Salamanca Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoke_dancer14
    not a bad powwow for a whole new committiee, despite the rain. but we just gotta have rain. attracted all sorts of dancers once again it is getting bigger.
    mens traditional: tough comp had 5 songs sunday
    1st- adrain klien
    2nd- conrad medicine rope
    3rd-will tushka
    4th-charles belisle?!?
    5th- maungun shawanda?!?!
    also like how they split the categories once again
    head staff did an excellent job and made the right decisions.. hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did...
    Good job Cherokee boys. Will and all them Awohali guyz rackin it up. wicked.
    bucwild2012

Comment

Where and who are Southern Avenue?

Originally posted by Blue Devils Advocate
      Drum Contest Results (I believe this is correct)

Southern

1. Southern Avenue
      2. Otter Trail
      3. Black Bear
      4. White Hawk

Northern

1. Eagle Flight - they were jamming ALL weekend
      2. Young Guns
      3. Stoney Creek
      4. Awohali

Consolation: Old Bridge, Iron Necklace
      I'm only here to provoke a reaction because I can!

Comment

Originally posted by nena
        Whats up with not posting the winners?? All the hype before, now nothing?? Come on share the info.
        Hey does anyone know what happened to that dancer who was taken away in an ambulance??? Is he ok???
        I think he recovered OK. He came back to his drum before the end of the powwow so I assume everything was alright. Good to see that it wasn't anything too serious.
        "They go out, kick butt, shake your hand and walk off the court." -- Sportswriter and longtime UNC supporter, Art Chansky, on Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils

"I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now." Roy Williams, April 7, 2003

Comment

I believe that he was just overheated...glad he was o.k. Total list of winners will be poster later this afternoon...still recuperating and getting back to the real job...BDAdvocate-pm me w/the info that the gentleman from Anadarko wants to give us...thanx
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

From what I could tell, Southern Avenue was actually a northern group singing southern. I think I heard mention that they were from Ontario and the Chicago area. I saw their CD....can't remember their northern name. It was kinda obvious to me they were northern--they wore SHORTS at a southern drum, royally butchered the Ponca Flag Song, frantically had to rehearse a Trot (actually a Horse Stealing Song that they sung), and really screwed up a Ruffle Song. I thought the committee was going to give the fancy dancers another song after that, but I think time was just too much of an issue. Good voices, though. Probably about 12 guys, all fairly young.

Comment

Men's Grass

Who won contemp mens grass?

anyone know?

Comment

Kiwidream102: Who won contemp mens grass?
                anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it was Ronnie Preston(sp?)
                onodowa'ga:' gal

Comment

Originally posted by Glazed Frybread
                  From what I could tell, Southern Avenue was actually a northern group singing southern. I think I heard mention that they were from Ontario and the Chicago area. I saw their CD....can't remember their northern name. It was kinda obvious to me they were northern--they wore SHORTS at a southern drum, royally butchered the Ponca Flag Song, frantically had to rehearse a Trot (actually a Horse Stealing Song that they sung), and really screwed up a Ruffle Song. I thought the committee was going to give the fancy dancers another song after that, but I think time was just too much of an issue. Good voices, though. Probably about 12 guys, all fairly young.
                  Geez, someone sounds bitter that Sounthern Ave. won...

Comment

Somebody should tell those southern drums that sang at Niagara Falls, that they can't sing without long pants.

It was hot!

Comment

haters

too much hatred towards southern ave i thought they sounded excellent.. adrian and his boys should travel more and show everyone how they sing southern chicago style.
                      mens grass contemporary:
                      ronnie preston
                      mat phez
                      neeso shawanda

Comment

Does anyone have the full list of winners????

Tallinjun
                        I'm a Lover, not a Fighter!!!!

Comment

Salamanca Winners

proper protocal for the southern drums is and always have been long pants, if you are from the south you would know this, also I thought it was kinda pitiful that the northern boys beat a drum that wins alot of southern drum contest and have traveled a long way to enter as it was adertivsed as a southern drum contest. altho the drum did sound good, the drum beat was way off, as I did dance to it and am from the south. if al and the boys knew this was to happen maybe they would have saved their gas money and went somewhere else. also there were alot of northern dancers jumping into the southern contest, are they northern or southern, oh well this is to be debated i guess. anyway it was a great powwow, the powwow committee did a great job.

Comment

Guess there weren't any hard core pows-wow.com folks at this one aye?....lol Nobody scratchin down the winners list to be the first to post?......lol

Comment

Originally posted by Glazed Frybread
                              One of my Cousins is a Kiowa from Okee , and he said they were trying to sing a Kiowa flag song, really jacked it up. I dont think that noones hating on them for trying to sing southern, but for trying to sing songs theyre not supposed and messing up on them , and winning after all that. But you know that was a northern powwow, and they were northern fellaz, hmmmm...am I right?...

Comment

Well first off I'd like to say a big thanks to all those who came out and helped us kick off a "new beginning" shall we say, for our pow wow. As I had mentioned in earlier threads, our Nation had taken this back over and was basically starting from stratch with only 6 weeks til pow wow time. All of us were committed to making this pow wow what it once was-good. We thought by adding new categories it would attract more people, and add for some good singing, dancing & spectating. Well I thought we totally achieved that this year. It was a great time-despite on and off showers. I've been reading this thread and have had a lot of thoughts going through my head-both negative and positive, but for the most part I just hope everyone understands or reminds themselves that no pow wow is perfect. Everyone always has doubts in their minds at every gathering about how things went, but in the end it is what it is. To the Southern people who didn't agree with some of the things, I'm sure when the Northern people go down south they think the same thing of your ways. For the Northern dancers who danced in Southern categories, well believe it or not there are Southern dancers up here. Sure they were not raised down south and may not fully understand the customs and traditions of things, but they want to learn and try, otherwise why else would they be dancing that style. Or some may just be good dancers who were showing their versatility by dancing, and for some- placing, in a different category. I myself being Iroquois where the Smoke dance originated, do not mind when I see other dancers from different areas dancing Smoke Dance. I feel honored that they are trying. And one southern fella actually even dances better and places better than some of our Smoke Dancers back home. But I don't complain. If there was a serious issue I'd go up to him/her personally and tell them what I think needs to be changed. I hope some of you will approach manners in a similar way also.

Being a "spectator" at many pow wows, it has occurred to me that a lot of pow wows are now adding the category splits. Everyone has begun to noticed that Northern people stay in the north because they do not place down south and vice versa; perhaps thats why a few good people have added the extra categories at their pow wows to stop a mini segregation before it gets worse. And with travel challenges such as the distance, weather and rising gas costs playing an important factor, I know it's not worth it for some people to go to other regions. But we try, why? because we want to keep the culture alive. We want to go someplace and come back saying "Wow I seen a such-n-such dancer this weekend that I haven't seen before" or "Oh so-and-so came to this powwow, I've heard a lot about them, they're good" Admit it-we all talk when the pow wow's over. Why not have something good to say?

Anyways, (stepping off the soap box :)), I don't mean to offend anyone by my writing, just posting my opinion as a committee member. Our committee this year tried to make it interesting and will continue to do so in coming years. We hope that a few bad seeds don't ruin it for the rest of the bunch, but we'll strive to keep everything running smooth. I asked another committee member to posts the results, but we too have been very busy getting back to reality. I had a great time and thank all those who made it fun to go down and help out at both the pow wows. I hope to see y'all next year-same time, same weekend, same place!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.