Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing in the Center

Originally posted by RedGrassdancer
    When the Eagle Staff, the Flags, and the veterans all go in, they only make one round and then take their place at the center and wait for the rest of the dancers to file in. Regarding the amount of the dancers, those in the center may stand there for up to 40 minutes if it is a large powwow.
    I have stood the 40+ minutes just this Sunday. Does it take something out of a person?
    Yes if you carry an Injury from serving. Myself I have a leg wound and the person next to me was with a walker. Why then do we stand? I can not answer for the Veteran next to me, but myself I STAND for the WARRIORS that can not be there, one’s that have paid the <b>SUPREME SACRIFICE</b>. <br>

If you where at the National Powwow in DC Sunday I was the SGT that was in Army Green in the Grand Entry.

I wear the 32nd AADMCO in honor of the Brave Woman and Men’s of the 507th Maint. Co. that was lost that day and wear it in memory of Lori Ann Piestewa (HOPI).

PS There 3 Army Patches I can wear: 50Th Armor, 32nd AADMCO and US Army Signal School. I have picked the 32nd.

SGT Nordhorn 1973-1979
    Abenaki Nation of Mississquoi
    HHB 3/71 ADA, 94th Groop
    32nd AADCOM (that what it was called in the 70's)

PSS: I am not nocking the poster message, just giving a insite to why some of us stand the time

Comment

WHY some of stand the 40 min

Originally posted by RedGrassdancer
      When the Eagle Staff, the Flags, and the veterans all go in, they only make one round and then take their place at the center and wait for the rest of the dancers to file in. Regarding the amount of the dancers, those in the center may stand there for up to 40 minutes if it is a large powwow.
      I have stood the 40+ minutes just this Sunday. Does it take something out of a person?
      Yes if you carry an Injury from serving. Myself I have a leg wound and the person next to me was with a walker. Why then do we stand? I can not answer for the Veteran next to me, but myself I STAND for the WARRIORS that can not be there, one’s that have paid the <b>SUPREME SACRIFICE</b>. <br>

If you where at the National Powwow in DC Sunday I was the SGT that was in Army Green in the Grand Entry.

I wear the 32nd AADMCO in honor of the Brave Woman and Men’s of the 507th Maint. Co. that was lost that day and wear it in memory of Lori Ann Piestewa (HOPI).

PS: Their 3 Army Patches I can wear: 50Th Armor, 32nd AADMCO and US Army Signal School. I have picked the 32nd.

SGT Nordhorn 1973-1979
      Abenaki Nation of Mississquoi
      HHB 3/71 ADA, 94th Group
      32nd AADCOM (that what it was called in the 70's)

PSS: I am not knocking the poster message, just giving an insight to why some of us stand the time

Comment

Grand Entry

I think that it would not be the same without Grand Entry, there is always a beginning and end to everything. RIGHT?

Comment

I am always happy to be in grand entry and honor all my fellow veterans.

The longest grand entry I remember dancing in was 45+ minutes... and being a veteran, that meant I was pretty tired and sweaty by the time the flag and veterans songs were over. My hip was so sore that I had to pass on the round dance that day... and I had to sit through a few intertribals too ....and I'd do it all over again
          "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
          ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
          some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
          some have weird names, & all different colors,
          but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

xtra long GE

2004 gallup intertribal pw, so the temp was pretty hot id say in the 90+, so they had the ROTC color gaurd the MC went on and on and on , prayer was givin, vets song,flag song well you know the order. newayz 2 of the color guard rotc'ers passed out from standing out there fell over like 49babe after her 9th round lol. anyways that GE was a lil too long causing people to pass out, oh yea by the way this is the same PW were Sen. Kerry was present and the whole thang was glamorized across the TV networks yea it was a mess not to mention the trouble secret service caused for alot of people trying to get in their regalia /outfits esp men dancers with dance staffs, just some info for all ya out there
            SOUTHERN XTREME.....WE HERE NOW!!!!! www.myspace.com/southernxtremesingers

Comment

Just wondering...

Why is it that during grand entry everybody stands except the drummers? Are they special? I mean even the drums that are not singing. And their backups, they don't stand either. I sometimes sit behind the drum and even if I feel ackward being the only one standing by the drum, I still do out of respect. Any explanation?

Comment

I went to a powwow in Washington last year and never saw a grand entry let alone the dancing go counter clockwise. Was a jamming grand entry took like 30 miniutes to get everyone in but do all powwows in Washington go countery clockwise. Not trying to put down on nothing like that just asking is all.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmos
                  Why is it that during grand entry everybody stands except the drummers? Are they special? I mean even the drums that are not singing. And their backups, they don't stand either. I sometimes sit behind the drum and even if I feel ackward being the only one standing by the drum, I still do out of respect. Any explanation?
                  Grand entry is relatively a new thing. My uncle said that we didn't do grand entries until the 1960s or so. Remember, powwow dancing was made illegal by the US government for a long time. We used to have to pretend we were doing THEIR thing (Flag day, 4th of July, Veterans' Day) just to keep 'em off our backs.

When i was a kid we used to have ONE grand entry at the beginning of the powwow, and then after breaks (or the next day), we'd just come back dancing and pick up where we left off. People used to dance for the people, and now they dance for prize money.

As for the drums, I was told that we don't stand (but still remove our headcovers) because we are already in a circle as a part of the bigger one.
                  Big Pauly, Anishinaabe Ogitchidaa Aanikoominodewiwin

Comment

wow!

WOW! JUST TWO WEEKS AGO I WAS BROWSING ALL THE THREADS AND i CAME ACROSS A THREAD ON NAVAJOS DANCING IN THE CIRCLE, YAP YAP YAP BACK AND FORTH ON POWW0W BEING INTERTRIBAL AND THAT THE OKLAHOMA INDIANS INTRODUCED THE NAVAJOS TO POWW0W CIRCLE. NO ONE MENTIONED THE NORTHERN PLAINS PLAYING A ROLE IN INVITING US IN THE CIRCLE; NOR DO THE OKLAHOMA INDIANS KNOW WHEN AND WHY THERE ARE GRAND ENTRIES.
                    GO BACK TO PAGE ONE, THERE were several thread that mention is was all for show. It was for points. How do the oklahoma tribes feel about this? They talk so much of SACRED CEREMONY. How sacred is the grand entry?

Comment

Originally posted by injurycase
                      WOW! JUST TWO WEEKS AGO I WAS BROWSING ALL THE THREADS AND i CAME ACROSS A THREAD ON NAVAJOS DANCING IN THE CIRCLE, YAP YAP YAP BACK AND FORTH ON POWW0W BEING INTERTRIBAL AND THAT THE OKLAHOMA INDIANS INTRODUCED THE NAVAJOS TO POWW0W CIRCLE. NO ONE MENTIONED THE NORTHERN PLAINS PLAYING A ROLE IN INVITING US IN THE CIRCLE; NOR DO THE OKLAHOMA INDIANS KNOW WHEN AND WHY THERE ARE GRAND ENTRIES.
                      GO BACK TO PAGE ONE, THERE were several thread that mention is was all for show. It was for points. How do the oklahoma tribes feel about this? They talk so much of SACRED CEREMONY. How sacred is the grand entry?
                      Injured,

Both northern and southern plains Indians participated in early wild west shows (Buffalo Bills, Pawnee Bills and the 101 Ranch etc.) This is where the "parade in" (later known as the grand entry) had it's roots.

Where did you get the idea that Oklahoma Indians don't know when and why there are grand entries?

I don't thing too many Oklahoma Indians feel the powwow is a "sacred ceremony."

It is mostly tribes that have adopted the powwow that refer to the powwow as "sacred or ceremony."

I really don't feel too many of your people were individually "invited" into the powwow circle by anybody. They just came into the powwow circle out of a genuine interest to be apart of a bigger picture. There's nothing wrong with that.

I can actually name individuals who were instrumental in bringing powwow to the southwest. I am chronicling the history of powwows in the southwest, right now.

It is very true that southern plains Indians influenced the first powwows in the southwest, particularly on the Navaho reservation. The northern plains influences followed later.
                      Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM.
                      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe

I can actually name individuals who were instrumental in bringing powwow to the southwest. I am chronicling the history of powwows in the southwest, right now.
                        Don't forget about the "great drum wars" of the southwest. Chuckle.
                        Big Pauly, Anishinaabe Ogitchidaa Aanikoominodewiwin

Comment

Originally posted by rollthedicen8v
                          I went to a powwow in Washington last year and never saw a grand entry let alone the dancing go counter clockwise. Was a jamming grand entry took like 30 miniutes to get everyone in but do all powwows in Washington go countery clockwise. Not trying to put down on nothing like that just asking is all.
                          I heard that alot of powwows west of the rockies do things like that. i dont know. First time I saw it was in Post Falls, ID.
                          Mr Oakley was here

see my powwow videos here...
                          www.youtube.com/oaklee84

Comment

Hey WHOME

GO READ ALL THE THREAD ON "BASHING NAVAJOS"
                            THEN START READING THE THREAD ON " GRAND ENTRIES"

A LOT OF CONFUSED INDIANS. THEY DON'T LIKE NAVAJOS dancing their style at pow-wows becasue they are sacred. if it is sacred why display it to the public? why do you advertise? why? why? Many of the people who reply on the threads are most likely 3/4 white and 1/4 indian; or happen to live off the powwow money. their just jealous that Navajos have more creativity with designs, colors and contemporary dance steps. OOhh! I felt the burn on that. Stop hatin on us, hate on your grandparents.

Comment

Hey Injured

Originally posted by injurycase
                              GO READ ALL THE THREAD ON "BASHING NAVAJOS"
                              THEN START READING THE THREAD ON " GRAND ENTRIES"

A LOT OF CONFUSED INDIANS. THEY DON'T LIKE NAVAJOS dancing their style at pow-wows becasue they are sacred. if it is sacred why display it to the public? why do you advertise? why? why? Many of the people who reply on the threads are most likely 3/4 white and 1/4 indian; or happen to live off the powwow money. their just jealous that Navajos have more creativity with designs, colors and contemporary dance steps. OOhh! I felt the burn on that. Stop hatin on us, hate on your grandparents.
                              Injured,

I have already read those threads. They have been put to rest. I can see why you would feel injured if someone put down your tribe.

I am not one of those people. I sing with several Navajos and count them as my close friends.

I do know that less than 40 years ago, there were no powwows in your area. NO dancers. No singers. No powwows.

THIS IS FACT!

The Navajo, like many, many other tribes and cultures - have adopted the powwow.

Now, there are talented Navajo dancers and drums.

And sooooo????
                              Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM.
                              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Grand Entry

Hell ooo!

the reason why I brought this up was, why tell people your doing this wrong, you are this and that.

When is comes down to it, the ones that complained of others desrespecting the culture. They are the ones that drink, do drugs, cheat on spouses, make fun of people in the circle, gossip while wearing the eagle plums. Trust me I know, I was with a singer from Yellow Spotted Horse.

They have the nerve to tell us we don't respect the culture. Crazy!

Now, Why Do We Have Grand Entries? What is the purpose?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.