X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyldwolf52
    I recieved my information from Sunbear a Cherokee elder and healer. Also from the elder WhiteBird who was born and raised on a Cheroke rez. One more, my Halfside is a teacher of the old ways, healer and holder of a cherokee pipe.
    Not getting uppity here, just stating my learning and sources.
    I love learning from Sunbear, Whitebird and Blackthunder.
    Springdeer
    Man...I just noticed, that's a lot of animals!

<----That's Joe
    Last edited by Joe's Dad; 03-02-2005, 01:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• badmaninc
    replied
    Dude, when you first read that I was thinking this thread should be in the 49.

Leave a comment:

• n8tivechick
    replied
    Originally posted by WocusWoman
    N8tivechick-If you don't know what your own people's traditions are about dancing and such, why not learn. I don't agree with you or anyone else adopting the traditions of other people. Learn about Cherokee and Lenape ways; and then go with what you feel to be right.
    Sorry you don't agree with me, and i am very disappointed to hear that you think i am trying to adopt others' traditions. I am not, i have never encountered this situation and i was asking opinions, not adopting traditions. Maybe i was curious about other people tradtions? Think of that?
    ~kelli

Leave a comment:

• Wyldwolf52
    replied
    A year of no dancing

I recieved my information from Sunbear a Cherokee elder and healer. Also from the elder WhiteBird who was born and raised on a Cheroke rez. One more, my Halfside is a teacher of the old ways, healer and holder of a cherokee pipe.
    Not getting uppity here, just stating my learning and sources.
    I love learning from Sunbear, Whitebird and Blackthunder.
    Springdeer

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    i guess it would be entirely up to YOU if and WHEN you return to the circle. i've had people i know that when a family member passed away they TOLD them to not to stay away from dancing because they liked the way they danced. it is totally your decision - not every tribes beliefs are the same.....

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    N8tivechick-If you don't know what your own people's traditions are about dancing and such, why not learn. I don't agree with you or anyone else adopting the traditions of other people. Learn about Cherokee and Lenape ways; and then go with what you feel to be right.

Leave a comment:

• n8tivechick
    replied
    oops.. i mean about the year thing.... i hit the wrong Quote.....

Leave a comment:

• n8tivechick
    replied
    Originally posted by n8tivechick
    well thanks... but it is a little shorter then shoulder length.. (it doesn't help when i go to beauty school). i can braid the front part, but there is no luck for the back yet... Thanks.
    Kelli
    See.. I also didn't know that.

Leave a comment:

• Wyldwolf52
    replied
    braids

You have cut your hair due to a passing. This good and right. It is also a custom to not dance for one year.
    Springdeer

Leave a comment:

• n8tivechick
    replied
    well thanks... but it is a little shorter then shoulder length.. (it doesn't help when i go to beauty school). i can braid the front part, but there is no luck for the back yet... Thanks.
    Kelli

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    aahhh...the fakey braid solution...dependin on the length of your hair - works well with a shoulder length bob - you put your hair in two low pony tails. then take some cloth - broadcloth works well - the length your want your "new" braids and maybe about 6 - 8 inches wide. wrap the cloth around your short ponytails with elastics. then wrap your "fakey" braids with bias tape or leather tightly and spaced very close together. you will probably have to use some small barrettes at the top of your braids to "cover" the tops and stay away from small children or large people who like to pull braids. i've had friends, neices and sisters that have used this method - you cant tell the difference....

sorry bout your family member...welcome back into the circle...

Leave a comment:

• n8tivechick
    started a topic Short hair and dancing...

Short hair and dancing...

Hello all... I have a question and would like some advice.

There was recently a death in the family and i cut my hair pretty short. I was wondering if it was ok for me do dance at powwows and competitions... I have never came to this before, i have always had longer hair.

Thanks
    ~Kelli

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.