Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NON nDn Head Singers

______

I have read on the posts who most people think are superior singers. They are all good choices.

What about non nDn's who sing southern style?

I personally think there are some good singers who AREN'T nDn. My traditional uncles disagree with me and will not allow them at their drums.

What do you think?

Would you support a non nDn head singer at an "nDn" powwow?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

How about if no one else will do it? What do they say about that?
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

_____

Billy:

I can't speak for them. I just listen.

Back at cha' . . . "Can it really be called Indian singing if none of the singers are Indian?"

Comment

fergitaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Indian singing / Singing indian
          There are 2 types of people in the world...
          Really stupid people who think they are smart
          and
          Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

________

Billy:

Like I said before. I like to sing with and enjoy the fellowship with singers who aren't Indian. I also appreciate their honesty in not claiming to be if they aren't.

Some non-Indian southern singers who can hold their own and even "carry" a powwow are: Larry Kincer, Bo Limbaugh, Darsh DeSilva, Mel Hofling (sp?), Clyde Ellis, Drew Armstrong and Alan Jarvis.

If these guys ever got together, they could make some powerful music.

However . . .

I don't think Indian music can be called Indian if there are no Indians singing it.

For instance I have heard kindergardeners sing so called Indian songs. This is not Indian Music.

I have heard a group of Polish Singers in Poland sing a so called "Comanche Song." This was not Indian Music.

I have also seen the Koshare Singers in Colorado sing. This is not Indian Music.

They are all "imitating" sounds.

Call it reinactment.

It is not Indian Music if an Indian is not participating in the singing.
            It is just as if a non Indian created indian styled jewelry. It could not be called Indian unless it was made by an Indian.
            Last edited by WhoMe; 09-26-2003, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Non ndns don't have any business heading up a drum, being the lead singer. That's just not right.

Comment

First let me say I have set down to sing with Larry kincer, Mel Hoefling a couple of times, and Alan Jarvis once. These guys are very knowledgeable of the songs. They know what songs are appropriate for each occasion. They know history, language, and culture. More so than some Natives. I know Mel was taken in by a family out Oklahoma way, I think Larry was also. I know that they have gone to drums and talked to them about singing certain songs berfore doinhg it. I know Larry has gotten a lot of help from Zotigh singers, and occasionally travels,and sings with Zotighs. They do things the right way. That being said, they are not claiming to be anything they are not, so I don't see anything wrong with them singing or being head singers. I myself am more white than anything else, but was always told and taught that what is not in the blood, runs through the heart. Just my 2.

Comment

??

What do you call it when Indians sing rock or jazz music? Is that called Indian music or jazz music / rock music by Indian musicians. You need to seperate the genre of music from the muscian or preformer.
                  If a white guys sings rock songs it's rock music but if he sings Indian songs then it's not Indian music?
                  What do you call it when a Kiowa sings an Ponca song. Is he a Kiowa singer or a Ponca singer?? Is that Kiowa music or Ponca music???
                  One thing at a time...

Comment

_____

If an Indian gives someone something - is he or she an "Indian Giver?"

> I see where you are going with this.

You are entitled to call it what you want. But it may be incorrect.

Music and other aesthetic practices broken up by genre are not the same as cultural ownership.

For instance . . .

the genres of rock vs. jazz music are not the same as Kiowa vs. Ponca songs because of tribal ownership.

If an Indian sings a blues song it can be marketed as a blues song.

However . . .

If a white guy makes a CD of round dance songs they CAN be marketed as "round dance songs" but NOT "Authentic Indian Songs."

Now . . .

What do you call a Kiowa who goes to White Eagle and sings a Ponca song?

Answer: Crazy ;)
                    Last edited by WhoMe; 10-03-2003, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                      _____

What do you call a Kiowa who goes to White Eagle and sings a Ponca s

Mahn sape

Comment

Mahn-sape!

Now that was funny!!:clapping:

Comment

I like what 49 Singer said....

I agree....
                          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

If the "non" Indian knows his songs, and can jam, I give all power to em. There is a difference between a hobbiest singer and a powwow singer. Not all powwow singers are native. New times, people have to be more open minded.
                            :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

I think there are many good singers out there. THe only ones I really know are in OK. Here are my pics.

Jimmy Kemble
                              Johnny Kemble
                              Joe Fish
                              Thuke Koomsa
                              Iron Toppah
                              Cheevers Toppah
                              Arlen Goodfox
                              Drew Armstrong
                              Marty Thurman
                              Herb Adson
                              Frank Adson
                              Jason Lightfoot
                              Jimmy Star
                              Eli Warrior
                              Steven Littlecook
                              Anthony Monoessey
                              Kelly Cable
                              etc. etc.

There are too many to mention

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X