Short hair and dancing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short hair and dancing...

Hello all... I have a question and would like some advice.

There was recently a death in the family and i cut my hair pretty short. I was wondering if it was ok for me do dance at powwows and competitions... I have never came to this before, i have always had longer hair.

Thanks
    ~Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

aahhh...the fakey braid solution...dependin on the length of your hair - works well with a shoulder length bob - you put your hair in two low pony tails. then take some cloth - broadcloth works well - the length your want your "new" braids and maybe about 6 - 8 inches wide. wrap the cloth around your short ponytails with elastics. then wrap your "fakey" braids with bias tape or leather tightly and spaced very close together. you will probably have to use some small barrettes at the top of your braids to "cover" the tops and stay away from small children or large people who like to pull braids. i've had friends, neices and sisters that have used this method - you cant tell the difference....

sorry bout your family member...welcome back into the circle...
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

well thanks... but it is a little shorter then shoulder length.. (it doesn't help when i go to beauty school). i can braid the front part, but there is no luck for the back yet... Thanks.
      Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

braids

You have cut your hair due to a passing. This good and right. It is also a custom to not dance for one year.
        Springdeer

Comment

Originally posted by n8tivechick
          well thanks... but it is a little shorter then shoulder length.. (it doesn't help when i go to beauty school). i can braid the front part, but there is no luck for the back yet... Thanks.
          Kelli
          See.. I also didn't know that.

Comment

oops.. i mean about the year thing.... i hit the wrong Quote.....

Comment

N8tivechick-If you don't know what your own people's traditions are about dancing and such, why not learn. I don't agree with you or anyone else adopting the traditions of other people. Learn about Cherokee and Lenape ways; and then go with what you feel to be right.

Comment

i guess it would be entirely up to YOU if and WHEN you return to the circle. i've had people i know that when a family member passed away they TOLD them to not to stay away from dancing because they liked the way they danced. it is totally your decision - not every tribes beliefs are the same.....
                Watch your broken dreams...
                Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

A year of no dancing

I recieved my information from Sunbear a Cherokee elder and healer. Also from the elder WhiteBird who was born and raised on a Cheroke rez. One more, my Halfside is a teacher of the old ways, healer and holder of a cherokee pipe.
                  Not getting uppity here, just stating my learning and sources.
                  I love learning from Sunbear, Whitebird and Blackthunder.
                  Springdeer

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
                    N8tivechick-If you don't know what your own people's traditions are about dancing and such, why not learn. I don't agree with you or anyone else adopting the traditions of other people. Learn about Cherokee and Lenape ways; and then go with what you feel to be right.
                    Sorry you don't agree with me, and i am very disappointed to hear that you think i am trying to adopt others' traditions. I am not, i have never encountered this situation and i was asking opinions, not adopting traditions. Maybe i was curious about other people tradtions? Think of that?
                    ~kelli

Comment

Dude, when you first read that I was thinking this thread should be in the 49.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyldwolf52
                        I recieved my information from Sunbear a Cherokee elder and healer. Also from the elder WhiteBird who was born and raised on a Cheroke rez. One more, my Halfside is a teacher of the old ways, healer and holder of a cherokee pipe.
                        Not getting uppity here, just stating my learning and sources.
                        I love learning from Sunbear, Whitebird and Blackthunder.
                        Springdeer
                        Man...I just noticed, that's a lot of animals!

<----That's Joe
                        Last edited by Joe's Dad; 03-02-2005, 01:27 AM.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X