No announcement yet.

Let's Talk GRAND ENTRYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, for one, don't have a problem with the men coming in first because I was raised to respect the fact that the arena was for men originally, women and children came into the arena later in the mid 1900's. The arena has always been for men because of how they fought and died for the people.
    So, I still respect that fact. I think the men and the veterans(which now include women) should come in first because they are the ones who paved the way for the rest of the tribe to maintain the right to dance and sing.
    Plus, on the contest side...it gives me more time to get ready. LOL Just kidding.
    I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

what I have seen + some facts

Boozhoo niji,

OK I am only 33, and I have only been dancing for around 8 years so I am not old enough to know anything about the origins of grand entry and I am not even going to pretend to know anything about it, but... I have seen a lot in that time.

Down here in Florida, the process goes, Grand Entry, prayer, Flag song, Memorial song, Veterans song, then a set of round dances kicks in before the dancers can leave the circle. (I hate round dancing)

Up north in White Earth, there is the Grand Entry and a prayer, then it goes directly into intertribals.

From what I have seen, down here, it serves two purposes, in the case of a contest, it adds points. In any case, the MC is usually announcing who or what is comming in next, and if the white people are listening, then they become educated so they dont have to go around asking what kind of dancer everyone is later.

Finally, if they want to do grand entries I have no problem with that. I dont bust a gut to try to make it on time to the grand entry anymore. The reason being is cause down here in florida, (which isa bad example of pow wows) average number of dancers is around 50, the grand entry song ususally lasts 5-10 minutes. I fancy dance, which as far as exercise is concerned, is the same as running or jogging. An average man can run a mile in less than five minutes, so you might as well say that in that 10 minute song I have run at least two miles.

Ok after that we have to stand in place for 10 minutes while someone says a prayer, then another 5 minutes for a flag song and yet another 5 minutes for a memorial song? Sorry, after running 2 miles I feel like sitting down. And then they want us to do that side step round dance, argh!

Up north things are simpler. I have seen 500 dancers, and the grand entry last 30 minutes, ok so thats a mini boston marathon from my perspective. But after that is done, they say a short prayer, maybe 2 minutes tops, and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief and do whatever they want. Best part is... Whats a round dance? :)

Derek
      I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Hi
        My experience with grand entries male dancers come chugging out and woman and children at the end. the vets dance next. the prayer, intertribals next.
        Asema Is Sacred
        Traditional Use, Not Misuse
        Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
        OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Originally posted by tallman
          I don't go back far enough to remember when there were no grand entries..
          :)
          "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

It's nice to see the Gourd Dancers come in at the GE. And I pretty sure they're not doing it for points but for representation. I've seen alot of people go through GE or have been invited to "lead" the dancers in and have kind of a privilaged or yet an honoured expression and attitude throughout the powwow. With Gourd we simply start singing and start the dancing, after the first few songs of course, no special GE's, or at least I haven't witnessed one yet.
            "I Ahula Ula"
            Enjoying the ride.
            BETA SIGMA EPSILON

Comment

I think men who have more than one wife should come in first, then women who have lots of lovers come in second. Followed by kids whos brothers and sisters have different daddies. Then white people should come in and thrash, then all the black guys sing the grand entry song with mexicans selling tacos nearby while us indians wait for our contest naked, but proud and not bashful. Then clowns should come in and clean up the mess communication only with whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Orphan
                I think men who have more than one wife should come in first, then women who have lots of lovers come in second. Followed by kids whos brothers and sisters have different daddies. Then white people should come in and thrash, then all the black guys sing the grand entry song with mexicans selling tacos nearby while us indians wait for our contest naked, but proud and not bashful. Then clowns should come in and clean up the mess communication only with whistles.
                now that funny!
                "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

I asked my mom, and she doesn't remember powwows having grand entries when she was young in the late 50's in Oklahoma. She thinks she would have remembered having to stand that long!

Comment

__

Bing O,

Some people on pws.com take the words that are posted (even if they are sarcastic and facetious) as gospel.

Now look what you may have started!

*L
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I don't know about you allz kidz in yur familys but dang the onez in mine are all wild like runnin around and all. I could see them leading the way. holay

Comment

Grand Entry

You got it right on the head there Who Me.

The Grand Entry for the Native American Powwows was developed from the Grand Entry of the Wild West Shows and the Rodeos of the 19th Century.

It slowly became a part of the Native Powwow across the country in the 20th Century. This took a long time as you could find many events that did not use a Grand Entry as late as the early 1970's. But as time moved on the Grand Entry became almost fully mainstreamed by the late 1970's and early 1980's across both the United States and Canada.

There are many Elders that can easily remember no such thing as a Grand Entry.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                          11. Late, half-dressed, stragglers who try and get their numbers taken anyway! *L
                          Okay, okay, yes, once and only once, was I that late to a grand entry. The line was so long that I got there half dressed and was completely dressed by the time I went in. But no, I DID NOT have my number taken away!!!!!!!
                          Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Where do the fighting ex-girlfriends go? Should they be included with the multiple wives???
                            Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Yikes, it may be one of the longest grand entries ever, depending on what part of pow wow country you are in.LOL
                              Especially when the ex-girlfriends and wives have to find their place...what about 49 babes, do they count somewhere in this theoretical grand entry?
                              I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

Grand Entries

(what about 49 babes, do they count somewhere in this theoretical grand entry? )

Most 49 babes probably can't,count that is,cause if they are messin around at the nine with a married guy they ain't to bright anyway...............lol

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.