UNC-Chapel Hill Spring Powwow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC-Chapel Hill Spring Powwow

In celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the Carolina Indian Circle, will be holding it's 18th Annual Spring Pow Wow in the Great Hall located inside of the Frank Porter Graham Student Union. This will be a contest event and tribal cards must be shown to compete. All Dancers and Drums are welcome. Drums we ask that you contact us in advance so we'll now how many are coming.

Date: March 5th, 2005
    Grand Entry: 11:00 am

MC: Sandon Jacobs (Waccamaw-Siouan)
    Host Drum: Southern Sun Singers (Pembroke, NC)
    Head Male: Josh Richardson (Haliwa-Saponi)
    Head Female: Kristey Evans (Meherrin)

Arena Director: Brock Jacobs (Lumbee)
    Head Judge: Marty Richardson (Haliwa-Saponi)
    Tabulator: Becky Adkins (Lumbee/Chickahominy)

THERE WILL BE A SPECIAL HONORING FOR SENORA LYNCH (Haliwa-Saponi)

Contest Categories

Drum Contest:
    1st = $500, 2nd = $300, 3rd = $200

2 Man Hand Drum Contest:
    Winner takes all = $100

Adults (ages 18+) all categories:
    1st = $175, 2nd = $125, 3rd = $100

Teen (ages 13-17) all categories
    1st = $100, 2nd = $75, 3rd = $50

There will be a giveway for all Boys, Girls, and Tiny Tot Dancers!!!!!

Vendors please refer to www.unc.edu/student/orgs/cic for intructions and a vendor application.

Pow wow flyers can also be obtained at www.unc.edu/student/orgs/cic

Host Hotel Information:
    Holiday Inn Chapel Hill located on US 15-501
    The reservation number is toll free 1-888-452-5765 (let them know you are with the Carolina Indian Circle). If you would like to get the discount rate at $69.95/night please contact them by February 23, 2005.

Directions will be posted soon.

Any questions about the pow wow can be sent to [email protected], or Ericka Cummings at [email protected].
    "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Hey - thanks for posting this - always a good pow-wow.
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

We are excited about the pow wow this year. It's not that far away. I may be incorrect on this one but I'm thinking this is the 1st college contest pow wow in NC. Keeping our fingers crossed that we draw a very nice crowd.
      "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

Comment

I'll be there

I'm excited, this is always a nice college pow wow. I'm so proud of the Carolina Indian Circle, ya'll have been doing it up this year. Congrats in advance on a job well done, and I'll see ya on the 5th.
        Behind every good man is an even better woman!

Comment

wasn't ECU contest?
          Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

i have no idea if ecu has ever sponsored a contest powwow. i know last year it wasn't contest because i attended it.

Comment

I think it is mega cool that you are honoring Senora - she deserves it all.....

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

honoring

i am personally excited that we are honoring ms. senora. for those of you who don't know she took a bead pattern and the university made a brick pattern out of it. we now have a walkway in between the 2 buildings of our student union that has american indian design on them. she entitled the piece "the gift". i'm attaching the link to the carolina indian circle website again because there picture of it on the homepage. this walkway has permanantely made an indian presence on the campus unc-chapel hill. we are truly grateful.

Comment

Sound like a GOOT one, might hafta make it out for that one.
                  Put me in tha rez with crazy N-Dens and I'll survive
                  Put me in tha city with crazy Whites and I'll die

Comment

Originally posted by lumbee_warrior
                    i am personally excited that we are honoring ms. senora. for those of you who don't know she took a bead pattern and the university made a brick pattern out of it. we now have a walkway in between the 2 buildings of our student union that has american indian design on them. she entitled the piece "the gift". i'm attaching the link to the carolina indian circle website again because there picture of it on the homepage. this walkway has permanantely made an indian presence on the campus unc-chapel hill. we are truly grateful.
                    Senora has been an amazing woman since the first day I met her and Delton. She beaded Joe's first set of mocs!

<---Joe

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I wanna see that pattern!!!!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

I am really looking forward to this powwow. I think that CIC has done an awesome job in preparation for it. I hope that all you dancers and singers come out and support their efforts. They have truly worked hard. It's great to see the pioneering efforts that started even before I went to school there are still continuing and are getting better. My hats off to you. I am sure it will be a great success. I know the stress and hard work can get overwhelming so if you need any help in these days leading up to it, just give me a ring. I will do all that I can.

Kristey

Comment

directions

folks i will be posting directions to the powwow parking area soon. tell all your friends and family about the event. like i said before we are celebrating 30 years of indian existence at a predominately white institution. it's a huge accomplishment.

Comment

When I was at the Durham pow wow this past weekend, I had a lot of people telling me about this one and inviting my daughter and I over. Then I realized it's the same weekend as the one at MTSU in Tennessee. Midnite Express is host there with Youngbird. That's too close to pass up, but you guys have a great dance, and I'm looking forward to coming that way again soon.
                            I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Hey Lumbee Warrior - either email or call me!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Becky B.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.