2005 Western Navajo Fair Powwow - October 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're raffling off a big ol' wicked Buffalo Robe!!! *GASPS*
    I'm gonna buy so many tickets, it'll be my sole reason for going to the Fair, ha, Yeahhhh!!

Star Blanket Jr's hit the road and are en route, getcha tape recorders ready cause these guys can jam all cool. sho ya.

They're having 4 contest specials @ the powwow, should be fun.
    Dance harder.

Comment

What specials are on the agenda? Maybe they'd be worth going for. Always windy and cold. One way into the Fair grounds. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy
        hey ganado is within 75 miles. its a lonnnng 75 miles.. they need to build a *hopi bypass* thats the part that slows everything down on that cheap road.

oh and i shall be around on friday night. and maybe sitting somewhere near the host n. hope to see some of you guys anyways.
        Wear a bright yellow shirt or a hot pink shirt like Mr. BoJangles so you stand out in the crowd!

Comment

I will be coming to this powwow Friday! Hear Star Blanket, and check out grand entry and head home... prolly check out the Gallup one on Saturday!!! But this one should be good...
          "~~<~~~Miss Nikita~~~>~~"

http://www.myspace.com/kitagal is where i be lol

Comment

hey nikita thats insane...!
            thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno
              Friday: Sunny - High: 78° Low: 45°

Saturday: A few clouds, mostly Sunny - High: 77° Low: 43°

Sunday: Isolated T-Storms - High 70°F Low 39°F Precip. 30 %
              Thursday: winds ENE at 5-10 mph, light and variable tonight.

Friday: winds E at 5-10 mph during the day and light and variable in the evening.

Saturday: mix of sun and clouds.

Sunday: scattered thunderstorms.

Comment

There aren't any Men's Specials, but there are FOUR Ladies specials so get yer all around outfits out and your changing blanket!! Yahooo.
                Dance harder.

Comment

Navajo fair expects thousands
                  Families attend to reconnect

Betty Reid
                  The Arizona Republic
                  Oct. 13, 2005 12:00 AM

As many as 50,000 people gather to feast on gourmet Native American foods and renew ancestral ties once a year on a red sandstone slab below pale blue skies.

The 37th-annual To'Nanees'Dizi Diné Fair, which runs Thursday through Sunday in Tuba City, is one of the largest gatherings of Native Americans in northern Arizona. A separate event nearby, sponsored by the Hopi Tribe's Upper Moenkopi Village, is Tuuvi Gathering, expected to draw about 2,000 visitors Saturday and Sunday.

Rarely does a gathering this large occur in this 10,000-resident community. Tuba City's motels receive reservations six months in advance.

For residents it's a time to flee or face hordes of out-of-town relatives, who claim every inch of space in their homes. Their cupboards run bare, utility bills spike and front yards get rearranged.

Loren Colorado, manager of the Navajo fair and a Tempe resident, said the event is a time for Native families to reconnect and strengthen their bonds to To'Nanees'Dizi, a name for Tuba City that means streams of water that cover the earth when it rains.

"Arizona has a strong Native presence, although it's not brought out in large cities like Phoenix," Colorado said. "There's a lot of people from the homeland who live and work down in the Valley. They charge up here and treat the event as a unique holiday. Each comes for a purpose. Each walks away with a memorable experience."

The four-day mega-event is tailor-made for avid fairgoers. Beginning the week before is a sacred nine-day event called the Night Chant, or Tl'éé'j'í. It is a traditional curing rite involving dancers called Yeis, who impersonate Navajo gods and are empowered to cure diseases.

More contemporary events include a large powwow, a rodeo, a carnival and a Native arts market that draws top-of-the-line Navajo, Hopi and Zuni silversmiths and a country and western concert.

Except for the parade, all activities will be held east of Tuba City, including a Rick Trevino concert Friday night.

The three-hour parade on Saturday is the peak of the fair. Families camp along the route as the parade crawls west on Edgewater Drive/Monave Road past the Historic Tuba City Trading Post.

As 28,000 people wait for the parade to start, Navajo, Hopi and Zuni entrepreneurs emerge to sell jewelry, roasted piñon nuts, T-shirts and prepared food suited to Native taste buds like fry bread wrapped in roasted mutton sandwiches.

Marietta Yazzie, a Phoenix resident, plans to travel home to attend the fair. It's a perfect place to see members of the Tangle People clan, her mother's matrilineal group.

One weekend a year, Yazzie said she can walk the parade route and the fairgrounds and look at thousands of faces that look like hers.

"I'm soooooo excited," Yazzie said. "The best time of the year for me."

It's a time to gobble forbidden Native foods declared unhealthy recently by Indian activists. People sell fry bread, roasted corn stew, dumpling stew with drops of mutton and the famous mutton stew.

Uninvited but always expected is the wind. Fairgoers often disregard Mother Nature and lean into the often 20-mph wind to carry on, even when it feels miserable.

It messes with straw cowboy hats and hairdos, makes long skirts swish and clogs ears and noses with dust. Phoenix resident and former Arizona Superintendent for Public Instruction Carolyn Warner recounted a windstorm at the parade that made her feel "sandpapered."

Formerly called the Western Navajo Fair, the event started in 1968 with the Night Chant, a small rodeo, a carnival, a 15-minute parade that offered a rare glimpse of Miss Navajo and a country and western dance for Tuba City's youth. Making appearances were budding recording giants such as Don Williams and Merle Haggard and tribal bands such as The Sundowners and The Zuni Midnighters.

In recent years, Tuba City has become widely known as the hometown of Hispanic-Hopi soldier Lori A. Piestewa, who was killed in Iraq in 2003. The mother of two became the first Native American woman to die in combat, and her death thrust her parents into the spotlight when Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built a house for them in Flagstaff in April.

Navajos also know Tuba City as the home of former Navajo Nation Chairman Peter MacDonald, who remains popular despite past political troubles.

The community is home to members of Hopi and San Juan Paiutes whose land bases are located within the larger Navajo Nation.

High gas prices and the weather, especially intense winds, could deter visitors, said Colorado, who started watching the Weather Channel weeks before the fair. It calls for clear skies and chilly nights, for now.

"It's hard to make thousands of people happy," Colorado said. "I do my best."

Reach the reporter at [email protected] or (602) 444-8049.

Comment

For residents it's a time to flee or face hordes of out-of-town relatives, who claim every inch of space in their homes. Their cupboards run bare, utility bills spike and front yards get rearranged.

LMAO!! Isn't this all the time???? LOL!!!
                    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

~2005 Western Navajo Fair Powwow - October 15-16~

Less than 12 hrs til G.E. and we're still undecided on going or not.. LOL
                      **"Father eagle will always guide and protect."**

Comment

[QUOTE=

Marietta Yazzie, a Phoenix resident, plans to travel home to attend the fair. It's a perfect place to see members of the Tangle People clan, her mother's matrilineal group.

haha, so thats where we meet up at.. all my brudders and sissers are in tuba..
                        thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

I wasn't planning on going, I was actually going to watch the USC and Notre Dame game, buuuuut, someone convinced us to go on Saturday. It was cold there. I'm glad I didn't spit up any sand that night, but man walking in that dust is crazy. This was my first time going to the T/C fair, but the rain came down and made everyone run for cover.

Anyone going to San Carlos this weekend for INFR? oh, by the way USC is still #1.
                          Fall down 7 times, get up 8. MY FAMOUS WORDS.

Comment

Got to hear the sounds of: Long Walk Decendents, Starblanket, The Horses, Rocky Park (Mentors), Pinon Boarding School (proteges of Rocky Park), Qua Hola (rising stars), and Thunder House (sounding more like Eagle Creek).

Good jams from all the drum groups that should up although a little rain almost shut down the Saturday evening contest line-ups.

Comment

Qua Hola, props to them! Rocky Park just ran into a "Glitch" LOL!
                              Fall down 7 times, get up 8. MY FAMOUS WORDS.

Comment

~2005 Western Navajo Fair Pow Wow - October 15-16~

Got to hear the sounds of: Long Walk Decendents, Starblanket, The Horses, Rocky Park (Mentors), Pinon Boarding School (proteges of Rocky Park), Qua Hola (rising stars), and Thunder House (sounding more like Eagle Creek).

Good jams from all the drum groups that should up although a little rain almost shut down the Saturday evening contest line-ups.

Missed out on this one... Glad to hear there was a good turn out for drum groups.

Originally posted by **jdazmum**
                                Qua Hola, props to them! Rocky Park just ran into a "Glitch" LOL!

Glad to hear Qua Hola made it out. RP glitch??
                                **"Father eagle will always guide and protect."**

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X