Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is hospitality lacking at today's pow wows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is hospitality lacking at today's pow wows?

One thing I really noticed over the last decade is the decline in hospitality at pow wows. Contest pow wows are great fun, but they shouldn't overshadow the true spirit of a pow wow.

Feeds are not common anymore. Dancers and singers have to pay registration fees for contest. Giveaways are few and far between at most contest dances...still very prevalent at community dances which is great. I can't even remember when I saw rations handed out the last time.

Is it just me being grumpy on a Thursday or has anyone else noticed this trend?
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Oh yeah.....I've noticed it. Not just you.

More like a business now and not "family". And feeds? what feeds......

Also....... what I have noticed about the "give aways" they do have are just for committee members. Hmm...... aren't they apart of who is supposed to be giving away???? Heck.......forget the show of handing out a stack of pendletons and pass out some $10 gas cards to some people.

Yeah.......dont' get me started.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Maybe I just know where the food is...

Down in Louisiana, there were feeds at pretty much every PW I attended.

In Hilliard (Columbus, OH), all participants and families were fed.

In OK and CO, where someone had a special event to celebrate, there were family feeds going on.

Schemitzun, in their early years, had great buffets.

Some flyers I seen use this as an incentive to attract "family-type" participants.
      "We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~

Comment

hey hey hey

They are only a few pws organizations that are hospitable, us (RedHawk) being one of them...no registration fee, fruit, snacks, soda, water, coffee throughout the day...we also feed the dancers/singers dinner.

i do get very frustrated at pws when they don't offer anything for dancers/singers. At a few pws I've been to (i'm not gonna name which ones) BUT I no longer go, there isn't even water or food and you have to pay an admission to get in to dance!!!! the dancers are the entertainment for the spectators and you expect the dancers to pay!?!??!?! i don't get it.

I could go on and on.......

Comment

Subconscious changes

Originally posted by Singerdad
          Is it just me being grumpy on a Thursday or has anyone else noticed this trend?
          You must be having a Birthday or Anniversary coming up....
          "We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~

Comment

Of the things you listed the one that I very rarely see is rations.

But at most Okie powwows and at San Manuel and at Browning a few years back, there were feeds either hosted by the committee, tribe or a family. But it has declined, and instead of feeding everyone, most only feed headstaff and/or dancers and singers.

It seems that if you pay admission, then the chances of getting fed is slim to none.

Comment

I noticed that the traditional side of families are kind of getting worn thin with older generations getting older.

To me it seems like the elders who are accustomed to having feasts, or feeds, whatever you want to call it, are getting generally older and don't really do it as much. And the younger generation is still kind of picking up where the left off but just not at the same level.

Not saying everyone, but just in general.

I've been to some feasts where there was one family putting it on and it was by invitation only, and some where it was put on by a community and the whole pow-wow was told to come. But like I said, in general, I noticed a decrease over the years like "singerdad" had said.

AHO

*There are 2 sides to every coin!

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have noticed that there has been a decline in the hospitality area. Some p/w's that I've been to have stopped feeding dancers and singers, or, they just feed the host drum and no one else.

About the giveaways, I've noticed when there is a giveaway it's always the same people being gifted. It doesn't matter what p/w it is, it's always the same people getting gifts.
                Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

Imo, I think the some of the reasons why some powwow committee's don't hardly feed anymore is because some of the powwow people may be getting too demanding and picky. There's a big difference between the powwow people long time ago compared to those now. Now, some want a handout and would show up saying, "I come from a long way and YOU should give me this or that for showing up to sing and/or dance at your powwow." If you don't have enough funds just stay home or go to a powwow more near to where you live. They go around powwows with their hands like cups. It's all give me, give me or give me more, give me more.
                  Anyways, that's how I see it.

Comment

I've lived through the eras of rations everyday to campers and public feeds. They are becoming less and less common with each passing year.

A popular trend right now is to feed only the head staff and their families.

"If you are on HEAD STAFF or specially invited, you can STILL expect top rate hospitality!"
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I'm not an old person by any means, but I remember the ration truck coming along to each camp each morning. Haven't seen this in a long time.

I guess I'm big on feeds because I know that in some communities the pow wow feeds are the only time some kids eat a good meal other than at school. Sad but true.

I agree with the poster about a lot of pow wow people these days being out for #1 a little too much...the me, me, me complex. But, at the same time, the age-old tradition of making visitors welcome shouldn't go to the wayside. Everyone should be welcome. The pow wow should be free. And everyone there should be fed.
                      I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

"Head staff hospitality" has never been better!

At a recent powwow. . .

The head dancers received:

First place money honorarium, roundtrip airfare, hotel lodging, shuttle service, per diem advance and reimbursement for receipts!

plus - t-shirt, powwow book, admission button and orientation packet!

Comment

"Hospitality Bennys"

Originally posted by WhoMe

At a recent powwow. . .

First place money honorarium, roundtrip airfare, hotel lodging, shuttle service, per diem advance and reimbursement for receipts!

I believe you WhoMe, I guess I had better prepare a Pow Wow Resume' so that I can lobby for head-staff "Hospitality Bennys" at the more prominent gatherings.

Comment

Originally posted by vince_j
                            I believe you WhoMe, I guess I had better prepare a Pow Wow Resume' so that I can lobby for head-staff "Hospitality Bennys" at the more prominent gatherings.

vince,

Seriously! Even host drum "bennys" sometime get cross-country roundtrip airfare for their whole drum group, outrageous honorarium, hotel, shuttle service and food per diem!
                            Last edited by WhoMe; 10-13-2005, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe

At a recent powwow. . .

What who failed to mention is that since the Head Staff got 1st class treatment, the rest of the dancers had to pay for parking, to get into the dance, and their own meal.

nice.

*L*

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.