Powwow Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powwow Eats

Whenever I go to a powwow I really look forward to the food!
    Throughout powwow country there seems to be little variety at the food stands. Wouldn't it be nice if there were something unique at the next powwow you go to? What kinds of food would you like to see at a powwow?

damn a tim hortons - can't deal with that coffee flavored water they try pass off as coffee. maybe something other than deep fried everything - some deli sandwiches and salads....might cut down on all those "the pow wow was good until some keeled over from a heart attack" stories
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Man some coffee you get is horrible... bleh.. thats why i stick to the hot chocolate or just make my own when out camping..

I look forward to indian tacos....mmmm.. who doesnt.. but its spoils it when you get one that isnt that great..

I'd like to see more curly fries at pow wows.. i can only find those things at the Ex.. or those potato curls.. love those.. i agree though.. some subs or deli style food would be a nice change of pace too...
      Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth
      :

Comment

This past July 4th powwow; they had a vendor that was selling bbq buffalo ribs; they were so good, that my husband had to go buy another one because the whole family was eating off of his. Every powwow should have good frybread; and I do mean good, I've had some of the worst frybread at events made by people that have noooo business making it.

Comment

We get Donairs at our Powwow...they r soooo good...tht greek guy is in my will

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
          When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Powwow Grub...

Originally posted by WocusWoman
            Every powwow should have good frybread; and I do mean good, I've had some of the worst frybread at events made by people that have noooo business making it.
            You got that right... Have you ever had bad frybread that slapped you back in the face after you take a bite?
            Last edited by Grizzly; 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM.
            **"Father eagle will always guide and protect."**

Comment

One of the last pow wows we went to this last summer/ fall had a vendor that sold newburgs....they were the bomb!! My mom and I had to eat a chocolate newburg both nights...they had the strawberry ones too and some other flavore but we hit the german chocolate hard!! Also someone did hot links wrapped in fry bread and they were reallllly good...bad for you but the taste was great!!! I'm with B_E_ G.. I'd take a greek stand anytime...
              OrangePridendnds1
              "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
              Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
              ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
              Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

A couple years ago NorthernKiowa did a T-Bone steak plate with all the trimmings. I heard it was good, but the line was so long and I think they ran out every day. :(

My ex always wanted to do a roasted prairie dog/rockchuck stand. We could make a killing. OK, it's a regional delicacy.

I LOVE Crow Fair, but hate trying to find the good frybread or anything good and usually settle for Pizza Hut at least once a day.

And Denver March just HAS to do something about the food sitch. That line for Indian Tacos is ridiculous!!

But then at Cody, WYO powwow, it's nice to have the stands limited cuz my daughter's in-law's always make out big.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

I look forward to the nachos, cheesy fries, gravy 'n fries, indian dogs (there the best)!! but usually im busy talkin or lookin around doing something lol..hardly ever eating at pw's
                  (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

Powwow Eats

Five years ago last September at White Swan, WA there was an older lady in a white trailer that was selling huge platters of enchiladas with all the trimmings for four dollars. Man that was good! I've been back year after year and have gone to powwows all over the Northwest, but never saw that vendor in the white trailer again! :( Boo Hoo!!!!!

Comment

Im usually scared to try something, maybe just frybred w/honey, and some curly frys. I also would like to see something that is less fatening, cause all you hear about on reservations is the diabetes in native americans, and pow-wows are where most natives are so, i think maybe one day i'll make a stand that sells salads and diet rite soda...lol. Or just flavored water! Well, i probably wouldn't but it would make sense.
                      '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
                      SOUTHERN STYOZ
                      '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

Originally posted by oOoSouthernStyozoOo
                        Im usually scared to try something, maybe just frybred w/honey, and some curly frys. I also would like to see something that is less fatening, cause all you hear about on reservations is the diabetes in native americans, and pow-wows are where most natives are so, i think maybe one day i'll make a stand that sells salads and diet rite soda...lol. Or just flavored water! Well, i probably wouldn't but it would make sense.
                        My wife was telling me that if somebody served subs they would probably do well. We were thinking of doing that at a couple of powwows this year. Don't know how it would be received.

Comment

options

Hey thank you all who've replied! It is really interesting to read your comments. I have been debating whether or not to have a food stand. Because diabetes and heart disease very much a problem in NDN country, my thoughts were to serve a healthy selection of food. Foods low in sugar and carbohydrates (carbs turn to sugar in the blood). Lighter fare on those hot summer days (low cholesterol) things like sandwiches, fresh fruit, etc. I am a big fan of beautiful presentations and fine dining. I would love to bring these foods to the people at a very affordable price. I was just unsure how this would be recieved. I know that I am not alone when I say love tacos, frybread but wouldn't it be nice if we had other options?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinu Star
                            Hey thank you all who've replied! It is really interesting to read your comments. I have been debating whether or not to have a food stand.
                            Do eeet!.....lol

As with anything its a risk..but in this case.. definitly a risk worth taking..

Subs and fresh food especially fruit would for really be welcome at pow wows..
                            Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth
                            :

Comment

Originally posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
                              We get Donairs at our Powwow...they r soooo good...tht greek guy is in my will
                              i haven't heard donair in the longest time!!!! i haveno't had one in 20 years or so, last time i hjad was in Nova Scotia, at some country fair up there.
                              Bahnisiain

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X