Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singers and the non natives that dance to them....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singers and the non natives that dance to them....

So how do you all feel about native drum groups supporting non-native powwows????
    How do you as a singer feel about supporting non-native pow wows???? Is it right? Is it a slap in the face to real natives?
    If the drum groups wouldn't support these dances, wouldn't these hobbyists have to give up their "sport"? Or is it just another way to practice or do you feel it is a good thing???

What do you all think? Should our native singers be singing for non-native dancers???? :dontknow:

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Entirely up to the singer.

Some do it for the money, some do it so they can sing.

I have been involved with 3 different non-NDN drums that sang at native powwows.

In the Northeast there are many small legit (and also many ill-legit) tribes that cant afford the big NDN drums. There are only a few small drums in the area willing to sing for little or no money. NDN and NON-NDN.

I have been to powwows where the only drum was non-NDN because the NDN drum didnt show.

You have to take what you can get.
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

No way should they sing for the white groups. It just shows support for them and give validity to their efforts. What they going to do, go sing for them then complain about them stealing their ways? Bunch of crap.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

Drum Contest v. Drum Split
        by Guest
        What does everyone prefer? Drum contests or a drum split where all drums who show up and sing the weekend get an equal split? I like the split because everyone who sings gets something and that is the way it should be in my opinion. Just curious as to what everyone thinks.
        04-24-2001, 03:23 PM
      • WhoMe
        Old vs New
        by WhoMe
        It seems a lot has changed in southern powwow circles.

There was a time when only older singers (over 40) dominated drum circles.

Today this is just the opposite.

I was just asked yesterday if younger southern singers still pay their way to the drum or have...
        05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
      • pow-wow-wooer
        1 singer took first, 1 dancer took first. who's got more cash?
        by pow-wow-wooer
        Hey,

This thread is directed to all people on pow-wow committees around the great lakes, and to anyone who is interested as well. How come next to nobody reconizes singing around here as being 2 different styles? Contemp and straight. And for those who run the contests or those who...
        12-19-2001, 03:36 PM
      • billyjoejimbob
        Pickup Drums / powwow admission
        by billyjoejimbob
        Ok I know this is messed up subject by I am looking for some opinions from "REAL POWWOW PEOPLE"

A small group who runs 2 traditional powwows per year is having a little problem. They usually have a host and an invited drum but usually a pick up drum or two show up. As a drum...
        10-10-2005, 10:47 AM
      • off the top
        Just wondering about eastern powwows?
        by off the top
        I noticed that there are alot of powwows on the eastern seaboard from Florida up to Maine. I was just wondering if there is a need for these powwow committees to expand their knowledge of drum groups who are willing to travel and attend their powwows. Its just that I've noticed alot of the same drums...
        03-16-2001, 02:53 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X