Great Salt Water Powwow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Salt Water Powwow

Ok... the great big ol' Great Salt Water powwow is only 4 days away and I guess it's better for me to just post all this stuff here in one message rather than bumping up a bunch of old messages...

So... here goes:

1) PLEASE, PLEASE visit the website to learn how you can help with the food drive and/or the winter warmth drive for Pine Ridge. For info on the food drive, click here. For info on the winter warmth drive, click here.

2) If you need a hotel and can't find a room at the host hotels, there are some other area hotels listed on the website. Unfortunately, the rates are a good deal more expensive at the other places. The powwow rate at the host hotels is only $55.00/night plus tax.

3) WALL OF HONOR & GRATITUDE: If there is someone you'd like to pay tribute to at the powwow, please bring a framed photo of them... and include a bio if you wish... or if you'd just rather write something about them or have art you'd rather display to represent them, then that's fine. Either way, though, it will need to be in something that will a) keep it protected from fingerprints, etc., and b) something that can be hung on the wall versus taped. (It'll stay better that way.) All items displayed on the Wall of Honor will be returned at the end of the powwow... or whenever you go home, provided you include your identifying information on the back of whatever you bring.

4) In case you've STILL not heard of it, go to www.greatsaltwater.com to find out the details about this powwow.

5) If anyone wants any further information or has any questions about this powwow, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected] and I'll help answer your questions any way I can.
    Last edited by skaroreh; 11-02-2004, 12:40 AM.

Just Another Roadside Attraction.

ho hum.

Comment

News stories... corrections, links...

A story is running about this powwow in the News & Observer today. Here's the link:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1789782p-8083821c.html

For the most part, the story is right on target... other than a few misquotes. For one, the Navajo Codetalker we're honoring is named Walter Begay, not Begaye... and actually I think he's from NM, not AZ. Finally, he says Black Lodge is Grammy award winning. They might be, but last I heard they had been nominated, but not won a Grammy yet. It doesn't matter, though... we all love Black Lodge and are excited to see them here!

Here's another article from the Jacksonville Daily News that talks about John Crazy Bear (Oglala Lakota), our Arena Director-- who also happens to be a WWII & Korean War vet-- and a Purple Heart recipient.

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=26943&Section=News

The Jacksonville Daily News is, of course, based in Jacksonville- home of Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base-- the largest in the country. Camp Lejeune asked if they could assist with this powwow in any way back in the spring and we gladly accepted their role of support. They've really done a lot to help this first event come to pass. We are grateful for the Marine Corps enthusiastic involvement about celebrating Indian Heritage month AND Veterans Day.

Our head woman dancer is a GySgt stationed at Camp Lejeune. Her name is Loy Anquoe Apriesnig (Kiowa) and she's from Mountain View and Anadarko, Oklahoma. She is a beautiful person and a role model for the service she's given our country.
      Last edited by skaroreh; 11-02-2004, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Can't wait

So how many drum groups are coming?
        Stomp dancing all night long

Comment

Well... obviously the three host drums, Black Lodge, Cedartree & Eastern Bull. And then Red Stone from Ontario. Another drum group is coming from out west-- comprised of Dine', Cheyenne & Yakama (sp?) guys. I don't know their name, though, not off the top of my head. I've heard about 3, possibly 4 other drum groups from here in NC who want to come... but since I've not spoken with individuals from those drums myself, I won't confirm that they are coming for sure.

From what I'm hearing, though, I'm pretty sure we'll have at least 6 drums. :)
          Last edited by skaroreh; 11-02-2004, 12:10 PM.

Comment

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=22862

I notice that you haven't commented on this and see that you all are still planning on taking the $2,600 to send used clothes out there. Is there a reason why?
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Yes. Because the people we have coming in from Pine Ridge still say there's a need so we intend to do our best to meet it. Evidently, not everyone feels the same way about this situation. We'll send what we can out there. If some people want to make use of what's sent, then that's great. If people decide that they don't want any of it, then it's simple-- they don't have to take any of it.

Thank you for your concern.

There's still a possibility that the shipping will be donated, but until we have confirmation of that, it won't be posted on the website.

Comment

Did you ASK them if there is a need for $2,600 on the rez??? Did you ask about the heat situation???

Sure with so many needs being out there ......yeah... some do need coats. But like we said........... people need HEAT!! And if it is a matter of $2,600 being used for postage or going toward heat you tell me what would be the best decision. Doesn't make a hoot if the postage is donated or not...... but it does make a difference to people without heat.
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Mato Winyan... I understand what you're saying. Don't think that propane won't be purchased.
                  It will be... but I also have a strong feeling that we'll end up getting the shipping donated-- but as I said, I can't post that until it's written in stone, so-to-speak.

There are a few possibilities that we're looking in to, but if we end up having a truckload full of stuff to send out, and we have to foot the bill for the shipping (and it won't be postage... most likely it'll be a tractor trailer... although UPS is a possibility), then that's ok... because the value of the items on the truck will far surpass the amount of money being spent on shipping.

With the attitude of how much money it takes to get the items there versus what we're collecting... if you use that logic, then why not tell the USMC who sponsors Toys for Tots to not have people buy toys... just have them give money... because it's a lot cheaper to just give families money so they can go buy Christmas presents for their kids. Then you don't have to worry about the costs associated with distributing the toys, etc.

We all have our own ways of trying to help out. We might try new ideas year after year, but if we find that there are certain methods of helping that seem to really work well, then we'll stick with those methods.

I do appreciate where you're coming from on this, though. Please don't assume the worst about what we're doing. Please just let us help in our own way and in the way that's been helpful to the people we know. That's all I ask.
                  Last edited by skaroreh; 11-02-2004, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Seems kind of interesting to me that after we exchanged pm's that you come back here and answer like we never talked. You sure sounded different in the pm's too. Hmmm.... :Thinking

As for the asinine* analogy of the toys for tots... that is the sole purpose of that charity and their annual drive. And sure.... if you wanna go along with that scenario and if kids were freezing.........yeah....... I would want the people to donate money but not to buy toys but heat.

There is a need for charities to fill the vast expanse of needs of people. I have no problem with that. However, as I have stated... restated...... and now once again..... YOUR program/charity drive is called what??? Winter WARMTH Drive for Pine Ridge..... and I am telling you how you could best meet that need. And I'll be darned, you STILL are letting the main point go over your head. I am not concerned with you all paying postage or having it donated... that point is moot. I am however saying...... IF you would take THAT MONEY whether it is donated or not.. and buy fuel with the $2,600 dollars it would go much further than the coats and blankets. That is what I am saying.

How about you try this experiment.... You give up all your comforts that you are used to.... you get to have a coat.. a blanket... some can goods and let's see how long in the South Dakota winter you will last. I triple dog dare ya!!!!! :D

*1 : marked by inexcusable failure to exercise intelligence or sound judgment <an asinine excuse>
                    2 : of, relating to, or resembling an *** ;)

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you...

Mato,

I came and answered on here because not everyone who is reading this thread is benefit to the lengthy PMs we exchanged.

I don't know why you think I sound different in the two.

I still think the same way about the situtation. There will be propane bought... but we are still sticking with the way we have done the warmth drive before because the people we're coordinating with wants us to. This was all explained to you in the PMs.

There will be propane bought. I'll say it again... I said it in my earlier post.. THERE WILL BE PROPANE BOUGHT. I don't know why you assume that everything that was said was ignored by me and went right over my head when I clearly said that there will be propane bought.

But we're STILL doing the warmth drive as it's currently being described on our website. Why? Because there is a need for those items and we want to help meet that need.

Look... without getting dangerously off topic here... as you and many others on here know, I am a busy, busy mom of a toddler and a stepmom to a 7 year old. On top of this I am still working my regular job full time (web sites maintenance and management which I do from home) as well as working full time on organizing everything for this powwow and trying to get so many things lined up and ready for the educational fair. On top of all of this, I'm also taking on an extra level of training and work for my regular job because my dad has some health problems and might need me to step in and help do his job for a while, too (I work for him).

If my posts don't sound a certain way, it's because I've not gotten more than a handful of hours worth of slepe for the past three or four weeks so I guess its' starting to get to me and wear me out. My toddler couldn't care less that I went to bed at 3 or 3:30 or even 4am when he decides he wants to get up at 7. Some of you Powwows.com readers might operate just fine on 3 or 4 hours of sleep, but I can tell you, I don't. It really affects me when I don't get at least 5 or 6 hours of sleep for more than a week at a time.

In any case... in my PMs I went to great lengths to explain all the efforts we're going to here on our end as well as to let you know that your's and singerdad's ideas weren't benig ignored-- but that the organizers of the event jujst aren't going to swithch the way everything is being done mid stream right now-- for many reason.

I am too, too tired to take up a bunch of time on here even discussing this. I really think you're a little too quick to get mad with me about this and we're just t rying to do the best we can and I'm trying to do the best I can and if I don't answer things a certain way on here that you like or whatever, you are just going to come on here and rip me up anyway.

I told you the last thing I'm interested in is arguing with anyone, but you seem to want to argue with me anyway. I don't know why you still seem so hostile to me even though in the PMs you said you weren't. I told you I understand your passion and I told you there are other possibilities we are looking into with the propane thing, but apparently that isn't ok for you.

At this point, I just throw up my hands and say I'm just too tired and I'm not going to discuss this topic on here any further... not because it's not a valid topic, but because I don't feel like the way it's being approached on here is truly constructive or coming from a sense of patience or understanding of why we might be doing things the way we are.

You are entitled to feel the way you feel about this. If you're mad that we're doing the food drive and the winter warmth drive the way we are, then you don't have to come to support this powwow OR support either of those drives. You don't have to keep coming on here to try to find fault with me.

I thank you for your passion and concern, but at this point just I will have nothing more to say about this on this thread.

As I said, the last thing I'm interested in is arguing with other native people. Hostility and division never does any of us any good.

Many blessings to you.

Comment

The only reason why I posted again after the pm's is because you came in here and posted what you did. Far as I was concerned it was settled. You were doing what you were and pretended to understand where I was coming from. Now you come in here calling me hostile and acting like a sweet poor little victim. That's bogus.

Your the one that posted your little scenario like your trying to educate an idiot, then in your passive agressiveness you say to me.... "Hostility and division never does any of us any good." Insinuating that I'm being hostile and wanting to divide the native community. Honey, I'm not EVEN going to address that one. Told you before..... It's not a personal matter against you..... only an observation on my part. All there is to it. :Thumbs

One final thought........just because a person has a differing opinion and voices it does not mean there is a personal vandetta against you.

You said... "Many blessings to you." Well to that I just say. Live long and prosper.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                          Your the one that posted your little scenario like your trying to educate an idiot
                          Hey Mato, I've tried to explain this to the know-it-all.
                          ~KB~

Comment

Like I said

Just another roadside attraction . . . with a couple of real Indians thrown in to make it seem authentic.

Comment

Seems to me this thread got kinda "sidetracked". If you are so "concerned "over the efforts that another person makes ,no matter how big or small and should you not agree then may I suggest you get off your OONZE and do something yourself. Seems that no matter what an individual tries to do to offer some help there has to be the small minded few who need for some reason throw a wrench in the works. Matowinyan as in your post you said you tried to "TELL HER" maybe instead of telling , you should have tried "suggesting"
                              As for you NICK Hancock ...2 words.... SHUT UP
                              We know you don't dare show your face around any powwow in the Southeast for fear of having your BS thrown back in it, so who really gives a hot damn what you think about them.
                              To call your behavior "childish" would be an insult to children. For a man of your age to constanly carry on in such an IMATTURE manner is down right ridiculous.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.