Powwow Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powwow Paper

I volunteered to help at a powwow in Hattiesburg, Mississippi this weekend, and I was fascinated with the whole event. I am going to write a paper about it for my World Music class, and I was wondering if someone who knows about powwows could answer a few questions that I have. Anyone who does answer my questions will be cited in the paper and given full credit for his/her knowlege on the subject. Thanks, and here are my questions.

1. When did the powwow become popular outside of the plains area?

2. What is the greater spiritual significance of each particular dance and each style of dancer?

3. What is the most important aspect of a powwow?

4. How important is the powwow to the Native American society?

Well, those are my questions. I would greatly appreciate any and all comments, and if there is anything that I don't know to ask about, I would be grateful for that insight as well.

Many thanks,
    Josh Aldy

Dude, there are a couple of threads in this here place on that topic already. Why don't you go read them or something. Then again go speak to somebody cause we could be making S*** up.

Comment

Powwow Paper

I was really wanting a personal response more than analytical information. I can find that in the library, or like you said, on this website. I really want to know the significance of a powwow to an individual. Maybe I asked the wrong questions. I am very knew to this.

Here are my quesitons again if this gets separated from the original post.

1. What is the greater spiritual significance of each particular dance and each style of dancer?

2. What is the most important aspect of a powwow?

3. How important is the powwow to the Native American society?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

responding skarp hedin

1. people dance for their own reasons, I personally dance for my family, I pray for goodness, and this is how I thank the creator.

2. one very important aspect of powwow would probably be retrieving of a fallen feather. when a feather is dropped, it's important that it is picked up properly by veterans. fallen feathers are not taken serious.

3. i don't know if important is the word, i don't think that it's so much important. this is a way of life.

i hope others add their comment also because these questions are very typical of how not-knowing society is to native culture.

Comment

Originally posted by incognito
          1. people dance for their own reasons, I personally dance for my family, I pray for goodness, and this is how I thank the creator.

2. one very important aspect of powwow would probably be retrieving of a fallen feather. when a feather is dropped, it's important that it is picked up properly by veterans. fallen feathers are not taken serious.

3. i don't know if important is the word, i don't think that it's so much important. this is a way of life.

i hope others add their comment also because these questions are very typical of how not-knowing society is to native culture.
          This very suddenly made a lot of sense. At first when you said, "i don't know if important is the word, i don't think that it's so much important. this is a way of life," I was very confused. I thought, a way of life seems to me to be important. Then, very abruptly, it all made sense. European America is so blinded by its own culture that it doesn't even notice that your culture exists. I went to that powwow and I thought I saw something completely different from what was actually going on. I thought a powwow was a grand rememberance of a glorious and honorable past. I was wrong. A powwow is an event of a present, and very much alive culture. I believe many European Americans have this misconception. However absurd it is, they believe that the American Indian culture is a thing of the past and that a modern day powwow is only a tribute to that past. I am ashamed for ever having a part in this belief. A powwow is not really important because it is simply a part of the culture. Going to a European opera is not really important to a European American, and it is the same with you. These are merely parts of our lives and cultures. I hope you will forgive me for my ignorance, and I thank you for enlightening me.

Your response to my questions has been vital to my understanding of your culture, and I am most indebted to you for that. Because you have been so fundamental in my understanding, I would like to be able to give you proper credit in my paper if you would be willing to give me your name.

Thank you for everything, and again, I hope you will forgive me of my ignorance.

Josh

Comment

no credit needed

in answering your post, i wasn't looking for credit. i'm glad the information i provided was useful to you. good-luck on your paper.

Comment

I don't know if he graduated yet or not, and I cannot think of his name either, But there is one heck of a dancer attending USM' graduate school in the Anthropology department. he's been daning since at least 15 years, if not longer. i may be able to remember his name tomorrow.
              I believe USM has a native organization, I'ld talk to them. Also here is an upcoming powwow in your area:
              NATCHEZ POWWOW MARCH 19-20, 2005 (Palm Sunday Weekend)
              17th Annual at the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians
              400 Jefferson Davis Blvd. Natchez, Mississippi 39120
              Historic Site off Hwy 61 South……. Administered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History

Some hints on "interviewing," 1Ask permission to record, otherwise be prepared to write.
              2 have your questions written out ion advance.
              3. NO means NO!

Hope this helps.
              GJJudd

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X