Chickahominy Tribal Center

8200 Lott Cary Road

Providence Forge, VA 23140
    Telephone: (804) 966-2448
    Directions: www.chickahominytribe.org or call (804) 829-2027

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    July 1, 2005

NATIVE AMERICANS TO GATHER IN CHARLES CITY, VIRGINIA

Native Americans from Maine to Florida will join the Chickahominy Indian Tribe as they celebrate their 54rd Annual Fall Festival and Pow-Wow; Saturday and Sunday, September 24 and 25, 2005; on the Chickahominy Tribal Grounds in Charles City County, Virginia. Grounds open at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 24, with Grand Entry at 12:00 noon. Sunday hours are 11:00-6:00 p.m., with Grand Entry at 1:00 p.m. The festival/Pow-Wow will feature Native American dancers, drummers, singers and crafters. The longest running traditional Pow-Wow in Virginia, the Chickahominy gathered in 1951 at Samaria Indian School, which is now home to Samaria Baptist Church. The Pow-Wow/Fall Festival later moved to the current tribal grounds.

Keith Wynn, Pow-Wow Coordinator and member of the Chickahominy Tribal Council, believes that the Chickahominy Pow-Wow is an excellent way for the public to share the rich Virginia Indian culture directly with the Indian people. “The 54rd annual Fall Festival and Pow-Wow promises to be an exciting event for all who choose to attend,” comments Wynn. “The Chickahominy Indian Tribe strives to provide a wholesome family environment in which people can learn about the Tribe through song, dance, crafts, lectures and informal conversation.”

All veterans will be honored during the Grand Entry ceremonies each day with special recognition to soldiers currently serving in the Middle East. Native American crafters will have jewelry, pottery, beadwork, leather crafts, and other Native American arts and crafts for sale. Historical and cultural demonstrations, including backwoods survival demonstrations are planned.

Special dance exhibitions will take place at various times each day. Food will be available and will feature Indian Fry Bread/tacos, hamburgers and hot dogs, fish and chips and plenty of cold beverages.

Marvin “Many Horses” Burnette will serve as the Master of Ceremonies for this year’s Gathering. A member of the Oglala Tribe, Lakota Sioux Nation of South Dakota, and career U.S. Army Veteran, Burnette is a favorite at Pow-Wows across the nation, frequently invited to serve as MC or traditional lead male dancer. Honored to serve, Burnette says, “Although all native people have their own tribal traditions, when we approach the circle, we share differences in cultures as we dance as “One People.”

The featured host drum will be Kau-Ta-Noh, Jrs., from Pembroke, North Carolina. Several drums have been invited. Lead male dancer is Keith Anderson, Cherokee/Catawba and Executive Director of the Red Crooked Sky dance troupe. Jessica Canaday, Miss Chickahominy, will serve as the lead female dancer. Jay Hill, Seneca/Objibwa, will be the Arena Director.

The festival is open to the public. No admission is charged; however, donations will be appreciated. Transportation from the parking lot and seating will be available for senior adults and disabled citizens. Tribal officials recommend that attendees bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. Due to health and safety regulations, pets are not permitted on Pow-Wow grounds.

For further information about the 54th annual Pow-Wow/Fall Festival, , including directions to the Chickahominy Tribal Grounds, please visit our website at www.chickahominytribe.org (Events) or call (804) 829-2027 for directions; or (804) 966-2448 for other event information.
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Thanx for the info smokin. Are you comin down?
    90% Angel
    10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

I'll be there

Comment

I consider the Chickahominy family - so yeah, Lord willing and the creek don't rise...woo hoo - I should hopefully be there....

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

KEWL! Maybe I will finally get to meet you! lol... My hubby just had heart surgery so its up to how he is feeling. I do hope he will be feeling well enough for us to go. I havent missed this one yet. Since it is so far away, it seems most likely that he will by then.
          Last edited by ~pathwalker~; 07-06-2005, 10:32 PM.
          90% Angel
          10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

Hey PW, when you come, introduce yourself to me. I'll be drumming with Falling Water and, most likely, be dancing that day if I can get my outfit together in time. Ace, you know it's always good to have you there.
            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

HEY DE,

We should be there.

Can the hubby and I grab a couch, floor, anything available for that weekend? So much to catch up on. Miss you guys. Tell mom and sister I said hello.

K

Comment

I'll be there for sure..haven't missed one yet since I started going 4 years ago after moving to Virginia always a good one

Becca

Comment

Originally posted by DANCINGEAGLE
                  Hey PW, when you come, introduce yourself to me. I'll be drumming with Falling Water and, most likely, be dancing that day if I can get my outfit together in time. Ace, you know it's always good to have you there.

uh oh............dancing.........you.......now i know i'll have seen everything. (hahahahaha)

i'll be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lapis Queen
                    HEY DE,

We should be there.

Can the hubby and I grab a couch, floor, anything available for that weekend? So much to catch up on. Miss you guys. Tell mom and sister I said hello.

K
                    No problem. Looking forward to having you. Hopefully, it will be good weather that weekend.
                    Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

Who all is coming to this pow-wow - always fun!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

I'll be there if all goes well and my car doesn't die first( it's on it's last powwow leg)..LOL on the look out for another cheap car.

Becca

Comment

New - Updated Press Release....

PRESS RELEASE

CHICKAHOMINY INDIAN TRIBE
                          c/o Keith Wynn, Pow Wow Chairman

Chickahominy Tribal Center

8200 Lott Cary Road

Providence Forge, VA 23140
                          Telephone: (804) 966-2448 or (804) 829-2027

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                          August 8, 2005

NATIVE AMERICANS TO GATHER IN CHARLES CITY, VIRGINIA

Native Americans from throughout the country will join the Chickahominy Indian Tribe as they celebrate their 54th Annual Fall Festival and Pow-Wow; Saturday and Sunday, September 24 and 25, 2005; on the Chickahominy Tribal Grounds in Charles City County, Virginia. Grounds open at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 24, with Grand Entry at 12:00 noon. Sunday hours are 11:00-6:00 p.m., with Grand Entry at 1:00 p.m. The festival/Pow-Wow will feature Native American dancers, drummers, singers and crafters. The longest running traditional Pow-Wow in Virginia, the Chickahominy gathered in 1951 at Samaria Indian School, which is now home to Samaria Baptist Church. The Pow-Wow/Fall Festival later moved to the current tribal grounds. The Chickahominy Indian Tribe was among those which witnessed the coming of the colonists in 1607.

Keith Wynn, Pow-Wow Coordinator and member of the Chickahominy Tribal Council, believes that the Chickahominy Pow-Wow is an excellent way for the public to share the rich Virginia Indian culture directly with the Indian people. “The 54rd annual Fall Festival and Pow-Wow promises to be an exciting event for all who choose to attend,” comments Wynn. “The Chickahominy Indian Tribe strives to provide a wholesome family environment in which people can learn about the Tribe through song, dance, crafts, lectures and informal conversation.”

All veterans will be honored during the Grand Entry ceremonies each day with special recognition to soldiers currently serving in the Middle East. Native American crafters will have jewelry, pottery, beadwork, leather crafts, and other Native American arts and crafts for sale. Historical and cultural demonstrations, including backwoods survival demonstrations are planned.

Special dance exhibitions will take place at various times each day. Food will be available and will feature Indian Fry Bread/tacos, hamburgers and hot dogs, fish and chips and plenty of cold beverages.

Marvin “Many Horses” Burnette will serve as the Master of Ceremonies for this year’s Gathering. A member of the Oglala Tribe, Lakota Sioux Nation of South Dakota, and career U.S. Army Veteran, Burnette is a favorite at Pow-Wows across the nation, frequently invited to serve as MC or traditional lead male dancer. Honored to serve, Burnette says, “Although all native people have their own tribal traditions, when we approach the circle, we share differences in cultures as we dance as “One People.”

The featured host drum will be Kau-Ta-Noh, Jrs., from Pembroke, North Carolina. Several drums have been invited. Lead male dancer is Keith Anderson, Cherokee/Catawba and Executive Director of the Red Crooked Sky dance troupe. Jessica Canaday, Miss Chickahominy, will serve as the lead female dancer. Jay Hill, Seneca/Objibwa, will be the Arena Director.

The festival is open to the public. No admission is charged; however, donations will be appreciated. Transportation from the parking lot and seating will be available for senior adults and disabled citizens. Tribal officials recommend that attendees bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. Due to health and safety regulations, pets are not permitted on Pow-Wow grounds.

For further information about the 54th annual Pow-Wow/Fall Festival, , including directions to the Chickahominy Tribal Grounds, please visit our website at www.chickahominytribe.org (Events) or call (804) 829-2027 or (804) 966-2448.

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

This is a great event. I love it and the people are wonderful. There is the one ugly guy, Glen C. You all let him know you saw that here, he'll get a laugh out of it, or a complex. He's just one of the many lady killers :) See ya'all there!!

Comment

One great thing about this pow-wow has been that it always seems to hit when movies are being filmed in Virginia - so there has been a plenty of celebs that have come here. I still have the picture when Richard Gere came and asked could he sit at the drum and sing...they assigned me to watch over him....lol...now that was funny. He was very humble though, and very gracious and signed a few autographs for everyone - that was before the crowd got too big. When we filmed Broken Chain, we took the whole crew there - that was wild too.

Has John Adams begun filming here yet? Look for more movies stars to come out....this pow-wow has a great hometown cozy feeling....love the Chickahominy community.

Have a great night....

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.