Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

I have question on getting a drum started singing Gourd Dance...

I am by no means a member of a Gourd Dance Society or am I from Oklahoma. However, I have been introduced to the Gourd Dance Ceremony and have sang during a Gourd Dance Ceremony on several occassions.

It has come to me that several young men are interested in singing and while they have an interest in singing southern (and the fact that southern is the only thing I do now) I felt like it was appropriate for them to learn about the Gourd Dance Ceremony as well. I mean, I feel like if anyone is gonna sing Southern they need to learn about the history, origin and all the things that go along with they Oklahoma Native style of singing.

So, I guess my question is this....

Do a Lead (Head) Singer/Group have to have permission from a Gourd Dance Society in order to learn/sing Gourd Dance?

Also, what are some other thoughts on getting a young drum group started with singing? I have posted the same in the Gourd Dance section.

LSS
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

yes

yes it is to a point gourd dance singing is fine without knowing the meaning behind it. but i give you respect beacause not to many men like yourself try to help others on where things come from maybe it's not you place you should take the to a southern elder to teach them that's the way they learned so about the starting a drum group i need to speak to u in pritive so email me at [email protected]

Comment

Drum groups....hmm...Whatever happened to the center drum and one head singer? Sometimes the best way and the only way I know is to learn these songs from the center drum, sure you can learn from tapes with gourd dance songs, BUT they dont tell you things you need to know. Gourd dance singing isnt just singing any gourd dance song that comes to your mind, There are certain songs that are sung at certain times of the gourd dance. of course slow songs at first and then as you go along, faster songs. Plus, you need to know familiy songs, some families dont want their song sung unless asked for. And the meaning of certain songs. And dont be one of those guys that sings the supper song any ol time.........Ima stop there....

ps,,,about the young drum group gettin started...start at the center drum, then move on out, not everyone has to have/be in a drum group.
      :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Re: Getting Started

Originally posted by LSS
        I have question on getting a drum started singing Gourd Dance...

I have been introduced to the Gourd Dance Ceremony and have sang during a Gourd Dance Ceremony on several occassions.
        LSS
        LSS:

Have you been to Oklahoma?

Where you're at, the gourd dance is probably just a gourd dance . . . minus the ceremony. These are two separate things.

Go down to Oklahoma and attend the Kiowa Gourd Clan Ceremony on the Fourth of July. I think you witnessing this first hand, will answer all of your questions. They take thing pretty seriously down there . . .
        Last edited by WhoMe; 11-07-2003, 04:38 PM.
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by SBZ4life
          dont be one of those guys that sings the supper song any ol time.
          I didn't know there was a "Supper Song". Is it that a song from Winnie the Pooh :

"Yummy Yummy Yummy
          Theres a Rumble in my Tummy"

That's like saying "Charlie Brown" is the quitting song.
          If life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life; let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X