Southern Pow Wows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Pow Wows

Can someone tell me where there are some good southern pow wows in Oklahoma. I don't live there but I would like to stop in for a fiew. Also, what are the drum names that might be singing there. My uncle goes to gourd dances in Oklahoma, but I would like to pow wow there.

Hmmm, check em all out, Red Earth, Pawnee Powwows, Ponca Powwows, Kiowa powwows, Comanche Homecoming....and I wouldnt say there are groups at the powwow...its called a head singer.
    :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Don't forget Sac-n-fox and IICOT
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

powwows

there is a good powwow at barefoot park but i would say walters is the best cuz u can 49 in the arena

Comment

singingboy

Every powwow in OK is a 'southern' powwow and all those mentioned are excellent dances, but shoot you can go out there any time and hit as many dances as you can drive to. There are benefit dances and school dances and powwow club dances all year long, not just the big summer dances.
          PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Damn I love being an Okie....can you say damn on this thing?

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Originally posted by SBZ4life
              Damn I love being an Okie....can you say damn on this thing?
              why dontcha say it one more time just to test it. ;)

and bein an Okie is grrrrrrreeeeaaaaaattttttt...

Comment

Are they gonna start taking points away from me if I keep saying Damn? hope they dont tell my grandma, I'll really be in trouble...

Comment

them dances at Norman are ok...LOL....Good Medicine puts on a good new years dance...but like SBZ says.....any dance in Okie Land is purty good alright....LOL
                  sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

and DONT GO TO TEXAS POWWOWS!!!

Comment

what's wrong with Texas, is it tooooooo hot? :Tongue i thought that okies were dirty white ppl, i know okie=person from oklahoma, but ppl from texas and cali always refer to dirty white ppl as okies, and i came up here where a few number of ppl from tx. and cali live. so when some guy mentioned okie, and i asked him what that was and he told me "dirty white ppl", i knew he was either form cali or texas, and it just so happened he was from cali. hehe well, i just thought, correct me if i'm wrong. maybe i am. well, i have plenty of ppl who r with me :p i didn't mean to disrespect anyone, it's just i guess each state has their own slang, and words for different things.
                      If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

Comment

Originally posted by chirapachegurl
                        what's wrong with Texas, is it tooooooo hot? :Tongue i thought that okies were dirty white ppl, i know okie=person from oklahoma, but ppl from texas and cali always refer to dirty white ppl as okies, and i came up here where a few number of ppl from tx. and cali live. so when some guy mentioned okie, and i asked him what that was and he told me "dirty white ppl", i knew he was either form cali or texas, and it just so happened he was from cali. hehe well, i just thought, correct me if i'm wrong. maybe i am. well, i have plenty of ppl who r with me :p i didn't mean to disrespect anyone, it's just i guess each state has their own slang, and words for different things.
                        Maybe because back in the day, during the Dust Bowl or whatever, dirty Okies were going out to Cali... and Texans just hate us Oklahomans anyway?

I don't know. I'm with SBZ, I like being from OK too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Kiowa
                          Maybe because back in the day, during the Dust Bowl or whatever, dirty Okies were going out to Cali... and Texans just hate us Oklahomans anyway?

I don't know. I'm with SBZ, I like being from OK too. ;)
                          yea white people always have different meanings for everything.

i think Black Hawk, Sauk said it best when he said:

"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right. - Black Hawk, Sauk"

;)

I'm a proud OKie too even tho i live in TX...

Comment

sheeeeeeesh.......all okie meant here was short for Oklahoma.......kinda like my friends up in Ok...call it Tex_ss...don't mean anything..just goodnatured teasin........
                            sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

well i don't have a prob w/ ppl who are from OK, a state is just a name given to a part of mother earth by white ppl, so it doesn't really matter to me. we are all from the same place, i was just commenting that some ppl label dirty white ppl as okies, and i don't believe that ne of us are dirty white ppl. :NoNo so my question was what is wrong with powwow's in texas?
                              If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X