What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?

I wanted to ask you guys something. What do you think of somebody who is part of the powwow committee and was also hired to be the head man dancer and then enters and wins a memorial special and also the men's traditional special. Anyway, I thought it was kind of tacky but what do you guys think.

No matter how good you are, it will always appear to be "shakey" if you know what I mean.....as in "hand shake" type of shakey....
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

If a person is on the Powwow Committee, I personally don't think they should have been hired as the Head Dancer. The Committee should have hired someone else. As far as that person entering the special contests, I've seen that happen before. This well known lady southern buckskin dancer was a Southern Judge, entered a special contest and won that contest. I thought that wasn't right at that time. We've been taught that you don't contest if you're on the Head Staff. Money and greed makes you do strange things.

Comment

I think that head dancers should not compete in the competitions sponsored by the pow wow comittee because they are already being paid to dance through a honorarium so the prize money should be available to the people competing. But special competitions, say that are sponsored by a family for a particular dance category and age, should be fair game for any dancers that meet the requirements, including the head dancers. Those specials are usually sponsored by a family to honor someone, so when all those dancers participate, they honor that family and individual. If money, jackets, and/or a trophy are part of the winnings, they are a result of that honor given by the dancers by dancing hard. Same with the host drum, they should not compete in the singing competition run by the pow wow committee because they are getting an honorarium; the contest money should be available to the drums competing. But if there is a special singing contest sponsored by a family, then they should be allowed to participate.

My $00.02

Comment

Originally posted by badmaninc
          I wanted to ask you guys something. What do you think of somebody who is part of the powwow committee and was also hired to be the head man dancer and then enters and wins a memorial special and also the men's traditional special. Anyway, I thought it was kind of tacky but what do you guys think.

It's nice when the head staff sits out the contests because they are already being honored and paid.

Comment

ok ok ok

I've Been To A Few Powwow's Where I Had To Think Isn't That Guy Like The Powwow Committee Or Something, Then Go Thru All The Songs And See Him Get Picked By His Friends Or Family To Win The Special But I, In My Own Personal Opinon Is If Your Any Kind Of Committee Or Putting On A Memorial Or Special You Should Sit It Out And Watch.
            I Seent His One Guy Have A Men's Tradish Special And Won His Own Special. How Crazy Is That?
            I'M HAVING PEPSI WISHES AND INDIAN TACO DREAMS

Comment

No, they should sit it out, it is only right and does not look well on the whole situation.

Comment

Originally posted by drewada
                But special competitions, say that are sponsored by a family for a particular dance category and age, should be fair game for any dancers that meet the requirements, including the head dancers.
                That's what I was told too.

It's disheartening to see Head-Dancers (like at GON) compete in the regular contests and win, doesn't look good at all.

Comment

Thanks for the input, dudes. I thought I was just getting picky in my old age.

Comment

Well I ALWAYS win the specials I dance in..cuz I sponsor them myself...how else do u win, when all the politics are so dang THICK on the circut?......owno, Yeah I agree with the others, the head staff should stay outta the regular contests and committee sponsored specials but if its a family run specials then its all good!
                    "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

Originally posted by badmaninc
                      Thanks for the input, dudes. I thought I was just getting picky in my old age.
                      So are you an elder?
                      Last edited by Joe's Dad; 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
                        So are you and elder?

NO,NO,NO, NO!!!!!! I am just some poor ndn making my way in this world. Plus I am not even a grandfather or anything.

Comment

Sounds rather self-defeating to me. As you know the head man is an honorable position filled by one who is repectable with a good reputation. If a committee member fills this position and is paid for it---he is then neither respected or honorable. The head dancers are also dancers who would do well for PR in bringing more singers and dancers from different regions.....if the head man is already a part of the committee then that would be a missed opportunity for the committee/unwise investment. ......juss my humble opinion....
                          "DANTS in beauty!"

Comment

I was always raised that if you were a head dancer, then u shouldn't contest. Like someone else said, they are being paid, recognized for being head dancer. Let the people who have traveled and spent their own $$ have a fair chance. But I agree that special contests are the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakeeya
                              That's what I was told too.

It's disheartening to see Head-Dancers (like at GON) compete in the regular contests and win, doesn't look good at all.
                              I was surprised when that lady was head dancer and got first also. I don't think that is right!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.