Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princesses competing in dance contest, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princesses competing in dance contest, what do you think?

Ok, i have a question. Do you think that princesses should be able to compete in dance contests?

Some people have told me that if you are representing at that powwow then you should not compete...

Others said it would be ok only if you removed your crown and sash when entering the competition...

Then some say it is totally fine...

What do you think?

~Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

I think that its okay to compete if your a princess but I have always been told that if your a princess you should remove your crown and sash when competing!!
    ~*PowWows.com Princess 2006-2007*~

Comment

I agree; removing the sash and/or crown if they are to compete in a regular contest would be fair, they should never be discouraged from continuing to dance. As far as being required to dance as part of their pageant contest, I think that would be great, it would get rid of some of the riff-raff that suddenly become native, in order to enter these pageants, and win the prizes that other young ladies truely deserve.

Comment

i agree
        ~!jus move the sash
        ive seen lotz of princess enter contests n itz all good with everyone :)
        187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
        ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
        ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
        BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
        ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
        LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
        StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
        Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
        ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
        CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
        NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
        RIP lil brother

Comment

Originally posted by n8tivechick
          Ok, i have a question. Do you think that princesses should be able to compete in dance contests?

Some people have told me that if you are representing at that powwow then you should not compete...

~Kelli
          Hmmm...good question. Check with your tribe/organization that you are representing to make sure there aren't any stipulations on competing when you are representing them. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. I've seen countless title holders competing at their tribe's/organization's pow-wow.

Go out there and dance! :)
          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Well, In my opinion.... there shouldn't be any problem with you dancing at other powwow's competitions as long as you remove your crown, etc.

But competing in the powwow you're representing is a different story- This is Your powwow where you hold one of the most respected titles, the committee/princess organization gave YOU the crown to honor you at this one certain event. Your duty is to welcome others, represent this powwow with dignity and respect, and help the committe out by promoting the powwow everywhere you go. You'll have plenty of other chances to compete at other powwows, but the one you're representing should be more special than just another competition powwow. (give the visiting dancers a chance!) And with so much gossip and stipulation nowdays concerning powwow doings, you should ask the committee how they feel if you're still unsure.
            Two things a girl should always be: Classy & Fabulous

Comment

I think it would be ok if u removed your sash and crown.

Comment

Gotta agree with Babe. Do not compete at the powwow or one sponsored by the group you represent. Removal of sash and banner are unspoken rule around here. You should be able to compete at most pow-wows, other than your own -- unless the group you represent says otherwise.

We had one tribe here that didn't want their princess to compete anywhere....she was a good dancer and great princess....but they were interested in her representation only. Sad to say but I think she has lost interest in dancing, although she has focused on helping indian youth and started her own small organization, primary focus learning their ways.

Comment

My cousin was Miss Indian USA i think in '98 but she wasnt allowed to compete in pow wows because people could say oh my daughter beat out Miss IUSA. Which i could see happening lol. But its kinda dumb also does Miss GON compete? But i totally agree that as long as you take off your sash and crown its all right.
                  (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

thanks... i am a princess and this is why i am asking. my affiliation said that it is ok but i mean it is all up to the powwow contest coordinator too i think.

~Kelli
                    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

whenever i represented a tribe/organization, i would not compete in the contests....but if i went somewhere else, i would after i removed my sash and crown
                      WHEN FACED WITH A CHALLENGE, LOOK FOR A WAY NOT A WAY OUT.
                      Death: The pain passes but the beauty remains.

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
                        I agree; removing the sash and/or crown if they are to compete in a regular contest would be fair, they should never be discouraged from continuing to dance.
                        well put... i agree!
                        "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

i think that u shouldnt remove your sash or crown becaues u could be jammin out for ur comp and sum1 say dang shes a good dancer, and be like o she goes to that powwow, it mus be a goodin.
                          bucwild2012

Comment

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird
                            I think that you shouldn't remove your sash or crown because you could be jamming out for your company and someone might say damn! She is a good dancer, and then they'll be like, oh she goes to that powwow, it must be a good one at that.
                            Okay, I tried to proofread Suthernwaterbird's post but it was useless. Remove the sash and crown. By the way Suthernwaterbird, are you related to CherokeeGrassdancer9?
                            Last edited by quicksilverwade; 11-24-2004, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Made me laugh, Quickie.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.