Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contest powwow dance styles - your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest powwow dance styles - your thoughts?

'Siyo
    I'm working on this presentation for a graduate school seminar, and my paper is about contest powwow dancing styles.
    Do any of you have any thoughts about which - besides the main categories - should be included?

Also, what about the idea that powwows have kind of gotten away from the more spiritual side of things, toward being focused on the prize money?

A side benefit of giving this paper is that I get to remind my professors that there are indians who go to grad school who *can* and *do* keep their traditions. :P
    wado for any ideas.
    ~Sky

Originally posted by skylark
    'Siyo
    I'm working on this presentation for a graduate school seminar, and my paper is about contest powwow dancing styles.
    Do any of you have any thoughts about which - besides the main categories - should be included?

Also, what about the idea that powwows have kind of gotten away from the more spiritual side of things, toward being focused on the prize money?

A side benefit of giving this paper is that I get to remind my professors that there are indians who go to grad school who *can* and *do* keep their traditions. :P
    wado for any ideas.
    ~Sky
    Are you from the Pharcyde?
    Last edited by quicksilverwade; 11-24-2004, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skylark
      'Siyo

wado for any ideas.
      ~Sky
      __

Osiyo/Shiyo Sky,

Dance competition is divided according to: dance style, gender and age.

The most common dance categories for men are: Fancy, Traditional, Grass and Straight (sometimes they are designated as northern or southern).

For women there is: Fancy Shawl, Jingle, Traditional Northern and Southern, OR Buckskin and Cloth (combined). Of course this is not set in stone as there are regional variations.

Some powwow committees have added contemporary competition to some of these categories.

Other powwows incorporate "special memorial and honor contests" to their contest roster as a way of providing extra incentive to attend their powwows. Sometimes this is in the form of winner take all or "Calcutta."

___

Regional dance categories for the men are:

Chicken Dance, Round Bustle, Eastern War Dance, Buckskin, Smoke Dance, Calumet, Crow Style and Stomp dance caller.

Regional dance categories for women are:

Eastern Blanket, Crow Style, Smoke Dance, Shell shakers (stomp dance).

Sometimes there are specialty dance contests such as:

Switch dancing, two-step, owl dance, hoop dance, trick dance, iron men/women, feather pickup and all around.

__

Powwows are normally more social than spiritual. Spirituality normally occurs in ceremony and is NOT meant for the general public.

However, in some dance circles, there are elements of spirituality that are observed.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your research.
      Last edited by WhoMe; 11-24-2004, 05:35 PM.
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
        __

Osiyo/Shiyo Sky,

Dance competition is divided according to: dance style, gender and age.

The most common dance categories for men are: Fancy, Traditional, Grass and Straight (sometimes they are designated as northern or southern).

For women there is: Fancy Shawl, Jingle, traditional northern and southern, OR Buckskin and Cloth (nothern and southern combined). Of course this changes according to region.

Some powwow committees have added contemporary competion to some of these categories.

___

Regional dance categories for the men are:

Chicken Dance, Round Bustle, Eastern War Dance, Buckskin, Smoke Dance, Crow Style and Stomp dance caller.

Regional dance categories for women are:

Eastern Blanket, Crow Style, Smoke Dance, Shell shakers (stomp dance).

Sometimes there are specialty dance contests such as:

Switch dancing, two-step, owl dance, hoop dance, iron men/women, feather pickup and all around.

__

Powwows are normally more social than spiritual. Spirituality normally occurs in ceremony.

However, in some dance circles, there are elements of spirituality that are observed.

I hope this helps.
        I agree with Whome but soon expect to see Head Northern Audio Technician and Head Southern Audio Technician.

Comment

Originally posted by quicksilverwade
          I agree with Whome but soon expect to see Head Northern Audio Technician and Head Southern Audio Technician.
          Why not have Head Northern Mic Runner and Head Southern Mic Runner as well? :39:

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno
            Why not have Head Northern Mic Runner and Head Southern Mic Runner as well? :39:
            Perfect and don't forget the Spoonkeeper. I don't know if the Southern have Spoonkeepers so until we hear from a Southern spokesperson. Why not have a Head Southern Spoonkeeper and a Head Northern Spoonkeeper?

Comment

Originally posted by quicksilverwade
              Perfect and don't forget the Spoonkeeper. I don't know if the Southern have Spoonkeepers so until we hear from a Southern spokesperson. Why not have a Head Southern Spoonkeeper and a Head Northern Spoonkeeper?
              __

qsw:

Nope they don't nor do they eat dog (puppy). They used to at one time.
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                __

qsw:

Nope they don't nor do they eat dog (puppy). They used to at one time.
                I hope I don't offend anybody by disclosing that it must be the favorite puppy of the litter before it can be prepared into a scrumptuous soup. I'd have my Tapatio hot sauce and fry bread ready to fill my stomach, lol.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X