Leave a comment:

• Vision_Dreamer
    replied
    Ok...i read through this and tell you what i am really pissed. I am a Red Bird Singer. I sing this song. What right do you all have telling us how to sing our own song. who cares if we have engilish so do 49 songs and god knows we all sing them there. you guys insulting the flag song is slapping all the poeple that died or lost someone on 9/11 in the face and slapping the man who made it ( which happens to be highly respected in Ohio and Florida). I say shame on you all...lol and i know that sounds "corny and Cheesy" but it is true. by the way singerdad or whatever what lango's do you speak cause i am curous. Really i don't understand you people, right now i am ashamed to be an indian. If you heard this song, you would not be saying these things. this song is sang from our hearts and is almost and honoring song for those poeple who did pass on, on that tradic day. that's all i have to say right now...by the way my girlfriend(shookshookin) is not retarted and she sings with us. Thank you!!!!
    Last edited by Vision_Dreamer; 01-09-2004, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FAT AL
    replied
    ShookShookin918, where is the tribe "Southern Drum" from?

Leave a comment:

• singingboy
    replied
    Yep, ShookShooken is correct. GrandPa Sid sings in the south and Curt Rocks in the north. The Red Birds sure have some cookin songs,most fo them are pretty old. Seeing as how I sing with them. I been workin alot latley but hope to rock with them again soon. Curt sing some good songs.

Leave a comment:

• Fancy Maiden
    replied
    The Redbird Singers sing it and have been for a couple of years. The song says ''Oh the stars and stripes are waving over usa, Old glory flys today.''(but thats only part of the song) Yeah and Jingling is right, the song was wrote by Sid Dingman the former head singer of the Redbird Drum of Ohio. My dad (Curt Baltzer)is now the head singer, and Sid is the head singer for the Redbird Sr. in Florida.

and yes we were asked to come and sing again so if youre goin see you may.

Lindsay
    Last edited by Fancy Maiden; 01-08-2004, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hoopster girl
    replied
    I've been going there for I guess 6 years now with the exclusion of 1 year. ..

Hoopster

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X