Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is hospitality lacking at today's pow wows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vince_j
    replied
    Charging the vendors

Originally posted by Morningstar Singer
    You want to give the head staff all you mentioned? Let's charge the vendors. Your drum wants more pay? Let's charge the vendors. You want a fancy program to get the head staff's pic in? Let's charge the vendors.

You make a valid point. I now see why I have to pay $5-$8 for an Indian Taco, or $17-$20 for a PW CD. I'm paying the overhead and more fees again!

Then on top of it, the commitee holds a blanket dance for uninvited, traveling drums so they can get gas money for the trip back home.

(2-Day Gate or Registration fee = $10, $3 extra for CD and/or Taco, blanket dance donation = $5) A rough calculation comes to around $20 that I have to pay to dance, sing, or spectate.

All that said, I'm still going to PWs, I will just have to withdaraw more cash at the ATM.

Leave a comment:

• Morningstar Singer
    replied
    You want to give the head staff all you mentioned? Let's charge the vendors. Your drum wants more pay? Let's charge the vendors. You want a fancy program to get the head staff's pic in? Let's charge the vendors.

Now how bout "honoring" the head staff and committee cause we sure have to look good here, let's see, we can charge the vendors AND charge gate fee.

Now staff, let's wipe the word DONATION out of our working vocabulary, there's no such thing. So to make up for that? Hm, you get the point.

Leave a comment:

• billyjoejimbob
    replied
    I have seen some MCs get paid $10,000 for a powwow. Whats the deal. Thats $312 per hour for an 8 hour dayjob. If they work for 20 hrs straight it is still $125 per hour, free food, free hotel and free wait staff.

I have sung with people who are all about the money. "we want $x or we arent coming" "We need some day money" "we need this" "we need that"

Yes, if you are a hosts or invited and cant compete, you should get a little more. But they hold it over the committees head threatening to leave if they dont get more. and if you arent the host at a big powwow you get hassled.

I wasnt around 20-30 years ago but have been told by older singers that may singers today arent REAL singers.

It is now a business, like entertainment. Everyone is going to want the big names, stacked drums and most popular drums instead of their own local guys. Its all about money.

As far as the feed, virtually bank breaking for competition powwows with 100s of dancers. I always see feeds at smaller powwows that are run by families and no sponsors.

And hospitality is dwindling at large powwows, IE-GATHERING security. You cant expect to be treated the same as "dancer #358" as you would as "dancer #8"

Leave a comment:

• geronimo
    replied
    hey, powwows feel the budget crunch too - especially smaller ones that may be funded by grants from arts councils, tourism, etc........

but, i agree there are certain things a committee has to agree to 2 get these people there b/c they make the powwow - however, it should never translate into a "you need me" attitude - i hate that crap

Leave a comment:

• CandaePrincess
    replied
    then you get thursday hugs for having to pay for parking that one time. *L*
    *hugz*

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by CandaePrincess
    It's the idea that if there were so much going into the head staff, there wouldn't be prices such as parking, cost of entering the pow wow, and lo and behold, they might even serve a meal!!
    It used to be an honor to be asked to be on the head staff, now it's like, "I will but only if I get this and this and this".
    Sometimes it's such a waste.
    Oh I agree.

Even with the royal treatment... some head staff still can't be satisfied!

Yes, I HAVE had to pay for parking... a time or two.

Leave a comment:

• CandaePrincess
    replied
    I think the idea WHO is not that we get huck if we have to find a way to the 9, I've been to all of maybe 2 or 3 in my life so it's not about finding a ride. *L* It's the idea that if there were so much going into the head staff, there wouldn't be prices such as parking, cost of entering the pow wow, and lo and behold, they might even serve a meal!!
    It used to be an honor to be asked to be on the head staff, now it's like, "I will but only if I get this and this and this".
    Sometimes it's such a waste.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by CandaePrincess
    What who failed to mention is that since the Head Staff got 1st class treatment, the rest of the dancers had to pay for parking, to get into the dance, and their own meal.

nice.

*L*

and, and not to mention, they had to find their own way to the 49.

Heaven forbid!?

Leave a comment:

• CandaePrincess
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe
    "Head staff hospitality" has never been better!

At a recent powwow. . .

The head dancers received:

First place money honorarium, roundtrip airfare, hotel lodging, shuttle service, per diem advance and reimbursement for receipts!

plus - t-shirt, powwow book, admission button and orientation packet!
    What who failed to mention is that since the Head Staff got 1st class treatment, the rest of the dancers had to pay for parking, to get into the dance, and their own meal.

nice.

*L*

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by vince_j
    I believe you WhoMe, I guess I had better prepare a Pow Wow Resume' so that I can lobby for head-staff "Hospitality Bennys" at the more prominent gatherings.

vince,

Seriously! Even host drum "bennys" sometime get cross-country roundtrip airfare for their whole drum group, outrageous honorarium, hotel, shuttle service and food per diem!
    Last edited by WhoMe; 10-13-2005, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vince_j
    replied
    "Hospitality Bennys"

Originally posted by WhoMe

At a recent powwow. . .

First place money honorarium, roundtrip airfare, hotel lodging, shuttle service, per diem advance and reimbursement for receipts!

I believe you WhoMe, I guess I had better prepare a Pow Wow Resume' so that I can lobby for head-staff "Hospitality Bennys" at the more prominent gatherings.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied

At a recent powwow. . .

Leave a comment:

• Singerdad
    replied
    I'm not an old person by any means, but I remember the ration truck coming along to each camp each morning. Haven't seen this in a long time.

I guess I'm big on feeds because I know that in some communities the pow wow feeds are the only time some kids eat a good meal other than at school. Sad but true.

I agree with the poster about a lot of pow wow people these days being out for #1 a little too much...the me, me, me complex. But, at the same time, the age-old tradition of making visitors welcome shouldn't go to the wayside. Everyone should be welcome. The pow wow should be free. And everyone there should be fed.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    I've lived through the eras of rations everyday to campers and public feeds. They are becoming less and less common with each passing year.

A popular trend right now is to feed only the head staff and their families.

"If you are on HEAD STAFF or specially invited, you can STILL expect top rate hospitality!"

Leave a comment:

• tworedshoes
    replied
    Imo, I think the some of the reasons why some powwow committee's don't hardly feed anymore is because some of the powwow people may be getting too demanding and picky. There's a big difference between the powwow people long time ago compared to those now. Now, some want a handout and would show up saying, "I come from a long way and YOU should give me this or that for showing up to sing and/or dance at your powwow." If you don't have enough funds just stay home or go to a powwow more near to where you live. They go around powwows with their hands like cups. It's all give me, give me or give me more, give me more.
    Anyways, that's how I see it.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.