Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCIAC Columbia SC UNITY PowWow May 22

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone has seen the announcement on the South Carolina Indian Affairs Commission Unity Powwow in Columbia, SC.

This event should be truly spectacular in that they are going to allow us to dance on the Capitol building lawn. Also at 2:00 that afternoon al dancer will gather and have a pride march through downtown Columbia and enter the Capitol Building Lawn for the afternoon Grand Entry.

I encourage everyone to look at the announcement. I am still trying to contact all the drums that have signed up on powwows.com for this event so if you are one of them then just let me know your confirmation.

Let's alll show that Natives are truly Unified peoples. I hope to see all of you there. If you have any questions or need information you can contact me at:

[email protected]

or the program director: Terence Littlewater at:

[email protected]

You can also visit the South Carolina Indian Affairs Commission Website at:

http://www.southcarolinaindianaffairs.com

Food and Drinks will be proivided all day to all dancers, drummers, and vendors. There are no fees. This is a UNITY POWWOW.

Thank you all for reading this and giving us you attention.

Respectfully,

Joe Canty
    Tonsí-Suríré (Gray Wolf)
    Catawba Indian Nation
    Rock Hill, SC
    Last edited by joecanty; 05-06-2005, 11:29 AM.

Unity??

I've voiced my concerns to Chief Hatcher and since you posted here, I'll echo them here.

I don't believe you will ever have true unity in SC until people are held responsible for thier actions!

The Midlands Intertribal Empowerment Group won a settlement against Terrence Littlewater (Alewine) several years ago. She has yet to settle this matter.

And now she is the program director for the "Unity" event!

As a member of the Midlands Intertribal Empowerment Group, I consider this a slap in our face!
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G
      Unity??

I've voiced my concerns to Chief Hatcher and since you posted here, I'll echo them here.

I don't believe you will ever have true unity in SC until people are held responsible for thier actions!

The Midlands Intertribal Empowerment Group won a settlement against Terrence Littlewater (Alewine) several years ago. She has yet to settle this matter.

And now she is the program director for the "Unity" event!

As a member of the Midlands Intertribal Empowerment Group, I consider this a slap in our face!

You know your right! With attitudes like yours there never will be unity among tribes. You don't digrace something because you don't like the person throwing it. One day for Indians to unite is not a lot to ask. Why not leave everything else behind for one "whole" day and just be native together. Or have a lot of people forgotten what it means to "PowWow".

You don't come to a powwow because you like or dislike someone. You don't come for the money or exposure. You come and dance for the feeling that you get when you are inside that circle. You come for the opportunity to be around your own kind.You come to keep you spirit high and you medicine good.

Just think about it. Thank for voicing your opinion though.

Joe
      Last edited by joecanty; 05-06-2005, 11:27 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

You know your right! With attitudes like yours there never will be unity among tribes. You don't digrace something because you don't like the person throwing it.
        I have not disgraced this event in any way. I'm only stating my thoughts about it. The SCIAC has brought enough disgrace to the state by hiring her!

One day for Indians to unite is not a lot to ask. Why not leave everything else behind for one "whole" day and just be native together. Or have a lot of people forgotten what it means to "PowWow".
        Not sure about putting things behind us. NDN's tend to hold on to the past! :)

You don't come to a powwow because you like or dislike someone. You don't come for the money or exposure. You come and dance for the feeling that you get when you are inside that circle. You come for the opportunity to be around your own kind.You come to keep you spirit high and you medicine good.
        Not sure what dances you seen or been too. But people decide where to go for all of those reasons! And there are several dances I don't attend because of certain people! Take a look at this thread for example, it's about one here in SC:

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=25530

And the person putting on the "Unity" event has left quite a wake behind her! Good luck with it!

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I understand to a point where you are coming from. But I believe that when going to a dance you should be able to leave stuff behind for a day. You shouldn't be thinking about how bad someone's medicine is. Do it for all the natives. I understand you are just stating your opinion. I will try to get any powwow going though. It is the feeling that you get when you are around the people that you actually do get along really well with or the new people you meet.

I was at that powwow this year. (the one you referenced.) and I think that was really wrong too but sometimes you have to brush it off and move on to the next one. Dance, Dance, Dance (for you and your own spirits).

I know why a lot of people go to dance. I guess I was just raised differently.
          Last edited by joecanty; 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecanty
            I understand to a point where you are coming from. But I believe that when going to a dance you should be able to leave stuff behind for a day. You shouldn't be thinking about how bad someone's medicine is. Do it for all the natives. I understand you are just stating your opinion. I will try to get any powwow going though. It is the feeling that you get when you are around the people that you actually do get along really well with or the new people you meet.

I was at that powwow this year. (the one you referenced.) and I think that was really wrong too but sometimes you have to brush it off and move on to the next one. Dance, Dance, Dance (for you and your own spirits).

I know why a lot of people go to dance. I guess I was just raised differently.
            We try to make it to as many dances as possible. But my time is too valuable to go to events where I don't feel comfortable! I'd rather find another one to go to or spend the day with my daughter!

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G
              We try to make it to as many dances as possible. But my time is too valuable to go to events where I don't feel comfortable! I'd rather find another one to go to or spend the day with my daughter!
              Iunderstand you can't make it to all. I saw you at Edisto you were the Head Man right?

I guess all have their different opinions about others. I do not know Terence. So I can't say anything bad as of yet unless I had a personal impression. I know you don't agree with her but right now I am helping the SCIAC. It is not a personal favor to anyone.

Just trying to keep things alive and I feel I could be beneficial to this gathering. I think I just talked to you on the phone too. I didn't know this was your site! Cool anyway.

Don't take me as someone is trying to start bad medicine I am opinionated like everyone else here.

Comment

Iunderstand you can't make it to all. I saw you at Edisto you were the Head Man right?

I guess all have their different opinions about others. I do not know Terence. So I can't say anything bad as of yet unless I had a personal impression. I know you don't agree with her but right now I am helping the SCIAC. It is not a personal favor to anyone.

Just trying to keep things alive and I feel I could be beneficial to this gathering. I think I just talked to you on the phone too. I didn't know this was your site! Cool anyway.

Don't take me as someone is trying to start bad medicine I am opinionated like everyone else here.
                No I was not at Edisto.

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I know for myself there are powwows that I quit attending because I either didn't agree with how they were being run or by people in the committee or whatever. Sure even if I can put my "bad feelings" away for a day............ I don't want to go and attend and have others think I am in support of the person running it or the event. Does that make sense to ya? The would see me and say .......ohhhhhh if Mato goes......then it must be ok and I'm not doing that. And just my opinion...........if someone had a settlement won against them..............then something is NOT right. There had to be proof to back up any aligations. ;)
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

You know I must have come into ya'lls area late then. I didn't know about any lawsuit. I am working to help natives in general. Not specific person. Like I said I have never even met this woman.

I guess I have too high of hopes to get everyone to come together. I hope no one thinks I am in the same category atleast. I resp[ect alll dancers and drummer and I have a certain amount of respect for ALL natives. I will dance for native country. I know that people have differences but I do truly believe that if you dance you are not exactly showing support for that person or group. You do it for the traditiona and to pass our culture to whomever may express an interest in it.

We are all native to this land and there should be more reason to dance than just showing support for a group or person or just for money. That is just what I think though.

Comment

Nice thoughts, but I would think that if the SCIAC really wanted to bring people together they would not hire people they know is a sore subject with several groups in the state!

Hard to support an organization that has no regards for other groups!

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

you make a really good point Paul. But, this group may keep her on mainly necause she works hard. Like I said I don't know about anything in the past. I am looking forward right now.

It is understandable if someone doesn't want to come. I am simply expressing my opinions on the as I know you are too. Anyway, I hope to meet with you or anyone at a future powwow. You sound like an intelligent person and you seem like you have good medicine. I really am glad I posted this because I have learned some things I didn't know. But, my path stays true right now. I do this for all natives.

Thank you for your replies.

Comment

you make a really good point Paul. But, this group may keep her on mainly necause she works hard. Like I said I don't know about anything in the past. I am looking forward right now.

It is understandable if someone doesn't want to come. I am simply expressing my opinions on the as I know you are too. Anyway, I hope to meet with you or anyone at a future powwow. You sound like an intelligent person and you seem like you have good medicine. I really am glad I posted this because I have learned some things I didn't know. But, my path stays true right now. I do this for all natives.

Thank you for your replies.
                          Dont' make excuses for them! There are lots of HONEST, hardworking people in South Carolina!

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I know there are lots of more honest people around. I am not making excuses for anyone. I am explaining why I am doing it. I can't change what any organization has done. I just try to get people together to powwow. It is the event that I look forward to. Not the poeple that are there.

I don't understand why you are bringing my reputation down. I am simply trying to bring people together. I haven't done anything to try to insult someone.
                            Last edited by joecanty; 05-06-2005, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X