• Black River Falls, WI Labor day POw-Wow

Did anyone go? winners?

from another website...
    women/men fancy
    5 lillian ge/darrell hill
    4 terry hindsley/eric shepard
    3 laticia pima/garyn coons
    2 crystal cleveland/tommy snowball
    1 marcelia (cleveland) whitebreast?/jerry cleveland, jr.

women jingle/men grass
    5 grace pushetonequa/william hindsley
    4 kc hindsley/john snowball
    3 jackie klein/redbird
    2 connie danforth/ron preston
    1 candice johnson/haga cleveland

women/men trad
    5 cheryl funmaker/something prescott
    4 tosha goodwill/truman williams jr
    3 nyree something/kelly logan
    2 andi redman/charlie hindsley
    1 unknown/dana warrington

northern/southern drums
    5 wazi jaci
    4 little eagle (illegal?)
    3 tha bucks / bearheart
    2 smokeytown / southern boyz
    1 ndn soul / buckskin nation - louie sheridan

Comment

The Feather got 2nd!

Someone rigged it so they didn't place at all. They added up their points and it is so.

Comment

Dang that's messed up?!

Comment

Lame!

It sounds like there were a few things found out about this pow-wow once they looked over the results/points. Too dang bad. Anyway, the singing contest was totally fixed. People stuck around and got some answers and got paid. I hope this incident don't ruin this forever dwindling pow-wow......WEAK!
          ohhhh ennniiit??

Comment

Woman's Tradish..
            3rd-Nyree Thunder
            1st-Vannie Wheelock <--not sure if she still goes by that or not.

Congrats to all the winners!!

I heard there is only one person trying to control the whole pw and thats why things turned out the way the did (meaning the singing contest and she doesn't know anything about singing or pw's!! Need to get her out of there.) That's my 2 cents worth!

Originally posted by MariaMaria
            from another website...
            women/men fancy
            5 lillian ge/darrell hill
            4 terry hindsley/eric shepard
            3 laticia pima/garyn coons
            2 crystal cleveland/tommy snowball
            1 marcelia (cleveland) whitebreast?/jerry cleveland, jr.

women jingle/men grass
            5 grace pushetonequa/william hindsley
            4 kc hindsley/john snowball
            3 jackie klein/redbird
            2 connie danforth/ron preston
            1 candice johnson/haga cleveland

women/men trad
            5 cheryl funmaker/something prescott
            4 tosha goodwill/truman williams jr
            3 nyree something/kelly logan
            2 andi redman/charlie hindsley
            1 unknown/dana warrington

northern/southern drums
            5 wazi jaci
            4 little eagle (illegal?)
            3 tha bucks / bearheart
            2 smokeytown / southern boyz
            1 ndn soul / buckskin nation - louie sheridan

Comment

That's so messed up they have the same dance judges for every session. IT's like HELLO??!!
              I heard peps are mad about the powwow and they want someone else to take over on the powwow. Yes, it is getting worse every year they need to put some people in there that know what they are doing!

Comment

I don't ever want to be disrespectful to the veterans that have control over the pow-wow, there is a reason that they have it and we need to respect that.

I will say, if they continue the contest pow-wow they may need to bring in a pow-wow person or include the judges and Arena Director earlier in the planning process. Having said that, a traditional pow-wow wouldn't be a bad idea either, but who knows?

I felt ashamed to see what the response of "pow-wow people". The mistake that was made in the singing contest was an honest mistake. It was unfortunate that the involved singers had to stay around to straighten it out, but the fact was that the tabulation books were "open" and the mistake was found with the full cooperation of the committee, Once the problem was found it was corrected and the singers were paid what they earned in the contest along with apologies.

I agree fixes are in order, but to be disrespectful and to say things are "rigged" with out knowing what happened... I don't know, I guess being anonymous on the Internet affords you that luxury of saying those kinds of things.

All I am saying is that Pow-wows were created so we as NDN people can gather and have a good time and celebrate who we are, all to often the contest aspect creates hard feelings because everyone can’t win. I too have been on the wrong side of the tabulation errors both as a dancer and singer. I try to remain positive and most importantly respectful, it’s not an easy thing to take or handle, but it happens sometimes.

May the creator bless you with good health and safe travel.

Comment

I agree with you Mr. T, a lot of us forget why we have pow-wows. It is not always about the money. Or who wins. Getting to know people and seeing those who you haven't seen. That is what is all about. Time to socialize.
                  When we start to think about how much money we can make in a weekend. Well, I think we lost the whole meaning.
                  When it comes to being on the working end of the pow-wow, I haven't been there. I don't have the right to say what should have been done. As for the drum contest, I have seen the head drum judge and he went around and showed the drums the results. Everyone knew what the scores were.
                  So trying to blame him, or him rigging it. I don't think that is right.
                  Well, that was my two cents.

Comment

I have been to this powwow many times and my husband has won there. Its not easy to come all the way from Canada and place where all your in-law relations are. It sounds like they did make an effort to make things right. If there was a mistake, hopefully they will learn and improve their system and come back with an even better pow wow next year.

Comment

My name is on here and so is my picture, not very anonymous.

I'm not blaming anyone. I don't sing. I just thought the real winners should be posted.
                      Last edited by ~danielle~; 09-12-2005, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.