No announcement yet.

Costume or Regalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i grew up calling it a costume back in THE GOOD OL DAYS before everyone got so PC! back when you could watch "Sanford and Son" "Good Times" 'Chico and the Man" on TV...and we all laughed
    ...Back when real skins were alright with wearing a keen, satin, shiny Washington Redskins Jacket...or Jersey...
    Back when we all knew what AIM was...
    Yeah...I called it a costume...
    BUT now when I just tell my kids to "Go unload your outfits from the van"... OR "You better make sure all your outfit is packed before we leave" ..'OUTFIT' seems more ~today~

Have you ever got there and found out you left a mocassin or your roach, or your kawdz!!! gah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
      Ya know what ... if you talk to the right northerner they would tell ya fancy was a nothern thing that was spread south......

Mato,

I assumed if I also talked to the wrong northerner, I would get the same answer? Hmmmmm* annnnnnnywaysssssss....

___

ndng, andre, na8tiveC, chukchansi,

As Singerdad, Ivanasnagu and I have pointed out, our elders call it a costume.

What happened to "if you want to know the answer, go ask your elders?"

Our elders condoned it and still do. They lived and powwowed before you and I. They lived before our era of political correctness.

Would it be right if you corrected them and told them "Grandpa/grandma, you only wear costumes on Halloween?"
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hi all I too have experienced this I'm not an Elder yet but have been corrected and I tried it and didn't like it. LOL I respect the younger generation and their moves to change a cultural and I understand we are a changing cultural, but some of us, still living like myself would prefer to call it as it is. For me I called it a "costume" because thats what I was taught by my Elders calling it. If I were to say "regalia" ( and this word wasn't even thought of when I was younger) they would of looked at me and laughed and I tried to avoid that if you know what I mean lol, anyways my understanding of the word "costumes" came from the wild bill show when they got a bunch of native americans together to put on a show, I agree with whome about "regalia" would be a european influenced word but thats my opinion lol

Comment

Here's a thought? Are people who make a big deal about what it's called or the ones who do correct people, too uptight to be native????????

*L* I mean afterall.....how many natives do you know who care about being PC in front of their friends or family????

Call it what you want, just don't call me Al. (see who gets that one.)

I better not get bad repped either. For you that don't know me......IT'S A JOKE!!!!!
          Last edited by CandaePrincess; 10-19-2005, 12:43 PM.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Originally posted by CandaePrincess
            . . . And Who....I'll have you know since we last talked I'm up to STEP 4 Thank you very much.

got dangit

and when those nervy white people DO touch my chit, I usually lay into them and say something loud like ........
            "GET OFF ME!!!!!!!!!!"

CandaeCane,

Up to step 4? Congratulations! You have restored my faith in you!

got dangit,

when dose' nervy nonIndian people DO touch my chit, I usually say something loud like......

"NO..... I WON'T SLEEP WITH YOU!!!!"

*L

j/k

Comment

Originally posted by ettareena
              But I usually hear people say, "I'm going to go get dressed." Like they are naked......
              Nope, I would never correct an elder. And I don't call them "costumes" cuz I don't want to get hit either.
              I feel naked when not dressed out in my dance clothes. I go day to day in my life feeling incomplete and naked; guess that's why I have the need to dance, sing, bead, etc.

I would never correct an elder; and I realize they all grew up in a different era. Not to say that calling my dance clothes or regalia a costume is correct; I would not want my children or future grand-children calling it such.

I really like the Halloween holiday; however my kids and I always get a bit pissy over seeing little kids or adults dressed up as "injuns." Makes us want to smear white paint on our faces, and tell them we're caucasians for Halloween.

Comment

I got it, LMAO!
                90% Angel
                10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
                  ...I really like the Halloween holiday; however my kids and I always get a bit pissy over seeing little kids or adults dressed up as "injuns."....
                  WW,

I hear you on your comment about "Halloween Injuns." It is sickening. It should be offensive to any Indian who lives the 'red road.'

___

I know some Cree, Pueblo, Crow, Dine' and Utes who dress in their tribal cloths everyday. "I feel proud to be Indian" when I see them.

However, when I put on my powwow cloths, I do so for only the duration of the powwow. I often kringe when I see others walking around in their powwow outfits (looking at the vendors) when there is no powwow or when there is and they should be in the arena. I also Kringe when I see people with their non traditional paint designs (looking at the crowd wanting to be noticed) when there is no powwow taking place.

In this scenario, it IS a costume.

Comment

Call it what you want, just don't call me Al. (see who gets that one.)

!
                    I get it! Am I showing my age?
                    I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
                    http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

WhoMe, please don't kringe. I peddle goods at powwows and those kinda dancers are my best customers. no kringing. gotta love the show-boaters!! (and hobbyists)

Comment

Originally posted by yeeee
                        WhoMe, please don't kringe. I peddle goods at powwows and those kinda dancers are my best customers. no kringing. gotta love the show-boaters!! (and hobbyists)

Yeee,

I know but,

They steal ALL THE PRETTY WHITE WOMEN!

Comment

I don't have a problem telling people "DON'T TOUCH ME!" Why do some people feel the need to touch your indin clothes???? God that's irritating.

I think the real question we should be asking Who is...."what do you refer to your 49 gear as???" whayyyy
                          I have to agree with you on that. I hate it when they reach for you, like they are getting ready to pet you are something.

I refered to it as my outfit or gear. I have a problem when I hear non-native people refer to it as a costume, I only correct them.
                          "What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself." ~ A.B.
                          When not dancing, I am thinking about dancing.

Comment

I too, was taught that a "costume" is what you wear to pretend on Halloween... I also call it my outfit or regalia. When someone asks me about my "costume" ill tell them its not a costume... I REALLY am Indian. haha They probably feel bad, but so what... haha
                            and i dont get what you mean WHOME, when you said you kringe whenyou see dancers looking at vendors during the powwow... are we supposed to get our jeans on first? I can see what you mean about the non-traditional paint. I always wonder.... is that your family colors/design, are you really related to Mr. Nike?? ayyyes
                            Love the Dance...
                            Feel the Drum

Comment

Originally posted by MissFancyChick
                              . . .and i dont get what you mean WHOME, when you said you kringe whenyou see dancers looking at vendors during the powwow... are we supposed to get our jeans on first?

MissFC,

Okay clarification.

Have you ever seen some guy mixing it up with the tourists in his full outfit . . . two hours before the powwow starts? He's the guy gettin' his picture taken and fielding all the 'everythin' you ever wanted to know about Indians" questions.

and put on jeans first?

Naw go ahead and paint on yo' daisy dukes!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                                Mato,

I assumed if I also talked to the wrong northerner, I would get the same answer? Hmmmmm* annnnnnnywaysssssss....

___
                                I know your just givin me shyt....but yeah.... what i SHOULD have said was .... if you talk to SOME northerners they would prob tell ya what I was talking about ...you know the type .....know everything about everything and they discovered or invented everything from sliced bread to sex .....
                                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.