Let's Talk GRAND ENTRYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
    I remember the "parade in" at Ponca in the 50's. The drum was already in the center but the dancers had an entry where the veteran's groups were ID'd by the announcers (Dana Knight and Logan Deloge). There were many women's groups at that time, especially war mothers, many of whom had their shawls with club insignias. After parade in, the round dances started, and the women dominated. Many of the women had beaded high heeled shoes. The parade in was more tribal specific at that time, although dancers from other tribes were present at the powwow, of course.

The later, larger grand entries grew because of the point system.

Gledanh,

I wonder if dancer participation would have a drastic reduction if points were not given in grand entries.

Oh, I already know the answer. It is yes. I have been to a few powwows where there is only social dancing on Friday nights and no points are awarded. Not too many dancers show up.

Then the following day when the point system starts on Saturday, people line up for the grand entry, who weren't there the night before!
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• Here's a skewed and somewhat unorthdox approach......inform dancers that the committee reserves the right to award points at anytime throughout the pow-wow, then advertise Friday night as "social dancing"-----and award points to the die-hards and pleasure dancers who show up Friday night.
      "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Furiously-Fancy View Post
        Here's a skewed and somewhat unorthdox approach......inform dancers that the committee reserves the right to award points at anytime throughout the pow-wow, then advertise Friday night as "social dancing"-----and award points to the die-hards and pleasure dancers who show up Friday night.
        hmm...but even at trad powows where there are no points & competition going on there are alot less people on fridays, probably due to travel times & work scheduals etc. for example up until this year my husband worked nights so we would leave when he got off work Satuday morning between 5 & 7 am, he'd sleep once we got there & get up a bit latter to watch the kids & I dance....you never know why someone shows up on friday or saturday unless you ask...just a thought
        Suzze
        Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 04-10-2007, 01:56 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• The 'Grand Entry' has always been there. What's now known as the grasser, were the 1st to line up and lay'em down so that all could enter & dance. Then the Master of Ceremony or back den, da Chief would announce why we're celebrating & how the events/ceremonies would take place, you know, rights to ____, naming, giveaways & competing etc.

It should stay because it's respectful, shows who's there to celebrate and/or compete and is a sight to see as well as hear all the drums 1st song, so the spectators & judges 'sees & hears' who's all in the arena.
          Dance harder.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.