Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schemitzun 2005

Any suggestions for Schemitzun 2005?

Like if you were this magical, er, uh genie and lived in a regalia suitcase and could fold your arms, snap your head and make it happen what would it be?

Mine would be to feed the singers and dancers

Washrooms at the 49, ah!

dance prize money would be!

1st: $2500
    2nd: $2000
    3rd: $1700
    4th: $1400
    5ht: $1100
    6th: $900
    7th: $600
    and three consulations
    of $500
    this would be for the following categories
    golden age: 50+
    sr.adults: 36-49
    jr. adults: 18-35

>have a fixed powwow rate at hotels
    >have meal tickets for dancers
    >have a food tent for the drums and head staff
    >have reliable tabulators
    >have the top 10 dancers on sunday

this is just a few of my suggestions i think would help this powwow attract more participants in both the dancing and singing.
    -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Comment

Schemitzun

Smoke_Dancer_20 my friend....that's basically how much it used to be back in the good ole day! The food was awesome they had a top ten on sunday, you could park closer to the powwow and there were more port-o-potties. They also had all ten dancers in the spot-lite...that was really cool! Remember when they had those camera's there all the time and made Schemitzun videos?? That was cool eh!! OH YEAH!! And they also had that airconditioned tent for elders outside the big tent!
      Last edited by Samatha; 09-03-2004, 12:47 AM.
      For every no good woman there is a no good man...be careful

Comment

Sam...Yeah, that sounds about right!

One more tidbit, being able to walk over to the rodeo free of charge.

Have the powwow more focused on their visitors coming to their community, other than their own tribal members who are hosting the event.

Let's keep dreaming...and hopefully not get dawged for stating what we wish for! *L*

Comment

.......and!

......oh yeah and get a few big industiral fans to get some kind of air flow through there. Cause i don't think just opening the side walls of the tent were enough.........oh yeah during supper break. i think it would be a really good idea if they would SHOWCASE different performances from various tribes throughout indian country. just so that you could sit there and eat your indian taco and watcha good show.

.................either or i'll still be there next year!.....lol
          -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Comment

same with me, and most other peeps too!

Going to akwesasne?

Comment

hit the nail on the head

Couldn't have been any better suggestions.... LOL Only don't forget the drums!! If they really want it to be the best pow wow then they'd take advice eh! LOL It's nice to change things up but heck they do it too much.

Comment

Good Ideas

I think the fans are a good idea and affordable. The Pequot Tribe certainly has enough money, they should just build their own event facility or at least lay down sod or plant real grass on the arena, that slough hay that dots the grounds sure stinks and is compounded even more by the heat, humidity and the enclosed tent.

Comment

Good Ideas

.....Juz wanted to put my two cents worth in here.....the pow-wow started to lose momentum when it moved from Septmeber to August (in my mind any way).....it was cooler in September and you could get better flight prices, the end of pow-wow season was not too far away then, now the season is still going and it seems to lose steam, ....... now there are too many cut backs all around to make it actractive....but hey there will always be peeps going to Schemitzun...........

Comment

My suggestion would be for the pow wow committee to use the same set up they had in 1993, the year they first really advertised their pow wow. They had a lot of dancers then because they had all the dance specials on Thursday with big prize money and a lot of places. Then for the rest of the pow wow, they had all the different age groups, ten places (3 were consolations) which were spotlighted, an awesome give away to the elders (thanks to Kathy Wahpepah's input). They would just need to include all the different dance categories, maybe add the Crow Style dances (men and women). Also, northern cloth and southern cloth as separate categories. All the pow wow participants were fed good meals. Move it back to September, its much cooler. Like it was said about this year's pow wow on the other thread, If you start out at the top, the only way to go is downhill. And yes, they do need a better dance facility.

Comment

And what was with the sorry website this year??
                      Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

Schemitzun 2005...

My 2 cents... No admission charge or at least for the federally recognized natives. I can see them charging the non natives. As much money their tribe has; why charge admission? *LOL* Just my 2 cents...

Comment

........also

just my 2 cent's again..........i think if they invited between 35-45 drums and guaranteed them a few hotel rooms and some $$$ .....but still have the drum contest!
                          -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Comment

........also

just my 2 cent's again..........i think if they invited between 35-45 drums and guaranteed them a few hotel rooms and some $$$ .....but still have the drum contest!
                            -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Comment

Thats 8 cents
                              Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X