Washington D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whazz up my people!

iam going to washington, wilth the school feild trip, 25 of us are going, me and my drum group are going too. our group name is singign eagle, were geting there, our voice i mean. we got the beat goind alright but still kinda shacky and all so i'll see you guys up there, a ho.
    whazz up!

Comment

Thing that made me mad about that old timer passing away, was with all the government buildings and National Park officers around, no one had a defibrillator. It only took 20 or 30 minutes for an ambulance too.

Comment

my whole family went except for mee.. they did pretty good selling worldclass beadwork. overall everyone had a good trip. i definiately heard about this afterwards.

well anyways august is a hard month to break into the powwow scene. you have to go big or dont bother soo i guess thats the deal with the head staff and drums. theres alot of nice pw's in august. theres crow fair, shakopee, schmitzun just to mention a few. i think dc is gonna be nice pw to add to the already impressive lineup.
        it would be nice if this turned into some kind of gathering of nations powwow, *i think* and spike draper as head man dancer that should be a nice special sat night..!!
        thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Originally posted by Kakeeya
          Yeah the humidity's pretty bad over there but the powwow will be in the MCI Center, nice and air conditioned

You should go anyway, would be cool to meet you. .
          Yeah it would be cool to meet! We'll see tho. I don't know how busy I will be with work at that time. I'll start getting my feelers out on getting some arrangements lol
          He's the type of rez I like
          ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

Does anybody know if there is any host hotels?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHorseButte
              Thing that made me mad about that old timer passing away, was with all the government buildings and National Park officers around, no one had a defibrillator. It only took 20 or 30 minutes for an ambulance too.
              that shouldnta happened there is a firedepartment/ems station within 5 mins of the mall.
              Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

I think its safe to say that I'll be there. I'd love to dance. Don't know if I will or not.

:Beavis: Are you thretning me! You'll give me pow wow for my...
                To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

DC or bust??

I will be there..... for sure... just need to sneak away.. and this would be a good one to go to...
                  PrincessUSC--Nahkia

Comment

Originally posted by Bauckey
                    Does anybody know if there is any host hotels?
                    No. Theres no host hotels but the Red Roof Inn is close to the MCI (like kitty corner) and has good rates for DC.
                    Last edited by Kakeeya; 03-22-2005, 11:27 AM.

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i can't wait! august is gonna be such a kick azz powwow month.
                      can't wait to host all the kiddies here in dc (again)...
                      dc betta watch out - ndns are gonna take over!

btw, this pw is inside and the committee has learned a lot from the first pw they hosted on the mall. there are lots of improvements - i think the location is prime - can't wait!

oh yea for those making hotel arrangements - it may be a lil' more pricey to stay in DC, so it's also worth checkin' out hotels in alexandria, arlington, rosslyn, & crystal city, va - just across the water (bout a 10-15 min drive - depending on dc traffic!)

by the way... the new "ndn" marriott just opened in dc too - may be a lil' pricey, but it's worth checkin' out... here's the link: http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=WASCP

see ya'll in august!
                      "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

Can't wait am so excited about this one. I'll be traveling back and forth from home (Richmond) for this one. would love to meet some ppl from pw's.com but still have yet to have that happen.

Comment

Some relatives will be heading down... Yay!.. I think we'll be there.

Hey Bushy... If we can't find a room.. can we pitch our tent up in ur back yard??? or front lawn??
                          ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

Hopefully I can answer some questions and add some helpful information.
                            __

Fancy Fingers,

There is covered parking across the street south of the MCI Center.
                            __

Injunboy,

August IS a tough time to break into the powwow circuit. Hopefully the integrity of Smithsonian will assure that the prize money is there and that Indian people will be treated with dignity by the powwow committee during their stay in Washington D.C.
                            __

Baukey,

There are no host hotels because the NMAI is a Smithsonian Institution. Strict guidelines prohibit a hotel or other business to be designated as a "host' unless the franchise donates $$$xxxxx to have their name associated with a Smithsonian sponsored event.

Bushy Braids has a good grasp of local hotels and has made suggestions of hotels in the area. *Please note that there are many events that take place in Washington D.C. and August is tourist season so PLEASE plan to make you hotel reservations - the sooner the better.
                            __

There are some components to the powwow that are either still being worked out or have not yet been published:

1. - Admission. There is discounted admission to all powwow participants and veterans. A special gate on the east side of the MCI Center has been designated for those who qualify for the discount admission.

2. - Food. There will be food sold in the MCI Center. There are also fast food restaurants located on the premises. There are also several restaurants in walking distance. Washington D.C's. China Town is located on the north side of the MCI Center.

3. - Powwow Symposium. The theme of this year's NMAI National Powwow is "Origins of the Powwow." On Wednesday and Thursday preceding the powwow, speakers will be brought in from throughout North America to discuss the origins of the powwow, it's dances, songs and traditions. Each of the head staff is also invited to speak on either a tradition of their region, the head staff position that they are filling or do a demonstration/presentation.

Your's Truly will be serving as the monitor/facilitor of each of the panels.

We are currently looking for sponsors to sponsor special contests and presentations for both the powwow and powwow symposium.
                            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

That was horrible about that man - when that happened we were headed to McD's to get the guys something to eat and the ambulance couldn't get through because of the way everybody had to park. It was just soo congested! Kudos to the NMAI for having it at the MCI Center - that should be awesome.

Ahh, air conditioning!!!!!
                              Becky B.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe

2. - Food. There will be food sold in the MCI Center. There are also fast food restaurants located on the premises. There are also several restaurants in walking distance. Washington D.C's. China Town is located on the north side of the MCI Center.[/B]
                                considering it is chinatown, i still haven't figured out how to read all the chinese signs - not to mention the menu in mcd's... haha, jks
                                there are TONS of chinese restaurants around that serve up tasty cat entrees... hehee, jks - but there are some yummy spots worth checkin' out
                                there's also tons of other restaurants like ruby tuesdays, fuddruckers, california tortilla, mc d's, and lots of other lil' restaurants of any and all kinds of tastes around mci
                                also - club home that hosted the 49 during the opening is just a block away from the mci center - so keep it in mind, i'm sure there will be another '9 @ the club

and miss nish... your reservations are confirmed
                                "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.