Center Drum v.s. Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Drum v.s. Group

I, and many of you, have sang for years around the drum. What are some of the benefits to singing at the Center Drum? What are some of the benefits of singing with your group?
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

the center drum, the singers have to know the song, fomr whom ever starts it.
    and the groups, they have time to practice the they want to sing right before its their turn to sing.

Comment

At the center drum, often times you end up singing with guys from lots of other drum groups combined. Not to mentioned the hundred's of years of experience and knowledge from those old guys sitting out there.
      ***Edited for explicit content***

Comment

Originally posted by cconn9c View Post
        the center drum, the singers have to know the song, fomr whom ever starts it.
        and the groups, they have time to practice the they want to sing right before its their turn to sing.
        Originally posted by SmokeEater View Post
        At the center drum, often times you end up singing with guys from lots of other drum groups combined. Not to mentioned the hundred's of years of experience and knowledge from those old guys sitting out there.
        Both of you have offered good points. They are valid <not that you need me to validate them for you> and things A LOT of young singers should read/hear.

What are some other thoughts out there?
        To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Comment

I would say both have it benefits, for people who drum at a powwow and set up alone or a couple of singers (center drum) you get help from surrounding drummers that want to sit down and help you out with the singing, group is more of a set plan on songs and decision making for them ie knowing songs, making songs, leads.....etc
          Minimum

Comment

At the center drum, you have to be ready to sing anything.

At the group drum you have to be ready to sing songs the group normally sings. Lot's of well known contest drums sing mostly their own compositions.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

well i guess i donot know much

so center drum is host drum? or just a drum in the center lol
              Minimum

Comment

Originally posted by 103 View Post
                well i guess i donot know much

so center drum is host drum? or just a drum in the center lol

Oklahoma is the mecca of southern singing.

In Oklahoma, the majority of powwows have a head singer. This head singer presides over the center drum. In a way this is comporable to a host southern drum.

The center drum in this context handles most of the specialty songs and intertribal songs of most Oklahoma powwows.

Most center drums are open to all singers. However, a head singer on ocassion, closes the center drum to only singers that he has invited or allows to sit in.

Also with southern protocol. the head singer points to the drums that he wants to sing any additional songs.

Comment

Singing with a group you may get to sing a couple dozen songs in a day,depending on other drums present, rotation, etc. Center drum you may sing a hundred songs or more in a single day, between gourd and war dance, sometimes not repeating a song. Maybe more if you sing at the 9.
                  ***Edited for explicit content***

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeEater View Post
                    Singing with a group you may get to sing a couple dozen songs in a day,depending on other drums present, rotation, etc. Center drum you may sing a hundred songs or more in a single day, between gourd and war dance, sometimes not repeating a song. Maybe more if you sing at the 9.
                    Leave it to Smoke to talk up da '9!

Comment

It depends on where you are at. At a lot of pow-wows center drum is The only drum.....
                      Other places you may have center drum with a few groups around the outside.

If you get up north, or in the midrange of the world where they try and appease both Southern and Northern Folks they will have either a host drum (that is either northern or southern) or they may have a host northern and host southern.
                      I have seen drum groups combine for a weekend to just have the one Drum, makes it easier, and the finances are a little more reliable then.

One thing I will say about groups vs. the center is that when you have groups the singers can get a little bit of a break and the powwow can just keep going on. Sometimes with center drum (if your pipes arent in good shape) you have to get the emcee to give ya a break.

Comment

For someone who has never experienced life at the Center Drum ...how do you convince them that is where they need to be?

hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by LSS View Post
                          For someone who has never experienced life at the Center Drum ...how do you convince them that is where they need to be?

hmmmmmm

L,

A lot of it is networking. At powwows, I have often been approached by singers who say, "If you aren't doing anything - on a certain date, I am head singer at - certain powwow. Come help me if you can." Depending on who makes the request, I will specifially go to that powwow to help the head singer at the center drum.

Lately, I have been asked to come to certain powwows to sit in with a drum group to compete in the drum contest.

I know before going that the focus is different than sitting at the center drum. The center drum is more relaxed and you wait your turn to start songs. You are also able to pace yourself to last a full 3 days.

In competition, precision is the name of the game. Your beat has to be exact as well as your seconds. You give each song everything you've got as in most cases you are being judged for each song you sing.
                          Last edited by WhoMe; 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

WhoMe,

What you say above here is dead on. One of my buddies went to sit in at the Center Drum for the first time back in January with me (I was not the Head Singer)...now he looks forward to each opportunity he can get. Aside from his kids stretchin' his nerves thin, he really enjoys it now despite being all worked up by not knowing the songs. He's picking them up though.

The thing I wanna add along with what you mentioned...b/c everything is about the "contest", you never get a chance to learn anything much. I'd say the last time sat down out there, I probably picked up a good 5-6 songs...and thats not including getting translations/stories to other songs I had learned years ago.

I love my drum group, but sometimes I like to learn too... for the Center Drum!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.