No announcement yet.

Did anybody Go to the powwow in pomona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anybody Go to the powwow in pomona?

I went

I went to the powwow and stayed for 11 hours.Its the first time i ever stayed so long.There was alot going on.I liked to see the grand entry.There were alot of dancers.They even let us take pictures.So cool.Were you there?Where were you sitting?Maybe i seen you there.

Comment

Where was Pomona??
      Fall down 7 times, get up 8. MY FAMOUS WORDS.

Comment

The pomona powwow was the Southern Ca. Indian Center pow-wow.It was ok, we got back about 2am this morning becuz it didn't end until 7:30 or so last night. 5 drums showed up plus the two host, the drums who won were ALL LOCAL, as usual for a california pow wow. The two that got the gate were singers from Az. Blu Thunder and Southside-a pick up drum of southern dancers.
        It was nice that it was inside a big building but the sound was really bad...due to the buiding, it was one of those exhibition halls w/ a hard concrete floor and tin walls and roof. everything echoed. Not a lot of dancers, though.
        Maybe everybody already learned the secret to So. Ca. pow wows, unless you live there, you won't place!
        Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by travlngrl
          The pomona powwow was the Southern Ca. Indian Center pow-wow.It was ok, we got back about 2am this morning becuz it didn't end until 7:30 or so last night. 5 drums showed up plus the two host, the drums who won were ALL LOCAL, as usual for a california pow wow. The two that got the gate were singers from Az. Blu Thunder and Southside-a pick up drum of southern dancers.
          It was nice that it was inside a big building but the sound was really bad...due to the buiding, it was one of those exhibition halls w/ a hard concrete floor and tin walls and roof. everything echoed. Not a lot of dancers, though.
          Maybe everybody already learned the secret to So. Ca. pow wows, unless you live there, you won't place!
          I would disagree with you about the ALL LOCAL thing for So. Cal pow-wows. I have been to many of them and find that most have integrity. Most committees seem to work hard to provide good prize money and try to keep everything on the up and up. There weren't a lot of dancers but the singing was good from all drums and the judges for dance contests were balanced. The committee provided Blue Thunder with a consolation prize so I don't know what the guff is all about. If you don't like the way the chips fall at So. Cal pow-wows, maybe you should stay home.

Comment

Really?

I wouldn't say that integrity had anything to do with it. If it did, the first place winners wouldn't have even entered given that they were all pretty much drunk most of the weekend, including yesterday during the pow wow! Of those singers and such that I spoke w/ yesterday, ALL agreed that Outlaws would get 1st. It was just a given due to who they know and who they are. What would have been refreshing is if they wouldn't have placed at all. And how nice for the committee to give a consolation prize to Blu thunder and not the 5th drum? For pete's sake, the outlaws didn't even set up or sing on Friday night and the other drums did, they should have been given a drum split or something just for being there and singing for one session more than the winning singers!
            I also wasn't saying anything negative about the committee, obviously they worked hard, I heard a few grumbles from the spectators about the cost to get in, the cost to park, the distance from the parking lot to the dance, but I didn't experience any of those problems. I also talked to some people who came just to watch and refused to contest because they have the same notion that I do, about CA. locals winning.
            Sorry to say, but I'm not the only one who's experienced this, so it's no wonder that there weren't many dancers!!!
            Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime.

Comment

pomona pow wow

Well, first off, the pow wow committe really didn't spare anyone who had to drive from out of town...meaning those who got stuck in rush hour traffic, road construction etc. As it took us over 5 hours of driving through frigging bumper to bumper traffic only to miss grand entry and (100) points by 15 minutes..and on top of that, miss the spot check which pretty much assured anyone who made grand entry on friday..one of the top 4 spots .. To make matters worse, dancers had to dance on some pretty hard concrete floors and if you wanted a chance at spot check points, danced all three days on that cement..too bad the committe didn't take this into consideration for the dancers.... To me, I seen some of the same judges , judge the drum contest.not only once, but twice...and them same judges also "sit in" with the winning southern drum, during an inter tribal... favortism it could be mistaken for in some peoples eyes..myself i would have appreciated a more "rounded rooster of drum judges" to drown out the bias......but that just comes from lack of experience on part of the AD's responsibilities. The gym was frigging hot, not matter where you walked, even some of the vendors complained...maybe the pow wow committee should have gotten up from there chairs ..and walked around..and got peoples comments..some air would have been nice..and yes i agree..that walk was pretty far..specially carrying kids and regalia, drums etc....I really didn't care for this pow wow, and will pass on it in the future..but thank you anyhow.

Comment

Great Points!

Those are all some really great comments! I had no idea Friday night grand entry was so high, at other CA pow wows that I've been to they give less points for Friday night, so everyone still has a chance to catch up if they miss it. And yeah, those spot checks were just dumb! Weren't there like 3 of them? I still don't understand what those are for, since the last one was where they called all the dancers onto the floor and then took numbers!!!
                Oh and yes, the floor was REALLY hard, my feet hurt just from walking on it in sandals, as I wasn't dancing. I felt bad for the dancers who had to endure ALL those intertribals, spot checks, etc.
                I posted the winners that I remembered and could UNDERSTAND as the sound in the building was terrible. Given the issues with grand entry points, spot check points and judges maybe folks will see why certain people placed and others didn't. I'll say "placed", since they more than likely didn't win but got in there due to point accumulation, which isn't really a dance contest after all, is it?

Comment

~2005 S.C.I.C. Pow Wow~

S.C.I.C. POWWOW RESULTS
                  LA COUNTY FAIRPLEX
                  JULY 29 - 31, 2005

Jr. Girls Combined (all categories)
                  4. Auriah Begay 3. Alendra Logan 2. Jessica Yazzie 1. Larissa Bohay

Jr. Boys Combined (all categories)
                  4. Nathan Logan 3. Robert Solis 2. Eric Bohay 1. Jared Yazzie

Teen Girls No./So. Traditional
                  4. Dana Favel 3. Eunique Bob 2. Amanda Campos 1. JaShun Tsosie

Teen Girls Jingle
                  4. Joyce McCarter 3. Yvonne Brice 2. Megan Stately 1. Terry John

Teen Girls Fancy Shawl
                  4. Kristin Smith 3. Lindsay Etcitty 2. Kathy Hummingbird 1. Sonia Sierra

Teen Boys No./So. Traditional
                  1. Silas Perkins

Teen Boys Grass
                  4. Cory Etcitty 3. Cory Webster 2. Leigh Yazzie 1. Jackson Tahuka

Teen Boys Fancy
                  2. Benjamin Zotigh 1. O'Steen Bob

Golden Age (Women's)
                  4.Toni Allrunner Hawk 3. Annie Begay 2. Maryne Stately 1. Georgia Adson

Golden Age (Men's)
                  4. Ronnie Ahboah 3. Henry Allen 2. Barry Hamilton 1. Norman Largo

Women's No/So Cloth
                  4. Devin Lopez 3. Lisa Hunt 2. Michelle Allrunner 1. Leya Hale

Women's No/So Buckskin
                  4. Jacinta Tsosie 3. Shane Lone Chief 2. Sammie Dominguez 1. Sandra Logan

Women's Jingle
                  4. Dina Ross 3. Pam James 2. Memory Ponicoppo 1. Tashina John

Women's Fancy Shawl
                  4. Heidi Navarro 3. Naomi Bebo 2. Patricia John 1. Teresa Jim

Men's No Traditional
                  4. Pete Buffalohead 3. Ernest Big Medicine 2. Dallon Maybee 1. Nathan Largo

Men's So Straight
                  4. Shude Victors 3. Greg Poahway 2. Kelly Yackytoonapah 1. Chris Denetdale

Men's Grass
                  4. Andrew WindyBoy Sr. 3. Dean Webster 2. Calvin Miller 1. Andrew WindyBoy Jr.

Men's Fancy
                  4. Tyson Draper 3. Sheldon Johnson 2. Dennison Brown 1. Rick Yazzie

Drums
                  3. Bear Springs 2. Green River 1. Oklahoma Outlawz

This was our first trip to this powwow, it was a cool! The powwow had a N.A.U. fieldhouse feel to it. :) Really bad echo...
                  We didn't get back home until around 2:00a this morning.
                  TY, Vonnie for the results.
                  Last edited by Grizzly; 08-02-2005, 01:33 AM.
                  **"Father eagle will always guide and protect."**

Comment

drum contest

Wow lots of negativity, So those darn drunk all weekend outlaws just had no business winning that drum contest, Did they sound that bad? I am sorry if you are not satisfied, but I sang as hard as I could every song and felt that we sounded pretty ok. It is not like so. cal is the only place I have won a drum contest. I have been fortunate to have won all across the united states and canada and offer no apologies for winning. I happen to believe that it is feasible to accept the fact that the Oklahoma Outlaws desearved the first place finish, as well as any drum there. I can't understand why people are bitter when they do not win. never in my entire life have I felt the need to judge other people and tell the world what an injustice it is when we fail to win or place. that is really sad.

Glen Ahhaitty- lead singer
                    G

Comment

goot one

Oklahoma Outlawz is some good singing. Glen Ahaity is one of the best.

Comment

Very well put Glenn. Seems to me when the only reason you go to a powwow is to sit there and "judge" other people and complain about everything, it's time for you to stay home! The only person you're hurtin when you refuse to dance is yourself and if that's because only the "locals" win, then the only reason you're dancing is for the money? Where's the integrity in that? It just so happens that So. Cal has a lot of very good singers and good dancers! That could be the reason why most of the winners are from around the area! DUH!!
                        The drum contest didn't start till saturday and the Ok Outlaws were singing on friday, but they were helping out the southern head singer, cause you know, that's the kinda thing they do! They well deserved their first place win, they rocked the house and received many compliments from Indians and non-indians!! Hmmmm, about them being drunk all weekend? How would you know? Because somebody said so? Unless you know these guys personally, don't make judgements about them, especially just because "somebody" said so. Anyone who knows these men know what they're about, and it ain't all about the money! They sing because they enjoy it and if they can use that to their advantage and win, why not?
                        So, if going to powwows in southern Cal makes you that bitter, stay home, we can do without all the negativity from you! We get enough of that from white people, do we really have to hear it from other so called "indians" also?!?

Debra Bohay
                        Last edited by laokie; 08-02-2005, 01:25 PM.
                        >>BOOMER~SOONER<<
                        >>>>>><<>><<<<<<

Comment

Drum Contest??

Well, I wasn't the only one who noticed that 4 of the judges on Saturday night were from the very same SOUTHERN drum that the Outlaws were "helping" out with on Friday. And then some of those same guys also judged AGAIN on Saturday. What kind of win is that? Yes, Glen, we know you've won all over the US and all that, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Outlaws probably wouldn't have placed had they not known who they know. Why defend it, you won didn't you?
                          Other people have a right to post their opinion and OBSERVATIONS, it's not like anyone is lying or spreading gossip, since everyone at the pow wow knew who the drum judges were and it's not like the Outlaws were hiding themselves when they were in the parking lot drinking...

Shakespeare once said 'methinks the lady doth protest too much'. I believe that means guilt leads to defensive-ness, so my point is, why defend yourselves, just accept how and why you won and let it go. Obviously the committee didn't care too much when they gave y'all the prize money...I've seen worse things happen. I just wouldn't call it a 'contest' per se.

Comment

Me thinks someone didn't win and showing his bitterness a little bit too much!! Come on, be a real "champ" and lose with grace & dignity! Hmmm and how do you know they were in the parking lot drinking? Maybe you were there too?? And what's there to feel guilty about? The judging? sorry, but they called it like they heard it! No guilty feelings here! I am proud that they won! And regardless of what you losers think, they deserved it!!
                            >>BOOMER~SOONER<<
                            >>>>>><<>><<<<<<

Comment

I didn't go to the powwow but I was wondering why Star Roubideaux didn't show her muscle in making sure this powwow would work out. SCIC is pretty much old blood so Star has some work cut out for her. She's young and unlike the old fogies.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X