X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden Age?

Comment

Lumbee Pow-wow Events

No Golden Age at this time. Sally---there is a Straight Dance Comp.---My Bad! :)

For a pow-wow flier please visit:

www.lumbeetribe.com
      Eye7 Consulting

Comment

I said this so many times. Southeast powwows look at the golden agers much differently than the rest of the country. I never have to ask any other committee members in other areas if they have golden age. It is a given.

I am in no way disrespecting your organization or yourself. I have met you and are a very respectful young lady. Good luck with your event.

Comment

Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose
          . . . I'm There!!!!!
          Originally posted by Jibby™
          Hey girl .. if I fly to DC, can you give me a lift to this here powwow? (that is of course if you are still going) email me ..
          __

uh ohhhhhh...

Bux and Jibby™ are comin' to Pembroke together????

"Someone call SECURITY!!!"
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
            I said this so many times. Southeast powwows look at the golden agers much differently than the rest of the country. I never have to ask any other committee members in other areas if they have golden age. It is a given.

I am in no way disrespecting your organization or yourself. I have met you and are a very respectful young lady. Good luck with your event.

I'm sure the powwow will be wonderful...but kiwehnzii, remember that particularly in our part of the Southeast, powwow is a relatively recent occurence so the number of golden agers dancing has been limited...just a suggestion as to why you might not find so many golden age categories... its not that we treat those who are old enough to be golden agers different..its just that there typically aren't golden agers dancing...

now what comes first the chicken or the egg...(i.e the competion or the dancers) is a whole other question...

Comment

to be or not to be...

In lumbee land that is, during the powwow....hmm..

My mama is gonna kill me if I miss mother's day....but I have finals...on the otherhand....

Youngbird at Da' house....oh no..that spells nothing but trouble....hahah..

We shall see...we shall see...

Finals, Home, finals, home...anybody out there got the answer to this question???/??/

Comment

How do I get to the powwow from Raleigh-Durham Airport?

How long is the drive?
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

The drive is a little over an hour (depending on traffic & how fast you drive) from Raleigh. You might plan on closer to 2hrs to get out of the airport.

Take I-40 East to I-95 South and just keep driving. Take exit 17 (there will be a sign for Pembroke / UNC Pembroke / Hwy 711). Take Hwy 711 west into Pembroke. Go straight through town, at the 5th stoplight turn right. Turn left onto Recreation Road and you will see the NC Indian Cultural Center entrance on the right, and there you are.

If you fly into the airport in Fayetteville it cuts the drive down to about 45min. Just a thought though.

We are really getting excited about powwow. Hope we have a good turn out.
                  Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                    __

uh ohhhhhh...

Bux and Jibby™ are comin' to Pembroke together????

"Someone call SECURITY!!!"
                    Hell - you know it will be on....

Everyone around here is getting excited - can't wait to see everyone -- again.....

Are all the vendor spots filled up yet? I have a cousin that was considering coming - lemme know...call me....
                    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Thinking hard about this one.
                      blah blah blah....

Comment

i'll be there

i'm def gonna be at this one. it's my hometown powwow and i'm not gonna miss it. everyone come out. the powwow committee has been working really hard on this and finally after so many long awaited years it's gonna be back at the nc indian cultural center. i remember when it was held here back when i was a youngster and there would be a full house of people from all over. hopefully it'll be just like old times. ivypi i feel your pain cause i'm in finals too. i talked one of my professors into moving one of my exams cause of the powwow. hope to see everyone there.
                        "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Comment

I don't understand

Okay I noticed @ two powwows now "Tobacco Free" and "S.W.A.T." (Saponi Warriors Against Tobacco). Do ppl understand what the meaning of tobacco is for us and what is was used for? (sarcasticly speaking) I don't get it. If you mean cigarettes and cigars...then say cigarettes and cigars. Saying "tobacco free" isn't right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby™
                            Hey girl .. if I fly to DC, can you give me a lift to this here powwow? (that is of course if you are still going) email me ..
                            Uh oh! I gotta go to this one....lol It's looking good but I'm not 100% sure yet. Haven't seen you in awhile Jibby! Since what? Toronto? If I make it we'll have to hang out for old times sake!...lol Hopefully I'll make it...wish me luck!

Comment

Tobacco Free Event

Hi Taani,

Thanks for your input in reference to Tobacco Free Pow-wows/ Events. You are correct about the relationship between tobacco and our families -- We honor the healing and traditional purposes of tobacco, but we do not honor commercial use. During the pow-wow our Lumbee Teen Tobacco Advocates will demonstrate the topical healing purposes of tobacco among our people. Tours will be offered for students & adults all 3 days.
                              I recognize your concern and understand that the use of "Tobacco Free" means just that. I am funded by a grant that requires me as a coordinator to use the phrase "Tobacco Free".
                              Signage will be placed around the drum arbor to allow the use of TRADITIONAL TOBACCO but prohibit commerical use.
                              The truth is I can't stop anyone from smoking or chewing but it would be nice to honor the request of our young people....

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope to see you all at the pow-wow.

For more information on Lumbee Tobacco Cessation:
                              http://www.lumbeetribe.com/tobacco/index.htm

NC Tobacco Grant:
                              www.realityunfiltered.com

Aboriginal Tobacco Site:
                              http://www.ayn.ca/quit/en/home.asp
                              Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by taani
                                Okay I noticed @ two powwows now "Tobacco Free" and "S.W.A.T." (Saponi Warriors Against Tobacco). Do ppl understand what the meaning of tobacco is for us and what is was used for? (sarcasticly speaking) I don't get it. If you mean cigarettes and cigars...then say cigarettes and cigars. Saying "tobacco free" isn't right.

when i saw "tobacco free"..i automatically understood the cigarette/chewing/cigar type...i think most people get it...kudos to u guys for promoting a healthy lifestyle...
                                "would u like to lick the frybread greaze off of my lippz??"

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X