Question about Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Dancing

My wife is native american, but not full blooded -- one of her grandparents was. My child, niece, and wife dance at powwows. My young daughter wants me to participate as well, but i'm not sure if it's respectful since I'm not native american. A friend who is native american is encouraging me to put together regalia for myself. I don't want to show disrespect, but when your 3 year old is tugging at your shirt... Would it be appropriate to follow my friend's advice? Just interested in some other views. Thanks ahead of time.

If you have the support of your family and friends, then do it. This would be good for you little one to see that you are truely accepting of her mother's and her culture, it will also bring you closer as a family to share this special time dancing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

My best friend has Shawnee (spelling?) blood, and he has been trying to convince me for a few years now, even offered me his bustle. I just don't want to disrepect my wife and daughter's heritage by being in the arbor when I shouldn't. Yet I want to encourage her to be proud of her heritage. I wouldn't be doing this to be "cool", etc. just to enjoy, support, and share this time with my family. Still not sure though.

Comment

Hi
        If you have the family support I would try dancing at intertribals.
        Asema Is Sacred
        Traditional Use, Not Misuse
        Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
        OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Interesting topic.....

I am a 25 year old young man so I got no rite to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I would suggest to put together a dance outfit but think long and hard about wearing eagle feathers. I have been arena director at several pow-wow's where veteran's have got upset about non-native people wearing the feathers. I see people as god's childern and we have no rite to judge one and other but at the same time a veteran has every rite in the world to tell us what to do. I thank you for your respectful consideration on this topic and wish you the best in the future on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by bwop4
            I am a 25 year old young man so I got no rite to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I would suggest to put together a dance outfit but think long and hard about wearing eagle feathers. I have been arena director at several pow-wow's where veteran's have got upset about non-native people wearing the feathers. I see people as god's childern and we have no rite to judge one and other but at the same time a veteran has every rite in the world to tell us what to do. I thank you for your respectful consideration on this topic and wish you the best in the future on this matter.
            I hope that I'm not getting out of hand but describe yourself. Do you have blond or black hair? Are your eyes blue or brown? Is your skin tinted red or tinted pink? May I suggest that you dance only during intertribals. You can easily get by with a pair of beaded mocassins and a ribbon shirt. Don't forget your Levi's, lol. I'd suggest that you do not wear any type of bustle whether it be eagle or turkey feathers.

I may be wrong in asking these questions but sometimes one must see the whole picture.
            Last edited by quicksilverwade; 05-19-2005, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I agree that a ribbon shirt and moccasins would be appropriate, I would also suggest that you talk to some of your local elders and make sure you have their approval. Elders tend to have a lot of pull when it comes down to how an event is run, and who should be allowed to dance, and what goes on.

Comment

gobbles84
                I got a ? for you.
                Where do you live?
                Last edited by White Powwow Dancer; 05-20-2005, 03:14 PM.
                Asema Is Sacred
                Traditional Use, Not Misuse
                Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
                OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Originally posted by White Powwow Dancer
                  gobbles84
                  I got a ? for you.
                  What tribe she belong too?
                  I just wondering. If is a tribe I do not know I will go back on the side here.
                  dont get me wrong but does her tribe really matter? Just curious...
                  ~*iF u dOnT kNo BaBy nOw u kNo.....bOy i KaN dO tHaT*~

Comment

Originally posted by lakota_mami303
                    dont get me wrong but does her tribe really matter? Just curious...
                    Maybe the particular tribe can't be disclosed but maybe he can say if the tribe is Northern Plains, Southern Plains, Eastern Woodlands, Southwestern or one of the California band of Mission Indians.

Comment

You may have scared him away QSW..lol..
                      90% Angel
                      10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

Sorry, been kinda busy last couple days

Wife is potawatomi. one problem is that she remembers her grandmother, but she died when wife was young and no one else in the family cares about their heritage, so they never bothered to listen to what she (grandmother) had to say. Been going to powows for several years now, and wife, daughter, and niece have begun dancing with guidance from the wonderful, caring, and helpful people we have met. Thanks for all the help.
                        I'm thinksing the ribbonshirt and moccassins during intertribals were everybody is welcome to dance would probably be the best way to enjoy this time with my family, while not overstepping my bounds. Don't want to be a native wannabe, just have a good time with family and friends.

Comment

Also if it matters

dark brown hair, brown eyes, winter time white-pinkish skin, summer time been mistaken for hispanic couple times when i lived in FL.
                          Does providing this really help with understanding my question. Live in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by gobbles84
                            dark brown hair, brown eyes, winter time white-pinkish skin, summer time been mistaken for hispanic couple times when i lived in FL.
                            Does providing this really help with understanding my question. Live in PA.
                            So you've got that Cuban look.

Comment

I would like to commend you for respecting our arena and caring enough to ask, being sensitive enough to realize what a touchy subject this is to Native Americans. I agree that intertribals, where the arena is open to all visitors and dancers, would be a great place to start. I know alot of non-natives who were brought into the arena by native american families and carry themselves with respect and therefore honor the families who took them in.
                              On the other hand....I have also seen non-natives push themselves into the arena and wear regalia that makes us say"what the heck are they thinkin'?"LOL
                              so, I would say start with the intertribals and enjoy your family and thank you for showing their culture respect and honor.
                              I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.