Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for drumsticks

Hello,
    I am currently working on a new set of drumsticks. Could anybody recommend a fabric/materialfor the inner wrapping?
    Thanks

I use a piece of sheep skin with the fur on it! wrap with the fur inside!
    I also add a few meds inside to enhance the spirit of the stick.
    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
    Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Mannnn.......

I thought this thread was going to be about KFC vs Churches drumsticks.

Comment

An eastern woodland man told me once that wood that has come off a tree due to being struck by lightening is good to use for drumsticks. But others disagree

*shrugs* just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by dancefl View Post
          Hello,
          I am currently working on a new set of drumsticks. Could anybody recommend a fabric/materialfor the inner wrapping?
          Thanks
          dance,

Cut a towel into 2 inch strips. Tape the end to the stick and wrap to desired thickness and weight. The spines on the terry cloth will keep it tight and secure. Tape the end and sew on buckskin or leather.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Strips of demin from old jeans works too.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

good ideas!

Dang I like the terry towel idea! I always use yarn for the head and NDN Crome for the padding on the hand grip. Gotta try that on my next one. Does anyone like the fiberglass rods they sell as blanks? I've tried them but I don't like them. Too stiff. I use the fiberglass bike flags you get at Wally's. My Unc uses fiberglass reflectors

Comment

cotton twine

Comment

panty hose works well for softness, find in the sock area in womens in wally world

Comment

Originally posted by cconn9c View Post
                    panty hose works well for

cconn,

Which works better, fishnet or ultra sheer pantyhose?
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                      cconn,

Which works better, fishnet or ultra sheer pantyhose?

panty hose, never tried fishnet tho

Comment

cconn9c do you wear them first to break them in? LOL Never thought that that was a traditional material!!!
                        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                          dance,

Cut a towel into 2 inch strips. Tape the end to the stick and wrap to desired thickness and weight. The spines on the terry cloth will keep it tight and secure. Tape the end and sew on buckskin or leather.
                          Yes...I've done this as well as used felt. Typically before I apply the felt, I'll apply masking tape buttons to the end of the rod. The first button is about the size of a nickel (or slightly bigger) and the next 3-4 are smaller. Each button should be tightly wrapped (with little to no excess on the sides) and snug beside the next. This will give a little extra weight to the head and a solid core for a good sound upon the drum. I'll then do the same thing for the handle with applying buttons of tape...but I use duck tape instead and each button is the exact same size. Here, I'll use 3 buttons...enough buttons that are longer than the side of my hand to my thumb tip.
                          To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Oh another thing that I love as a drum stick is a great big moose rib, yep a rib! First the angle is great for where it joins at the spine. I round off the bone a bit and then do the padding and then the wrapping. Half way down the rib I add a leather wrapped handle and the lower part I give a feather shape with a heavy duty belt grinder. Once I have the shape I want I burn the tip end of the bone to get several shades of brown. Then the final touch, I engrave the rest of the feather on it and that makes a well balance drum stick. I love the fact that I can toggle the drumstick in a good balance and do double beats!

Comment

Originally posted by LSS View Post
                              Yes...I've done this as well as used felt. Typically before I apply the felt, I'll apply masking tape buttons to the end of the rod. The first button is about the size of a nickel (or slightly bigger) and the next 3-4 are smaller. Each button should be tightly wrapped (with little to no excess on the sides) and snug beside the next. This will give a little extra weight to the head and a solid core for a good sound upon the drum. I'll then do the same thing for the handle with applying buttons of tape...but I use duck tape instead and each button is the exact same size. Here, I'll use 3 buttons...enough buttons that are longer than the side of my hand to my thumb tip.

Can you explain what you mean by buttons? Like a thick ring around to fit around the stick? Or just round pieces? I'm trying to picture it.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.