What is "Northern?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Northern?"

It seems the term "Northern" has many different meanings. We all have seen it used at powwows to describe dances, songs, drum groups, etc.

So what exactly is "Northern?"

If I lived in Northern Texas, California or Florida could I tell the people who live in the southern part of these states, "I'm a Northern Indian?"

If I live in New Mexico, Oklahoma or Georgia and sing "Northern" with a drum group from one of these states, is it REALLY "Northern" singing? What if I dance Northern traditional and live in southern Mississippi?

If I come from a tribe or lived in Washington, Montana, Michigan or Maine would a Canadian believe me if I told them I was "Northern?"

What about the southern provinces. Are they "Northern?" . . . they are, but not if they are talking to someone from Nanuvit.

If you only dance southern, can you be "Northern?"

Does being Northern in your heart and mind. . . mean that you are? *L Is Northern just a state-of-mind, or is it a geographic location? Then can you be North Eastern by way of the West? *L

It seems the term "Northern" is about as vague as the term "traditional."

What do you think?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 12-29-2004, 02:34 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I'll start it off...sweet and simple

- Me!
    - An area
    - A style

Others, care to elaborate?

Comment

WhoMe...You can be whatever u wanna be luv...if you feel Northern in your heart, so be it! ;)

It's all become vague....."NORTHERN IS AS NORTHERN DOES"

To me; In the grand powwow world northern describes your style of singing, dancing, dress & category. i.e., N. Tradish, N. Fancy,
      (cant say i've really seen any N. Straight Dancers or S. Chicken Dancers..who knows what might happen next tho) Regionally representing those tribes from the Northern states as well as Canada.

It's a Powwow term i suppose...i dont usually introduce myself & say "HEY! I'm Dora & i'm Northern"....aye!

Location Location Location.....

Now a days, people dance whatever style they want regarless of where they're from or Tribal affiliation...i couldn't believe a navajo won that smoke dance competition at GON but hey...funnier things have happened!

geez...this is directions 101
      Last edited by buckskin pantyhose; 12-29-2004, 03:11 PM.
      *BE EASY*

Comment

It's all relative...just like the Eastern Shoshone. Sounds like we're from the East right? (Well, just slightly east of the continental divide.) But we're just eastern compared to the ShoBans, and the Western Shoshones in Nevada and Cali.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to get poetic....
          *BE EASY*

Comment

Well. . .

There are Southern Chicken Dancers in every state that touches Mexico. (But then again . . .there is Southern fried chicken in Canada too)! *L

Drums in Canada are sometimes asked to render a "Southern style fancy dance song" for Northern men's fancy dance competition. (and I might add most of them do a good job!)

There is also a "Northern" drum nominated for a GRAMMY from a pueblo in New Mexico.

As Forrest Gump once said,

*swallow, "Northern is as Northern du-uzzzz."
            Last edited by WhoMe; 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

What is Northern?

uuuuuuuummm
              all i know is that, "i am a Northerner"
              Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
              A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
              A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
              Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

That you is, Inuk. A true northerner.

Comment

<-- tips er cwgrl hat 'n say's, "yes um"-

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                  That you is, Inuk. A true northerner.
                  Inuk*

Comment

Made me think of something really bad referrin to northern and southern parts. Better not tell anybody what I was thinking. Don't want to get banned or suspended. But me I like both parts. That's all I am saying.

Comment

How could something bad be good?

J/K I know whatcha mean.

Comment

oooooooooooooomg ... and YOU ...

Originally posted by badmaninc
                        Made me think of something really bad referrin to northern and southern parts. Better not tell anybody what I was thinking. Don't want to get banned or suspended. But me I like both parts. That's all I am saying.
                        omg badmaninc,
                        AND
                        YOU "wonder" about ME
                        LMEBO
                        Inuk*

Comment

Originally posted by nt_inuk
                          omg badmaninc,
                          AND
                          YOU "wonder" about ME
                          LMEBO
                          I don't know what you mean by what you have posted in here Inuk. I am an angel, I swear. HEHEHEHEh. Noticed didn't take you long to find your way into the same place I was.

Comment

I'm no expert but...

well, I suppose back in the day you could tell what region a dancer was from by the designs on their outfit and their style of dancing. Now it's hard to tell what tribe or where they are from. Northern is just a loosely used powwow term used in the separation of catergories at a contest powwow. Myself, I am a northern traditional dancer--always have been. There's a big difference in the way we dance in comparison to the Southern traditional dancers. But hey Northern or Southern we're all beautiful!

Comment

now ... i know ur truely ... cnd

Originally posted by badmaninc
                              I don't know what you mean by what you have posted in here Inuk. I am an angel, I swear. HEHEHEHEh. Noticed didn't take you long to find your way into the same place I was.
                              Inuk*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.