Lumbee Spring Pow-wow, May 6-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Careful

Just want to wish all a safe trip.... I'm leaving from work in about 2 hours....
    Word to wise... If you are traveling south on 95 to get to the powwow... you might want to leave a little earlier... Road construction in NC around St. Pauls is going to have a major delay... usually about an hour backup.... especially on Friday....

All be safe and have a great trip.
    Ancial
    StoneyCreekSingers.com

Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Nish
      Hey... whats the Old School Phrase contest??

i think it's old phrases & words (that are still around:)) you hear among our lumbee people - some of that country grammar, so to speak.... that should be one hilarious & entertaining contest!!!!!
      No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hey, if anyone videos I will pay you for a copy of this weekend!

Everybody have fun - I wish I could be there but I am just too broke!!!
        Becky B.

Comment

Originally posted by geronimo
          i think it's old phrases & words (that are still around:)) you hear among our lumbee people - some of that country grammar, so to speak.... that should be one hilarious & entertaining contest!!!!!
          Are you talking about words like 'everythink' and Wal-Mark'!!!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

"cuz pure arnt mommicked up that room, the little aggravatin' yurker" .................. (translation - that crazy child, he made a mess in that room)

hey, can i enter the contest?
            Last edited by geronimo; 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM. Reason: old school phrase contest

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
              Are you talking about words like 'everythink' and Wal-Mark'!!!!!

there you go..........looks like you've gotten a taste of our "dialect" :)

Comment

Originally posted by geronimo
                there you go..........looks like you've gotten a taste of our "dialect" :)
                Used to hang around with a beautiful woman up there named 'Adora ClarK'!

JD

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Please take lots of pics and send them to me!! I'm sorry to be missing it. Congrats Chris on graduation!!!!! *hugs* Hope you all have a good time out there. How come SS isn't contesting??
                  Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

Oh My Gosh!!!! I have had so much fun today it is immeasurable!!!! (is that a word??? ) The Lumbees have so far succeeded in having a great awesome incredible pow-wow - hats off - and it is only Sat. night!!!

These are the drums that are kicking it:

Youngbird (host)
                    Pipestone(host)
                    Stoney Creek
                    Red Earth
                    Medicine Tail
                    Eastern Bull
                    Kau-ta-noh, Jrs.
                    Southern Suns
                    Southern Eagle
                    Black Bear

I think that is all that are there....hey - wasn't there supposed to be a hand drum contest tonight - maybe tomorrow....

The specials have been off the hook - great dancing - great singing - the MC is doing a great job too....

I will let others tell you all more - we did take a group picture earlier - it has been a blast....

Thanks to DarkWaterLum for the fine invitation at dinner break - it was very appreciated...

Happy Mother's Day to all and we'll have more to tell tomorrow....love.
                    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Hey JD, Mrs. Adora passed way probably 10 years ago, I am not good w/time estimates but I know it was way before my dad and that has been almost 5 years.

I am so glad everyone is having fun - hey Ace (and anyone else out there) - go up to the man that is on Aprils Tobacco Committe named Leary "Lib" Chavis and tell him you are one of my frens. He is my mom's brother and has been to h*ll and back this year because of cancer and is now an advocate for not smoking.

Have the best time and hugs to all!!!
                      Becky B.

Comment

Originally posted by NDNQt
                        Hey JD, Mrs. Adora passed way probably 10 years ago, I am not good w/time estimates but I know it was way before my dad and that has been almost 5 years.
                        Yeah, I know. I was still around then. Beautiful woman. Did a good job with her kids too!

JD

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Powwow Results

I know I am going to catch a lot of crap for this one, but here goes anyway...There are a lot of good powwows here in NC, and a lot of people get catch good feelings when they go to them, but it gets a little aggravating when the same people win over and over again. Not to say that they aren't amazing dancers, because most of them are...but, what is the point of saying over the loudspeaker that you are going to do spot checks, and that dancers who don't dance inter-tribals won't place when it obviously doesn't matter? There were several dancers that showed up on Saturday and only danced the grand entries and the competition songs this weekend and placed. Now, I am not a dancer, never was, never will be, and I give major props to all of y'all who get out there and shake your stuff. I have never judged either, but I can pick the winners at just about every powwow in NC and VA without ever watching a single dance just by looking at who showed up. Seriously, there were people that only danced three or four songs all weekend, and they got undressed in between grand entry and their competition song. Similar things happened at the Hollister powwow last month and happen all the time at other powwows. I guess it just kind of sucks that the people who come out and dance their hearts out because they genuinely love it lose out to the folks that only want to make a couple hundred bucks. This is supposed to be a fub time when everyone gets to reconnect with friends and family, but all of this obviously biased judging creates a lot of negativity.
                          Like I said, I know I am going to catch crap for saying this out loud, but I am far from the only one that notices these things.

Comment

Hey,

ncndn, I understand your frustration. Yes, that is a problem that I have seen across the states and try as committees might, it is hard to stop. However at our powwow here in Hollister, one of the number takers was walking around with her clipboard taking numbers. You should have seen "Mr. and Mrs. Powwow" jumping up to get to out there. Then had the nerve to worry the number taker, verifying that they were out there dancing a full 30 seconds out of a 5 minute song.
                            "I am not a superhero; just one of the few working hard and long for the survival of my PEOPLE."

Comment

"Mr. and Mrs. Powwow" could be one of several couples, but I think I know who you are talking about...Like I said, a lot of people notice this stuff and it clearly causes resentment.

Comment

well my people, my people

I have heard many good things about the powwow this weekend...

#1: I was really missed...hhahah

Just kidding...

Shouts out to the powwow committee and specifically the nation in general!!! I hear we offered a very welcoming community feeling...If only I had made it...but after a week from today I will be missing no more of our community events if I can help it....

Here Here to the Lumbee Nation on quite an event...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X