NMAI Grand Opening. Who's going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMAI Grand Opening. Who's going?

The Grand Opening of the National Museum of the American Indian is taking place on September 22, 2004. Confirmation of almost 13,000 Natives from the Western Hemisphere (from the North to South Pole) will be participating in the Native Processional. Demonstrations, concerts, receptions, performances, the inaugural tour of the NMAI and other events related to the Grand opening will be taking place from September 12 to September 25, 2004.

Other National Indian Organizations (National Congress of the American Indian, Indian Health Service and NAGPRA) will also be having National Conventions and Meetings around the same time.

There are going to be mega Natives there!

Whos Going?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

the grand opening and procession is on the 21st not the 22nd of September and I'm going. I registered 4 months ago to be in the procession and am looking forward to it and also the social dance afterward.

Comment

I'm going and I'm staying for the IHS health summit...

Gonna be some nice eye candy there :D
      He's the type of rez I like
      ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

I'm going! I wasn't really planning on going then things fell into place so Yeah I'm going! It'll be nice to go back and see my friends and former colleagues at NMAI and the new building.

Comment

I just heard from one of my friends that was instrumental in organizing the NMAI powwow on the Mall in 2002, that NMAI will have another powwow in 2005!!!! YAYYYY
          He said sometime in August or Sept. That will be cool and I'm sure more info will be posted, this is just some inside news, lol..

Comment

Originally posted by nativedancer5
            the grand opening and procession is on the 21st not the 22nd of September and I'm going. I registered 4 months ago to be in the procession and am looking forward to it and also the social dance afterward.
            ___

nativeD5:

You're right. The procession IS on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. What tribe are you going to be parading with? I understand the procession will start as one group east of the Washington Monument. Then they will split off with one line following Sen. Ben Night Horse Campbell and the other line following NMAI Director Richard West. Then the two lines will meet up at the Capitol. After the procession the "social" will take place. This is an ambiguous term (social) because the Native dancing and music demonstrations do not fall under the term powwow, particularly from the tribes of the Arctic, Central and South America. So they are calling it a "Social."

Kaykeeya:

Again I think we know people incommon. My sources in D.C. tell me that the powwow next year is tentatively scheduled for the MCI Center and that they will be having an NMAI powwow for at least the next 4 years!
            Last edited by WhoMe; 08-30-2004, 06:03 PM.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              Kaykeeya:

Again I think we know people incommon. My sources in D.C. tell me that the powwow next year is tentatively scheduled for the MCI Center and that they will be having an NMAI powwow for at least the next 4 years!
              Yep that's what I heard, must be the same goofy guy telling us all the same thing. Lol just kidding, he's my real good friend, like a brother to me.
              Indian world is a small world isn't it? :Chatter

Comment

I'll be there the wknd b4. wish I could stay to check it out though
                Mens inhumanity to each other is surpassed ONLY by what women do to each other.
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                Quote: "I blame it on my youngnessness..." BTH
                DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME

Comment

I will be attending, marching with the Harvard Univ. Native American Program. And of course, as always repping my tribe. There will be a grand total of 2 Delawares marching in our group so we will be the majority tribe represented! lol

Comment

I wanna go soooo bad! My participant guide came in the mail today but starting at a new school, I just can't take that time off. Y'all enjoy yourself for me! Shoot, any Chikashas going? If so, represent!
                    Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Hey I Think I Will Be Going Representin Wit My Skool Thas If I Wana Go I Duno Yet Wsup What Singers Are Going?? Any Dancers????

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.