Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss_Nish
    replied
    Sooo.. I'm a lil' late on posting about DC!! Sawwy...

DC Pow wow was sweeeeet!! Sissy, Cuz Faith and I had such a great time there. Lotsa gooooood dancers and great singing allll weekend. Congrats to Baby Faith for takin' 1st in her category! Yay...

Stoney Creek.... Sissy Kim luffs singin' with "yawl".. Melissa n Dawning... Ya know Kim looks up to ya ladiez!! Keep up tha beautiful singin'!!!

Gawsh.... O*E* sisters... ya'll make the bestest damn parties effer!! Music was awesome, too!! So what if the plug was unplugged a couple of times.. lol.. Everyone juss started dancing again!!! DJ was aiiiiiiight!! Ummm... I'm juss glad my "Canadian" ID got me in!! Bouncers were all.. "What do I do with this?!?!?" I was ready tho.. I had my status card, drivers license, school ID, medical card.. u name I had it.. jkz... BUT anywayz.... I got a couple dance lessons while I was there.. SO.. I'll be ready for yo next par-tay!! *big hugs to Bux and bushy* See ya smilin' crow sistas at the next pow wow!!!

Leave a comment:

• Blue Devils Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokin' Ace
    Yellowhammer
    Midnight Express
    Black Bear
    Southern Suns
    Dem Boys
    Cedar Tree
    Little Otter
    Kau-ta-noh, Jrs.
    Black Horse Butte
    Stoney Creek

Who am I missing?

I think the full list is....

Hosts: Yellowhammer, Bear Creek, Midnite Express

Northern: KTN Jrs. (3d place-ORG), Little Otter (1st- ORG), Little Eagle (2d-ORG ???), White Oak (4th- ORG ???), Blackhorse Butte (did not compete), Stoney Creek (1st -Contemp)

Southern: Thunder Bear (4th place), Black Bear (3d place), Southern Sun (2d place), Them Guys (1st place), Cedartree (did not compete)

Did I miss anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by Feeling Lovely
    I really enjoyed the powwow, I just wish the atmosphere would have been different.

We rocked the floors at the nine, good job OT! Who were the asshole flakes at the front door of the TOM???? THANK YOU STONEY CREEK for singing at the 49, remember you have to always represent!!!!

Thanks Ace on the Southern Sun's ladies props!You are always the best cheerleader for your peep's!!! It was good seeing you as always.....I love your hugs!!!! I liked the UNC-P joints....We couldn't be repesented/supported by any one sweeter! Remember WE LOVE YOU GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You bet Bess - you know I have a special place in my heart for back up singers....lulululululululu....

And yeah, I lost my voice....when I went to get my kids, they were like, how come you lost your voice...I told them I sang....they were like with who?? I tried to explain that it wasn't quite at the pow-wow! Still pow-wow singing tho, right?? Am I right??? Can I get a witness???

Paul - you truly outdid yourself - proud to know ya boss....

WhoMe and Jenn - man - nothing like those community commodities....ayeeee.....thanks for the love!!!

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ace
    replied
    Yellowhammer
    Midnight Express
    Black Bear
    Southern Suns
    Dem Boys
    Cedar Tree
    Little Otter
    Kau-ta-noh, Jrs.
    Black Horse Butte
    Stoney Creek

Who am I missing?

Leave a comment:

• Grizzly
    replied
    ~Washington D.C. Pow Wow~

Originally posted by blackraven26b
    what were the winners for the drum comp

Yea, and what other drums showed?? FlyByNyte did you make it with your boyz??

Leave a comment:

• blackraven26b
    replied
    what were the winners for the drum comp

Leave a comment:

• Takin' Numbers
    replied
    I was blind....lalalalalala

.....but now I see.....

Ewwwwwwwwww weeeeeeeeeee!!

Bowing to the greatness of the Ace! You kill me!

TN

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ace
    replied
    My Natives - my Natives - my Natives.....ya'll about to make this Ace cry....

I needed this weekend - it was awesome....but I didn't realize how blind I was until I picked up my new set of glasses this afternoon....yowza....some of the folks on the other side of the arena had to be straight trippin boo - I know they musta thought I was stalking them - but I straight up could not see them.... I finally got my cousin Senora's video cam that had a zoom lense, just so I could see which drums were there - Finally found Stoney Creek after looking for a minute and then went out to play...so glad I got to hang with all my peeps.

Frejo - (and Bo will totally get this) - nuttin' but nubb for ya baby!! I finally met Quese - I told him that I heard he was a pimp - I told him that you told me that - he was like - ok.

Takin' Numbers - sista - all I got to say is that when God made you - he sure nuff broke that mold...priceless. Whenever we hang out - that is truly what it is too - priceless. Never a dull moment. EVER!!! I mean - my head is still reeling from all that goes on.

Hey - who was that chick that thought she had menopause at the club and began screaming for water?

I think I got married a few times on Sat night - dang. Divorced them all on Sunday...ayeeeeeee. :)

It was a blast. What was even more humorous was watching people (since I couldn't see them, they walked over to me to be ugly...) really trying to upset me...it was like - wow - that's crazy. You think you exist in my world. How cute.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel totally ACE. And to all my dancing friends - don't know ya name - but call me...

Jibby - baby - everyday in my world is a good day to be NDN. Love to you all....this...is truly what family is all about. I already am related to all of Hollister....my extended family so rocks....love

Leave a comment:

• SheTurtle
    replied
    National Pow Wow

*side note: what was up with that cat with the mumu with pop cans attached?*
    That was Princess Wannabee!!!! (S)he had a giveaway for the kids Sunday morning. I didn't get the gist of that until sometime Saturday afternoon.

Great Pow Wow! The dancing and singing were fabulous! This was an enormous undertaking for the organizers and participants alike! They did us all proud! The spirit was alive and well in that arena. The photographers were a bit much, though.

I'm one of the "Golden Age" Southern Traditional dancers who participated, but did not compete. It gave me goose bumps to see all these great drums in person and hear them sing and play their hearts out. It made my heart go pitty pat to dance with the likes of Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Rick West and Marty Pinnecoose. The women were beautiful, the men were gorgeous! The Origin Spotlight dances were one of the highlights of the pow wow.

One of my vendor friends got really sick after eating the chicken tenders from one of the Guest Services food vendors Saturday afternoon. He laid down in the back of his booth for a couple of hours and had a rough time going home that evening. He made it back Sunday with a supply of his own food.

I hope to see you all the next time the NMAI has this dance again!

Leave a comment:

• Jibby™
    replied
    Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose
    Jibby, ya crazy ndn gal, i'm happy they let you into the country....a 49 wouldn't be complete w/out'cha!! Thanks for all your support girl, ya know i got nothin but lubb for ya....hope to see you soon!!
    Many thanks mama. You know you always make a Native feel special .. one of your numerous great attributes !! Seeing your father, Anna and yourself out there under the spotlight - doing the double beat as a family really made my heart smile, girl. Just to know that you are a fundamental factor in the sustainability of our traditions.

As mentionned, the spotlight and clarification on origins of particular dances was genious ! I also liked that the MC's kept explaining that what you see today is a manifestation of years of evolution. On the real, to see that kookum out there dancing the original side step made me even more proud to be Anishinabe.

Everyone did such a great job ! The fluidity of this powwow was rare. The exhibitions were remarkable ! Karen was inspirational as always !

Maaaaan ! The amount of non-Natives that turned out was suprising. It was nice to see that they were being informed instead of going away with the misconceptions that they may have had before attending.

IT'S A FABULOUS DAY TO BE NATIVE!

*side note: what was up with that cat with the mumu with pop cans attached?*

Leave a comment:

• kiiyaaniiasdzaa
    replied
    Winners?

Anyone know the winners?

Leave a comment:

• buckskin pantyhose
    replied
    I dont even know where to start or what to say....i guess i should first say THANK YOU!!!! to all of you, all my homies that came out for our 49 party & rocked the house!!! I saw so many good peeps truly enjoyin' themselves.....damn you guys ROCK! Big ups to The Culture Shock Camp Brian "DJ SHOCK B" and QUESE iMC, & their sister HAPPY, i lubb u guys! you really came thru for us this wknd....i'm eternally greatful! Happy is an amazing woman, she carries herself w/such class, you really inspire me girl!! To the Thundercuts Cru...OT "DJ KACHI" and Wayne "DJ WAYNESMOOVE" you guys always throw down the best jam....to you i'm also eternally greatful...a million "A-Ho's" for all your help.....also thanks to everyone that helped us....Anna is the best sister & support system EVER! Sonnyboy you're a rugged *** ndn w/some Keen hook ups...hahaha!!

OH, the POWWOW was pretty damn hype as well! Those spotlight exhibitions featuring our elders & the original dances was spectacular....truly AMAZING! MCI Center was jammin this wknd! I got to dance w/my Hero Jody Gillette...Congrats on 1st, this woman is absolutely adorable.

WhoMe, you're truly one of the GREAT ONES! Jennifer is awesome, she's so encouraging & uplifting...thank you for all of your support & friendship you guys make my heart smile!

Smokin Ace, it's always a pleasure to see you, you bring such a dope vibe...your such a kind hearted, up beat lil' ball of energy...i love that about'cha! Keep smiling!

Jibby, ya crazy ndn gal, i'm happy they let you into the country....a 49 wouldn't be complete w/out'cha!! Thanks for all your support girl, ya know i got nothin but lubb for ya....hope to see you soon!!

Miss Nish, Dawning & Kim, its always good to see you guys, you make me so comfortable during contest, i love it!!

Stoney Creek, i luva luva luva you guys.....your songs are beautiful, always make me jam harder!! Kickin' it w/you is always a damn good time!! Troy, we tried to cave that floor in....but hey what can ya do? we had that joint jammin!!

Midnight, thanks for bustin' out a few 49 jams....you guys are AMAZING! Good to meet'cha!

Singin' Otter, it was nice to meet you...felt so "top secret"...hahahaha!

Paul, thanks for the wonderful pix...i love lookin at your photos you capture the best moments!

Geez, there are so many others i saw that i can't think of but i know we all had a BLAST TOGETHER!!!

Next...we're off to CROW FAIR!!! Can't wait to go home & see my fam, i need some good ol' home lubbin.....see you guys down the trail!!
    Last edited by WhoMe; 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jibby™
    replied
    Originally posted by Takin' Numbers
    Jibby – it was sure fun finally meeting you after all this time reading your crazy, clever posts! Sorry for putting your elbow in my drink all night – hehehe Yea, you reminded me how short I really am…sob! Hope to hang with you again sometime - you are a way super kewl Nishy Chicky!
    TN
    Hey gal !!

I had a blast with you !.. maaaaaaan ! you and Ace were just tearin up the dance floor ! i am sorry my clumsy elbow kept ending up in your drink - I have no clue what my malfunction was haha !

you can blame my height on those shoes I was wearing - they jack me up to 6 feet !

Ace - we really need to hang out more often .. you are such a wonderful person to be around ! And take heed to what TN says - you are simply FABULOUS !!

Leave a comment:

• Takin' Numbers
    replied
    Yay!!!!

Wooooooo weeeeeeee!!! What fantabulous time in DC! Smokey and I had soooo much fun! It was wonderful seeing all you many peeps that I have not in a long, long time! And to those I have seen around but not formally met until this weekend…you all lived up to your reputations, and then some! Hey now….this is a good thing!

Bushy and Buck – you girls are somethin’ special (and I ain’t talking special ed either! Hehehehe)! A+ party planners! Thank you so much - the “9” was an absolute blast! Though I am sure the butt grabbing weirdo was not on the “guest list.” (Smokey, you liked him tho, eh? Hehehehehehe) Anywayz, you are both just the sweetest --- it’s always a pleasure to see you dance too…and warmed my heart being there watch the family honoring on Saturday. That “crow-style” is a beautiful thing!

Jibby – it was sure fun finally meeting you after all this time reading your crazy, clever posts! Sorry for putting your elbow in my drink all night – hehehe Yea, you reminded me how short I really am…sob! Hope to hang with you again sometime - you are a way super kewl Nishy Chicky!

WhoMe – wonderful to meet you and your lovely missus, and look forward to seeing you again soon! (Yay for those Sooner style tailgates!)

QT…congrats again girl, you were radiant in your happiness! That man is a keeper, and I wish a wonderful life for you both all wrapped up in that love stuff!

The Creek Crew – man o’ man….your singing gave me shivers…just awesome! Ya’ll just keep getting’ better every time I hear you!

Crazy “P” (yea…you know who you are)….what can I say, other than…oh geez…you are not right --- but I still luv ya. You make me laugh like no other. “K” and I will have to invest in some Depends for the next time – for us and YOU. Hope you have recovered from the curse of the Szechuan Beef! So nice seeing you and the family again, and so happy everyone is doing much, much better! And NO teaching bad uncle habits to that adorable little niece of yours! K?

Tallinjun and PA Saponi - GREAT seeing you and yours! T - awesome dancing out there too!

Webmaster Extraordinaire – fab meeting you…FINALLY! Thanks again for all you do!

D & S – thanks for saving us from exile in the nosebleed section. Big love to you!

To soooooooo many of my other pals that aren’t mentioned – it filled my heart to greet each and every one of you. Seeing you well, happy and with growing and changing families reminded me how much I have missed all of you – and how I need to make sure that spending time with you all again sooner rather than later should be a priority!

For all of you who couldn’t be there physically, you were spiritually – and in the hearts of family, friends and in some cases, strangers. I can’t even begin to put into words or adequately express how humbling and beautiful the outpouring of love for Daryl, Willow and their families. A sad but important reminder of how we need to cherish each and every moment of our lives and the people we love in them.

Powwow staff – Amen to the other thumbs-up for the old style spotlight dances! WOW! That was the highlight! All in all, I thought this powwow was very well done…and I for one was bowing down to the God of Air Conditioning! I can’t imagine if this had been outside again. UGH! (melt…thud) DC is a tough town for a powwow for many reasons the least of which being expense - and I’m sure more hard work than we can imagine went into making this successful. It was much improved from a couple of years ago, and I can only assume the next time will be even better! I, for one, can’t wait! So props to the whole powwow crew! Despite the few annoyances already mentioned by others - good job!

Finally, to my sister, the Amazing Smokin' Ace, thank you, thank you, thank you….for your friendship, your HUGE heart, your talent and imagination, your humor, and your love for family, your culture…and the world. ….don’t EVER forget how truly special you are to so many people. Don’t ever buy into the jealousy of others that will attempt to make you feel otherwise! You have the class, grace, perseverance and purity of heart that is rare and precious. What you possess cannot be bought or copied by anyone…particularly the unworthy…and YOU are a priceless gift to us all!! I love ya girly, and have got your back whenever, where ever, babe!

Phew…yea….I am done now! Rejoice ye sinners! See yens in Balto!

TN
    Last edited by Takin' Numbers; 08-15-2005, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Emmy
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeEater
    To whoever I danced with at the '49 saturday night, I was following someone's adviced to dance with ugly gals until the fine chicks got jealous and came over. I would just like to say Thank You! ;)

geez...this guy ....lol

it was good to see ya at the powwow...

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.