Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by injurycase
    Hell ooo!

When is comes down to it, the ones that complained of others desrespecting the culture. They are the ones that drink, do drugs, cheat on spouses, make fun of people in the circle, gossip while wearing the eagle plums. Trust me I know, I was with a singer from Yellow Spotted Horse.

They have the nerve to tell us we don't respect the culture. Crazy!

Now, Why Do We Have Grand Entries? What is the purpose?

Injured.

Why blame everyone for the comments of a few.

Two major reasons for the grand entry:

1. The point system. Grand entry points add to your overall score. By having each division/category parade in one at a time, their numbers can be accountable and categorized into this point system and make this system more effective.

2. Pageantry. Indians and others like a good parade! It is a part of several plains cultures. hence the title "Parade In."

next?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

i don't think we are on the same page

Competition Points? I thought it was a disclosed (somewhat Sacred) Event?

You see, there are still people from the southern plains that work out here and are coordinating Indian Clubs. They even make outfits for theses kids. As these kids grow up they leave the powwow circle and persue sports or rodeo. At some point in their adult life they want to re enter the pow-wow circle. Some are initiated by an elder of the norhtern plains or southern plains.

To some Navajos it might be about the competition.
      I remember when one navajo family that were in the circle for about 3-4 years, they argued with another navajo family that has been in the circle for maybe 10 years. Anyway, the arguement was about designs. It was crazy.

if I like Hummingbirds and pastel colors and decided to put this on my outfit. And if came to me and said that is my design or Family design. I'd tell you "Eat Me!" Why? Because I never seen you or your design. I sat down and drew it up.

Butterflies and flowers are all over the place. and for someone to say that is my design is Stupid!

If they want Navajos to stop being apart of the circle. Then haul your relatives back to where they came from or Hang Them. Because they are here still sharing the culture with the navajos.

Get a restraining order on Navajos to stay away from the circles on your territory. If you want us to completely stop powwows then prosecute them for deformation of charater, etc.
      We all traveled south during the ice age, how is this only your culture? Maybe somewhere along the way people let it drift. Just like the language in some tribes. Navajos in New Mexico say Snow differently from the Arizona Navajos. Stop saying Mine.

This is the end of my arguement. Keep on dancing.

Comment

Competition Points? I thought it was a disclosed (somewhat Sacred) Event?

You see, there are still people from the southern plains that work out here and are coordinating Indian Clubs. They even make outfits for theses kids. As these kids grow up they leave the powwow circle and persue sports or rodeo. At some point in their adult life they want to re enter the pow-wow circle. Some are initiated by an elder of the norhtern plains or southern plains.

To some Navajos it might be about the competition.
        I remember when one navajo family that were in the circle for about 3-4 years, they argued with another navajo family that has been in the circle for maybe 10 years. Anyway, the arguement was about designs. It was crazy.

if I like Hummingbirds and pastel colors and decided to put this on my outfit. And if came to me and said that is my design or Family design. I'd tell you "Eat Me!" Why? Because I never seen you or your design. I sat down and drew it up.

Butterflies and flowers are all over the place. and for someone to say that is my design is Stupid!

If they want Navajos to stop being apart of the circle. Then haul your relatives back to where they came from or Hang Them. Because they are here still sharing the culture with the navajos.

Get a restraining order on Navajos to stay away from the circles on your territory. If you want us to completely stop powwows then prosecute them for deformation of charater, etc.
        We all traveled south during the ice age, how is this only your culture? Maybe somewhere along the way people let it drift. Just like the language in some tribes. Navajos in New Mexico say Snow differently from the Arizona Navajos. Stop saying Mine.

This is the end of my arguement. Keep on dancing.

Injured,

Maybe your people believe that they travelled across during the ice age, but my people believe we were created here!

I don't think everything in powwows is sacred. And I certainly don't think powwows are a "sacred event."

I have immediate relatives from both the northern and southern plains. None of them live on your reservation and give your people "hell." *L

I have never heard your people argue about hummingbird designs *L and believe me, I have been around a lot of Navajos! *L

Heck, I am even starring in Kevin Costner's next Indian epic,

"Dances with Navajos!!!"
        Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Wake Up

That (hummingbird) was an example. L! I!

Comment

That (hummingbird) was an example. L! I!

Injured,

You were stating that all of us hated the Navajo, as a general statement.

You're wrong.

Wake up!

Comment

Yea Yea

You don't need to hide it. Your only say that because your navajo frens know who is behing WhoMe. Deep down you are hiding it. I felt and heard it as we connected on the web. L!

J/K! I just have a hard time understanding why these people say these things. The ones that feel this way are the ones that are disrespectful or don't know their own language and history.

Keep in Touch - and keep a look out for the haters. Listen to what words come out of their mouth and later you see them doing what they critized. Funny!

Comment

Your only say that because your navajo frens know who is behing WhoMe. Deep down you are hiding it. I felt and heard it as we connected on the web. L!

... Funny!

Hey come look for me during The Gathering. I will be at Grahams on Thursday night, before the powwow.

You're right. I'll be hiding in the middle of a bunch of "purdy JohnDine' gurs'!"

Comment

No

You hang out there! Gross!
                  The one next to you might be John Yazzie. Purdy! LMAO!

Comment

The one next to you might be John Yazzie. . .

Or... Don't Begay (son of GoAhead Begay from Brokeback Mountain chapter house) *L
                    Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Grand Entry

You can hold hands during the first Grand Entry @ GON. How many points is that? Aeeeeeeeeh!

Don't say mine, if 50Cal or injunboy start to flirt with your partner. L! Crazy!

Comment

You can hold hands during the first Grand Entry @ GON. How many points is that? Aeeeeeeeeh!

Don't say mine, if 50Cal or injunboy start to flirt with your partner. L! Crazy!

This would be funny . . . .

if it wasn't coming from the Navajo Two-Spirits President.

Comment

Ahhh!

Just because my gender is disclosed?! Dang! Make sure you have a Designated Driver, New Mexico don't joke about DWI.
                          You might be writing to us through; worldwidefriends.org
                          Telling us your someones b!t(h, just because you drop the soap in the showers. Aye!
                          Then you'll be President. L!

Comment

Telling us your someones b!t(h, just because you drop the soap in the showers. Aye!
                            Then you'll be President. L!

Injured,

OUCH!

NO Thanks!

If that's what you had to do to become president,

"you can stay the president."

___

Back to Grand Entries?

Comment

MERCY!!!
                              Big Pauly, Anishinaabe Ogitchidaa Aanikoominodewiwin

Comment

Maybe there should be one Grand Entry to start the entire powwow, and then just call all dancers and singer when everyone is ready...and why can't we have dancing before noon or 11am? If, like a alot of contest powwows, the Jr and Teens contest during the day, it would be easier on them to contest in the earlier hours rather than the hottest time of day...just a wonder....

At our traditional powwows here, people just come in the morning, mill around and visit and eat, and when a drum group gets set up, they start to sing, and dancers start to dance.....sounds like a good idea to me...
                                Ipsica Waci
                                Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.