No announcement yet.

Lumbee Spring Pow-wow, May 6-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushy Braids .... Sorry you had a rough time too, but it goods to know it was not just me ...for a sec I thought I was over reacting (LOL). Overall it was good pow-wow. Have a good day!!!
    Jingledressw

Comment

• OMG... i must say i had a great time... It really felt good to go back home for a change... and to a great powwow at that. Got to see some folks i haven't seen in some time... Good job on the powwow guys and looking forward to it next year... at the SAME place...ehhe
      Ancial
      StoneyCreekSingers.com

Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.

Comment

• I forgot to throw this in yesterday, but it was so good to see so many people that have been out of the circle for so long come back to dance with us this weekend (ex: Paul, Alex, and anyone else that I am over looking). Being back at the cultural center took me back to when I was younger, living in MD, coming down to the Lumbee powwow. The excitement that surrounded the arena was the same for me this weekend as it was 15 yrs ago.

Really enjoyed the drums that came to visit with us and was blown away with the women back-up singers from Youngbird. The hair on my arms were standing up lisiting to the backup singing specail. That Sunny Yellow Rose (WOW). What can you say...she's a beautiful lady with a beautiful spirit and an awesome voice. Loved watching her dance too! Pipestone's lady singer was amazing....ALL BY HERSELF...... she was barely opening her mouth at all! Of course, Stoney Creek was rocking as always with Melissa and Donna behind them. Way to go guys!!!!! Red Earth Singers are an inspiration to me (reminds me of the Creek, in there younger days) Medicine Tail, KTN Jrs, Black Bear, and Bostic's group all were on cue!!! Gots ta give the shout-out to me crew Southern Sun for a job well done and great singing!!!

Always good to see the elders who have watched me grow up and helped me along the way out there dancing.. (Mr. Don Nechonie, Ron and Judy Gibson, Georgie Sparks)

IT was an awesome powwow - good feeling, AWESOME DANCING AND SINGING, great socializing!!!! Just woderful - I'm still feeling the effects from it (and also the sun burn-hehehehe)

Comment

• Originally posted by grneyendn
          Just woderful - I'm still feeling the effects from it (and also the sun burn-hehehehe)
          hahaha.. i think we all are! the weather was gorgeous though - i'm not complaining!
          i had a great time and the folks made us feel right at home and took good care of us - gotta lubb the nc folks, they're such good peoples and very hospitable (sp?)
          thanks whome for the awesome mc'in'... i learned a lot about each style - i'm sure that's all a part of the "origins & evolutions" - two thumbs up! btw - your wife is such a sweet lady!
          great job to the folks behind the scenes - kept things movin' and did good. i'm lookin' forward to that switch dance next time though ;)
          "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

• This was one powwow I will never forget. . . .

The Lumbee people are "THE MOST FRIENDLIEST" people I have ever met in powwow country! I can't believe how many people came up and introduced theirselves and extended their hands in friendship! "The hospitality was off the wall!"

For anybody who reads this and did not attend, this is the powwow that I would personally recommend for out-of-state visitors!!!!!!

I especially want to give a shoutout to April Wittemore for the special invitation and Leon Jacobs for your friendship and getting me a room at the Hilton in Wilmington! Yesterday at this time I was eating a Lobster Brunch on sunny Wrightsville Beach while watching the dolphin, surfers and sunbathers!!!

I appreciate both Smokin' Ace and DarkWaterLum for feeding me and my wife. You both are special people and your hospitality is appreciated.

There were so many specials! A lot of people were able to take extra money home! The Lumbee sayin' contest was really fun to watch and listen to. "WhoMe, Who's your family??" *LOL
            __

Judging by the number of posts in this thread, there are so many powwows.com members who attended this powwow! It was great to see:

Paul G
            Smokin'Ace
            Buckskin Pantyhose
            Bushy Braids
            Fancy Fingers
            Lumbee Pride
            FlyByNyte
            DarkWaterLum
            grneyendn
            Miss Nish
            and I think Tigerlily (if you were at breakfast at Smokin' Aces?)

__

Yes this was their 1st annual powwow. There were several things that can and will be improved next year. However, the spirit and genuine positive enthusiasm overshadowed any and all shortcomings that occurred.

__

Since the point system first appeared at United Tribes in Bismarck, there have been flaws. However, to date, it is the most popular and used system of powwow judging to date.

If a dancer does not make grand entry, does not get points in any participation dance but makes all first place votes in his/her dance contest. . . they ARE going to win.

Until a better system of tabulation is invented we will continue to have objective criticism of this current point system.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• [QUOTE=WhoMe]This was one powwow I will never forget. . . .

The Lumbee people are "THE MOST FRIENDLIEST" people I have ever met in powwow country! I can't believe how many people came up and introduced theirselves and extended their hands in friendship! "The hospitality was off the wall!"

For anybody who reads this and did not attend, this is the powwow that I would personally recommend for out-of-state visitors!!!!!!

I especially want to give a shoutout to April Wittemore for the special invitation and Leon Jacobs for your friendship and getting me a room at the Hilton in Wilmington! Yesterday at this time I was eating a Lobster Brunch on sunny Wrightsville Beach while watching the dolphin, surfers and sunbathers!!!

I appreciate both Smokin' Ace and DarkWaterLum for feeding me and my wife. You both are special people and your hospitality is appreciated.

There were so many specials! A lot of people were able to take extra money home! The Lumbee sayin' contest was really fun to watch and listen to. "WhoMe, Who's your family??" *LOL
              __

Judging by the number of posts in this thread, there are so many powwows.com members who attended this powwow! It was great to see:

Paul G
              Smokin'Ace
              Buckskin Pantyhose
              Bushy Braids
              Fancy Fingers
              Lumbee Pride
              FlyByNyte
              DarkWaterLum
              grneyendn
              Miss Nish
              and I think Tigerlily (if you were at breakfast at Smokin' Aces?)

__

QUOTE]

The pleasure was all mine love, and the invitation is already set for next year....and that was Dawning that was at breakfast...but Tigerlily was at the pow-wow. ;)
              Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokin' Ace

I loved hearing the drums - Stoney Creek - you rocked the house, Kau-ta-noh, Jrs., you could feel the energy from your drum, Pipestone - your back up singer is ACE - she is so on point. To Red Earth singers - know this - you competed and got heard this past weekend with some of the best of the best and you hung in there - you guys are very impressive and I am so proud of you - keep it up. Medicine Tail - rocking - and that gentleman that won the Sneak Up - I loved watching you dance. Good movement.

Thanks a bunch!!! Man my legs were killin me after all those sneak-ups!!! lolol. As they say though- no pain-no gain.

Every year, I try to take my drum group farther and farther each year. Some are memorable, and some are not. This one, however, was one of the best so far. The powwow committe did a great job. They even got us a canopy to sing under instead of roasting our azzes off. To my bros from Stoney Creek- I told ya we would make it up there and we did. Much love to u guys and contgrats on your victory! To the Ka-to-nohs Jrs.- It was an honor to set up next to you guys, been listening to my tape and jammin to your songs- and thanks for the drum mat. we will definitely put it to good use. All you guys are dope singers...I shed a tear during your hand drum song aye!!!! All of the powwow staff deserves a round of applause for the dedication and time you put into this great dance. April- your mom said she's cookin for all of us next year...I hope she knows what shes gettin into lolol. To all of the Lumbee people who gave me dancing props, and my drum group singing props- I say thank you. Your encouragement was overwhelming throughout the weekend. We all are greatly appreciative. To the rest of Medicine Tail- you guys n gals made me proud to be lead singer, You all did a great job, and congrats on 4th place.

I dont know whats in the water there but all i got to say is - lumbee girls, lumbee girls, lumbee girls, lumbee girls, o how I love those lumbee girls HEY CHA!!!!!
                www.myspace.com/powwowlicious

Comment

• how could i forget....?

shouts to queseimc & dj shock b for tearin' up the afterparty... it was off the hook! these are two are a deadly duo - incredibly talented and are doin' big thangs for the natives in the hip hop scene... much respect!
                  you kno i lubb my hip hop jams... but not as much as the 49 pw jams that ended the party that night! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by bushy_braids
                    shouts to queseimc & dj shock b for tearin' up the afterparty... it was off the hook! these are two are a deadly duo - incredibly talented and are doin' big thangs for the natives in the hip hop scene... much respect!
                    you kno i lubb my hip hop jams... but not as much as the 49 pw jams that ended the party that night! ;)
                    ___

Bushy,

It was great seeing you and Bux again. What happened to you two when we went to "the Mansion" after we left the 49/hip hop soiree'?
                    __

As for the half dressed dancers...

I was told that the people in that part of the country are not used used to a grand entry that starts right-on-time?

__

The straight dancer that won first was Juaquin Hamilton. He also won at the Gathering. Rumor is when he was born . . . his mother said, "Wha? Keeeeen!!!!? That's how he got his name. *LOL

__

The off the wall woman singer with Pipestone was Ah-nung. She is a one-woman show! She was sooooo fun hangin' out with!!

__

The Head Dancers, Tony and Milicent, did an excellent job! They were always on time and STAYED at the arena. They both had a terrific attitude and smiled dispite the hot sun.
                    __

Also props to the arena directors. They were johnny on the spot!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WhoMe
                      ___

Bushy,

It was great seeing you and Bux again. What happened to you two when we went to "the Mansion" after we left the 49/hip hop soiree'?
                      __

The straight dancer that won first was Juaquin Hamilton. He also won at the Gathering. Rumor is when he was born . . . his mother said, "Wha? Keeeeen!!!!? That's how he got his name. *LOL

__
                      i heard so much about the mansion - bummed we missed it!

anyways... heard the joke bout juaquin and couldn't stop crackin' up! he sure is KEEEEEEEEEEN! (i don't say that bout too many suthern folks... hahah - i lubb my northerners) but he could jamm!
                      Last edited by bushy_braids; 05-10-2005, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• I almost forgot...

The History Channel had a crew filming this powwow!

They filmed so close to my face they mighta' gotten a picture of inside my ear!!! *L (I know ... sick huh? ~)

Anyways, I had to sign a release sheet so that the History Channel could accurately portray the inside of my ear.

Does anybody know when this will be aired???

Comment

• We had a great time. I really enjoyed being back out at the Cultural Center. My little one's had a blast. Nakya was asleep before we made it off the grounds and still didn't want to get up at 7:30am Monday morning when I ran him outta bed. Thanks to everyone that helped me keep up with him over the weekend.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Hope you all can make it out again next year. Congratulations to everyone that placed. There was definitely some top notch competition this year.
                          Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

• dang jauquin was tearing it up in Lumbee Land too

Good gracious...if I ever volunteer to leave home for longer than a weekend again...someone slap me...

Comment

• Who's Your People?!?!?!

Okaaay... so I'm still kinda really really really wired from drinking allll those Sobe Energry Drinks to keep awake while driving!!! *L* It's 1:56 am.. and I'm still up. We're finalllllllly back in Canada!!!!

Man oooh Man.... Where do I start??

Gossssh... My family and I always feels so gosh darn welcome when we travel down south. The feast on Saturday was awesome... Food was nice n tasteeey!! Mmm.. that Strawberry cake was sooooo goood!!

Smokin' Ace.. Meegwetc for inviting us for Momma's Day Breakfast!! My Dad looooved the Cheese Rice!! We were driving towards the pow wow and he's all.. "Can we turn around to get sum more?"

We all enjoyed the singing and dancing. WOWERZ... to all the ladies backup singers!!! I got CHILLLLLZZ listening to them!!

Wish they woulda had the Switch Dance!!! I was sooo ready for it! Maybe Next Year!! Job Well Done to the pw committee.

Pipestone and Youngbird.... AWESOME JOB!! Great Singing!!

See YaZ All On Da Pow Wow Trail
                              ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

• You and your fam are so welcome - it was my honor to fix breakfast....that cheese rice was one of my Grandma's best recipes....I was telling WhoMe that with 12 kids, it was probably very economical too....and it is one of my kids favorites - so yeah, totally my honor to have your family for breakfast - you are welcome next year too! I know that WhoMe and Jen already have put in their reservations...

Glad you made it home safe......

Well - my morning break is almost over - peace and we'll see ya all on the trail.....
                                Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X